Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #221
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
If he isn't signed within a month of graduating then I think we should start worrying.

Worrying before then is paranoia
IMO

Or standard fare for the usual suspects in the last couple pages who are already manufacturing worry.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #222
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Well, yeah. That is kind of the point, which is actually a very strong refutation of this nonsense:

So, why would you then go and claim that the Flames have not given their drafted young defensemen legitimate opportunities to play in the NHL?

You are essentially arguing against yourself at this point.
No, you just inferred that, grouping my responses to other posters about a different argument to my responses to you.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #223
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not worried about Hickey at all, now if this is Fox in a couple of years I might be a little concerned.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:41 PM   #224
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Not worried about Hickey at all, now if this is Fox in a couple of years I might be a little concerned.
Agreed to a certain extent. Fox is from NY and could very well want to stay out East. The upside is that he's so good already, I can't really see him wanting to stay all four years before turning pro.

In Hickey's case, he's a solid prospect but not a blue-chipper like Vesey. Even if he has a good senior year, I'm thinking there is still a good chance he spends year 1 in the AHL?

No need to panic IMO (unless he declines to attend development camp this year...)
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:55 PM   #225
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
No, you just inferred that, grouping my responses to other posters about a different argument to my responses to you.
You are so duplicitous. All of my cited posts from you have been in direct response to things that I have said in this thread.

Just stop, already. You are wrong, and your recent posts in this thread provide abundant evidence of only your blind insistence on holding fast to a poorly informed opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 06:08 PM   #226
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really wish people would quit quoting MarkGio, this is a much better place when I don't have to read his drivel.

When it comes to Hickey, I am not concerned. Who was the last college prospect we were unable to sign? In the last several years there is only 6 college players (Gaudreau, Jankowski, Gillies, Agostino, Arnold and Hanowski) I cared about us signing, 4 of them returned to college for their senior year. The only 2 to leave early had already won a National Championship and all 6 competed in the Frozen Four (5 of them winning). Hickey hasn't had the chance to compete in the Frozen Four, now he has the chance to be the Captain of a National Championship calibre team. He's putting off a year in Stockton for a chance to Captain a storied team to a National Championship and complete his degree. IMO it's really a no-brainer for him to stay.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 07:14 PM   #227
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Came across this article about Hickey from last fall -- looking back, some of the quotes are interesting given what has recently transpired:

(Click on the link for the full size image)

https://i.imgur.com/RDWy5PQ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7l30zKA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/adedm6T.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5673WvW.jpg

Quote:
Hickey was excited to join the Flames.

"You can't put into words how special it was. Every kid dreams of having their name called on draft day. It was obviously very, very special to be selected so close to home," said Hickey...

For those young defence men in Alberta minor hockey, Hickey offers some advice.

"(The process) is not a sprint. It's a marathon. You don't want to rush through it. Every year you gradually get better and better...

In the future, Hickey would love to play in the National Hockey League and get his degree in business from Boston University.
You can also link to the article here: https://issuu.com/suggitt/docs/calgary_0619a51daed0fb
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 09:49 PM   #228
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Yes,. That is exactly what I am suggesting. Although I do not believe the Flames can be faulted for many of their recent first round selections, moving forward they absolutely need to draft a few more defensemen with their highest picks.

As for lacking depth that has cost them this year, that is also true, but it is also a product of being a relatively young team with some poor value contracts on the roster. If we are still having this conversation in two or three years' time, then I would concede that the organisation has done a poor job in this regard. We are not there yet.
I don't know TC. You need more than your first round picks to pan out. If Flames haven't churned out any defensemen 3 years from now, I don't think we'll be discussing the current management team and the shot clock starts all over.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:59 AM   #229
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd bet $5 and a pack of smokes that he signs with the Oilers.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:06 AM   #230
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might end up being a player the Flames use in trade to protect an asset they don't want to lose in the expansion draft. Too bad, I really was looking forward to Hickey becoming a Rhett Warrener type defenseman for the Flames.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #231
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Might end up being a player the Flames use in trade to protect an asset they don't want to lose in the expansion draft. Too bad, I really was looking forward to Hickey becoming a Rhett Warrener type defenseman for the Flames.
Off the glass and out?
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #232
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
So you imagine he might be traded and then start lamenting the loss?

ROFL you guys really work yourselves up over your imaginary scenarios eh? Why not live in the present reality with the rest of us instead of worrying about paranoid imaginary situations?
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #233
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
So you imagine he might be traded and then start lamenting the loss?

ROFL you guys really work yourselves up over your imaginary scenarios eh? Why not live in the present reality with the rest of us instead of worrying about paranoid imaginary situations?
The present: In final moments where the Calgary Flames have anything exclusive to offer Brandon Hickey to sign with the Calgary Flames, he elected to go back to college. The only remaining card they have is to burn an ELC year in the final 1-2 games of the 2017-18 NHL season which is essentially just paying him his signing bonus, which we've already seen was not enough motivation for him to sign this year.

There is no imaginary scenario. That is what has already happened. Even if he does sign in the future, the past is reason enough to be dissatisfied and uneasy at present. I doubt Brad Treliving is telling himself "This is fine." two weeks after stating publicly that this was a priority for the team.

Who knows what the actual chances are, maybe they're 45-55 that Hickey becomes a Flame a year from now. But that's a far cry from having him locked down under contract. This isn't directly comparable to

1) Hanowski, Arnold because none of those guys were noteworthy prospects.

2) Gaudreau, Gillies because both those guys signed after three years of college.

3) Jankowski, because the Flames elected to send him back for his fourth year - he was the one who wanted to turn pro after his third year.

The closest parallel in our system is Agostino. And we managed to get him into eight NHL games in the first year of his ELC; something we can't likely offer Brandon Hickey.

The odds are against the Flames in signing Hickey. That's not paranoia, it's just the fact that he has 29 other options and very little incentive after this year to become a Flame. He has been a sought-after prospect since his freshman year, he was the only NCAA player to play WJC for team Canada a year ago, and he can do the most coveted thing today on the blue line... skate as well as anyone.

It'll be awesome if he signs with the Flames, but expecting him to would be naive.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #234
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol

You just listed and discussed the last 5 college players, who all signed with the team, and then concluded that the odds are against the Flames signing Hickey.

Yes, it is in fact paranoia
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #235
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bleh, whatever, has he even been at development camps? Don't recall him being present for many.

Most kids would jump at the chance to sign and turn pro a year early. But if he wants to hold out, play a senior year and go elsewhere then so be it.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #236
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Bleh, whatever, has he even been at development camps? Don't recall him being present for many.

Most kids would jump at the chance to sign and turn pro a year early. But if he wants to hold out, play a senior year and go elsewhere then so be it.
Hickey has been to every Flames development camp since he was drafted. I don't know why you would think otherwise.

The only recent Flames draft pick that has regularly missed development camp is Rafikov.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:22 PM   #237
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Hickey has been to every Flames development camp since he was drafted. I don't know why you would think otherwise.

The only recent Flames draft pick that has regularly missed development camp is Rafikov.
Thanks. I actually wasn't sure. I didn't attend last summer's and couldn't recall him being there before then.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #238
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sooooooooo.... after Hickey graduates, doesn't sign with Arizona, and becomes a UFA on August 15, 2018, he'll choose to sign in Calgary right?!?
Old 06-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #239
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah people got so butthurt when you suggest that Hickey would do what ANY reasonable person would do...

But that's just blind homerism for you.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #240
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hickey is dead to me. I hope his career goes down in Flames. I don't care if that makes me petty.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote