Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2024, 07:43 AM   #581
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Matthews game has improved to the point he's one of the best 2-way centers in the league which is anything but one-dimensional. He just happens to perform the most difficult task in the NHL better than almost everyone else while excelling at both ends of the ice.
That’s not my point.

I’m saying I’d rather have a classic #1 C the likes of Crosby, Mackinnon who can score goals and they know it, but they also make their linemates better and you can plug in a lesser talent on their wing and get production.

Matthew’s is a shoot first C. He’s an elite goal scorer no one is denying that.

Crosby and Mackinnon have also had 50 goal seasons along with 50 plus assists. You know what else they have done? Produce in the playoffs and won cups.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:40 AM   #582
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
That’s not my point.

I’m saying I’d rather have a classic #1 C the likes of Crosby, Mackinnon who can score goals and they know it, but they also make their linemates better and you can plug in a lesser talent on their wing and get production.

Matthew’s is a shoot first C. He’s an elite goal scorer no one is denying that.

Crosby and Mackinnon have also had 50 goal seasons along with 50 plus assists. You know what else they have done? Produce in the playoffs and won cups.
Matthews must be pretty good to be compared to generational players no? He hasn't been able to elevate himself in the playoffs for sure to but be fair if you replaced him with Crosby or MacKinnon I don't think either of them could carry that Leafs roster to a cup. It's a bottom 15 roster that happens to have four really good forwards. Good enough to have regular season success but exposed in the post season for being what they are.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:42 AM   #583
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Matthews game has improved to the point he's one of the best 2-way centers in the league which is anything but one-dimensional. He just happens to perform the most difficult task in the NHL better than almost everyone else while excelling at both ends of the ice.
No one is arguing that Matthews is not a great centre and goal scorer.

He just isn't in the same league as McKinnon and Crosby in all around play, especially in producing in the playoffs.

Players like Toews and Bergeron didn't have the offensive skills of Mathews, nor the talent level, but each come playoff time did more to help their teams win than Matthews has done.

Some players come playoff time can lift their level of play. No one considered Duncan Keith the best dman in the league, but come playoff time, he reminded us how good he really was. Toronto doesn't have enough of those players. They may not have any actually.

The next two games gives Toronto and its players a chance to prove that premise wrong.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:46 AM   #584
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Matthews must be pretty good to be compared to generational players no? He hasn't been able to elevate himself in the playoffs for sure to but be fair if you replaced him with Crosby or MacKinnon I don't think either of them could carry that Leafs roster to a cup. It's a bottom 15 roster that happens to have four really good forwards. Good enough to have regular season success but exposed in the post season for being what they are.
I don't know. Crosby had some pretty bad D cores. Outside of Letang, he had guys like Ian Cole, Trevor Daley, Brian Doumoulin, Justin Shultz, Maatta, Scuderi. Not exactly deep.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:49 AM   #585
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I don't know. Crosby had some pretty bad D cores. Outside of Letang, he had guys like Ian Cole, Trevor Daley, Brian Doumoulin, Justin Shultz, Maatta, Scuderi. Not exactly deep.
He also had a HOF 2nd line center in Malkin, a likely HOF goaltender in Fleury, and while Letang may not make the HOF he blows away Rielly.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:07 AM   #586
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He also had a HOF 2nd line center in Malkin, a likely HOF goaltender in Fleury, and while Letang may not make the HOF he blows away Rielly.
I guess the 1000 points Tavares has put is nothing?

Also I am not here to discredit what Matthews has done, and can do. It's not even a playoff thing either.

Really what I am trying to say is you have more success with a center who has a better goal to assist ratio. I was using those guys to prove my point. Matthews would be a fine left winger.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:53 AM   #587
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Matthews is a great goal scorer, but I hardly think of him when asked which C I would take to win a game 7 in the Finals. There are a handful that I'd take before him.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 11:37 AM   #588
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Matthews is a great goal scorer, but I hardly think of him when asked which C I would take to win a game 7 in the Finals. There are a handful that I'd take before him.
Namely, guys that have won a Finals: Mackinnon and Crosby.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 11:43 AM   #589
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Craig Button just proclaimed that if 16 year old Gavin McKenna was in this years draft he would challenge Celebrini for 1st overall and would go 1st or 2nd overall.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:44 AM   #590
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is anyone seriously listening to Craig Button's opinions?
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:44 AM   #591
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Is anyone seriously listening to Craig Button's opinions?
He's not wrong about McKenna
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 12:21 PM   #592
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conroy interview at the U18s. Nothing special, but I like hearing from the GM, even if it is fluff

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/conroy-...knowle~2915082

the one nugget of info is Jarome's knowledge of this draft class and the next two. Conny mentioned previously that Jarome knows a lot of the New England players from his time coaching in the Boston area.

Last edited by Canada 02; 05-02-2024 at 12:24 PM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 01:14 PM   #593
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Craig Button just proclaimed that if 16 year old Gavin McKenna was in this years draft he would challenge Celebrini for 1st overall and would go 1st or 2nd overall.
He might well go first. But no lower than 2nd.

McKenna at this stage likely has higher upside, but he's 2 years away, so that has quite a bit of risk.

It would depend on the teams opinion on these two players.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 01:21 PM   #594
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Hagens is better than Mckenna right now. (as he should be, he's a year older). If he was draft eligible I could see Hagens going top 2.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 01:24 PM   #595
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yea... let's just forego the draft lottery win this year so we can use up our two lottery wins B2B on McKenna & Hagens
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 01:41 PM   #596
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Yea... let's just forego the draft lottery win this year so we can use up our two lottery wins B2B on McKenna & Hagens
OR

Celebrini + Hagens

Vegas falls of a cliff and their pick wins the 2026 draft
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 02:24 PM   #597
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
OR

Celebrini + Hagens

Vegas falls of a cliff and their pick wins the 2026 draft
I did hesitate posting because I also thought about that but I didn't know the exact rules surrounding the 2-win lottery limit and if it also applied to acquired picks. I gave up after a quick Google search lol

So yes, let's do that instead ahaha
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 02:55 PM   #598
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
I did hesitate posting because I also thought about that but I didn't know the exact rules surrounding the 2-win lottery limit and if it also applied to acquired picks. I gave up after a quick Google search lol

So yes, let's do that instead ahaha
This is what you were looking for :

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/14767

Quote:
(3) Limit on Teams Winning a Lottery Draw

No single team will be able to advance in the Draft order by reason of winning a Lottery Draw more than two (2) times in any five (5) year period. This limitation will not affect a Club’s ability to retain its presumptive Draft position in any Draft Lottery, nor would it preclude the possibility of the Club moving down in Draft Order to the extent other Clubs advance by reason of winning the Lottery Draws. For purposes of clarity, the limitation would attach to the team, not the specific pick.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 03:00 PM   #599
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

"...no Club will be able to move-up in the Draft Order by reason of winning a Lottery Draw any more than two (2) times during the period of 2022 through 2026."

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 03:47 PM   #600
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
We’re talking about them being equally difficult, not whether their value is equal. But since you’re conceding they aren’t the same difficulty, we can move onto the value thing.

Your numbers don’t point to any sort of equal value, and just by thinking about it logically, it’s an easy argument to dismiss. Every game, there are probably hundreds of events that prevent a potential goal. Saves are the last resort, but everything from blocks, hits, poke checks, interceptions, takeaways, etc all suppress potential goals. If every act of goal suppression is equal value to scoring a goal, that suggests Vincent Desharnais should make more than McDavid… which… lol. Good luck with that.
They are equal in aggregate. If a player does 17 things that prevent 0.01 goals each, it has the same value as a player who does 1 thing to create 0.17 goals.

It is goal creation, not simply scoring - when McDavid stickhandles all over the Kings zone on the PP and fires one in off Hyman's skate, almost anyone could be standing out there "scoring" the goal. Standing there is a very small part of what led to its creation.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote