Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2017, 12:54 AM   #61
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

From what I've seen, I believe he'll make a better winger than a centerman right now. I think he'd help out the team most playing wing to someone like Matt Stajan. At the moment, Matt Stajan is a better center option for several reasons:

- Faceoffs: 51% for Stajan vs 46% for Bennett (Freddie Hamilton - 58%)
- Even strength points: Surprisingly, Matt Stajan is out producing Sam Bennett at even strength for the amount of minutes they play with less offensively gifted linemates as well
- Defense: Matt Stajan right now is more experienced and plays better defensively against the opposition's centers. He even has a positive +/- whereas Sam Bennett has the worst +/- among forwards on the team. Those who discount this stat can't deny that it's certainly better to have a player who will be on the ice for a goal rather then a goal against.
- Offense: I personally believe that Sam Bennett will produce more offense as a winger because he won't have the same defensive responsibilities and instead can focus on playing a more north-south game, forechecking, shooting more and driving to the net instead of trying to be a distributor.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:50 AM   #62
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Doug Gilmour had less goals and assists in the NHL by age 20 than Bennett.
Agreed, Gilmour was more a set up man than a scorer.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:15 AM   #63
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Loved seeing Bennett get angry. I think his game is turning around.

My only pause is if he really has the hockey IQ. Looking only at his junior highlight reel, he's clearly the best player on the team and on the ice in most cases and does most things himself.

He will have undergo a fairly significant transformation to be a point producer at the NHL level.

I see his range as either an O'Reilly/Pavelski as his ceiling and a Zajac/Stoll as his floor. He's probably somewhere in the middle.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #64
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I thought Sam Bennett could be a elite # 1 centre. But after reading this thread, I am worried.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #65
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he'll be a 25/25 guy who is reliable in the circle and has a mean streak. Monahan will provide more points and be the go-to centerman, but won't provide the toughness Bennett does.

These two coupled with Backlund is a recipe for a great playoff team. Of course, the bonus is just look at thier ages. Flames will be good for years to come.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #66
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I think he'll be a 25/25 guy who is reliable in the circle and has a mean streak. Monahan will provide more points and be the go-to centerman, but won't provide the toughness Bennett does.

These two coupled with Backlund is a recipe for a great playoff team. Of course, the bonus is just look at thier ages. Flames will be good for years to come.
Just 25/25, I thought he would 35/40 player.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #67
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love to be proved wrong. But in reality, there are likely only 10 guys who will eclipse 35 goals this year and with all the respect in the world, Bennett is not Crosby, Malkin, Ovi, Laine or Kane.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #68
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Lower those expectations my friend.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #69
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe if he was on a line with McDavid
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #70
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
He's not Draisatl
Are you saying Leon is that good?

As a center away from McDavid, no chance. Right now he's a winger.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #71
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Are you saying Leon is that good?

As a center away from McDavid, no chance. Right now he's a winger.
You got me before my edit. I was implying that he's not playing with a generational talent by his side.
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdubz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #72
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought Sam Bennett could be a elite # 1 centre. But after reading this thread, I am worried.
Quote:
These are peoples' opinions, they are not fact. You need to stop taking opinions as gospel.

Go back and read threads about Brodie in 2013... most (or at least many) posters thought his ceiling was a 5/6 guy or maybe a #4 at best. You could go back a year or two further and you would see similar threads about Gio's ceiling being a 4/5 guy.

No one knows. Predictions are hard, especially about the future.

Bennett has all the tools to be a great player. That does not mean that he will become one. But he certainly might. Let's just wait and see.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #73
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I thought at the draft he could be a 70 point guy. I thought his IQ was higher at the time. Now I will guess 25/25 in his prime.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #74
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
These are peoples' opinions, they are not fact. You need to stop taking opinions as gospel.

Go back and read threads about Brodie in 2013... most (or at least many) posters thought his ceiling was a 5/6 guy or maybe a #4 at best. You could go back a year or two further and you would see similar threads about Gio's ceiling being a 4/5 guy.

No one knows. Predictions are hard, especially about the future.

Bennett has all the tools to be a great player. That does not mean that he will become one. But he certainly might. Let's just wait and see.

What I don't get is why are the Flames not giving Sam Bennett every chance to successed, no line team mates, no PP time, it's like the Flames want their highest pick to not successed.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #75
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

You're allowed to think that he's good and will develop fine and also think his ceiling has probably been reduced a bit. I'm sorry but I don't see a 1st line center there anymore.

Nothing wrong with a middle six'er. His contract will be cheap and he's still perfectly serviceable for his cap hit so he can take his time.

Loved the fight.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #76
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think what we are seeing in Bennett is the sophomore slump in full effect. Just because Monahan didn't have one dosent mean it's not a real thing. This is only his second real year in the league, not counting comming in right before the playoffs. Knowing his competitive nature he's going to be working pretty hard in the off season to come back better. I think next year is a better year to judge his true potential by.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #77
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
You're allowed to think that he's good and will develop fine and also think his ceiling has probably been reduced a bit. I'm sorry but I don't see a 1st line center there anymore.

Nothing wrong with a middle six'er. His contract will be cheap and he's still perfectly serviceable for his cap hit so he can take his time.

Loved the fight.

I think it is a bit too early to say that, the same thing was said about Mark Scheifele. Sam does need better line mates and more PP time.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #78
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I'd love to be proved wrong. But in reality, there are likely only 10 guys who will eclipse 35 goals this year and with all the respect in the world, Bennett is not Crosby, Malkin, Ovi, Laine or Kane.
Fan predictions are always guilty of forgetting just how low individual goal scoring is in the NHL these days, myself included. Crosby sits first in the NHL with 34 goals but even he's only had four in the last 16 games. He's the only one on pace for over 40 but that isn't a guarantee.

30 is a high bench mark nowadays. Could see Bennett getting 25-30, 60+ points.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #79
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Fan predictions are always guilty of forgetting just how low individual goal scoring is in the NHL these days, myself included. Crosby sits first in the NHL with 34 goals but even he's only had four in the last 16 games. He's the only one on pace for over 40 but that isn't a guarantee.

30 is a high bench mark nowadays. Could see Bennett getting 25-30, 60+ points.

With the goalie changes do you think scoring will go up?
Old 03-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #80
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
What I don't get is why are the Flames not giving Sam Bennett every chance to successed, no line team mates, no PP time, it's like the Flames want their highest pick to not successed.
If he wants better linemates he has to earn them. He was given Gaudreau time when Monahan was struggling, Monahan outplayed him to get his spot back. If Bennett can outplay Backlund or Monahan he will move up the line up. Unfortunately for him that's not an easy task.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote