Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2024, 12:03 PM   #441
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Here is the advice that I gave PIMKing, aka Ian Demler. https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...7&postcount=15

There is lots of other great advice in the thread.
Thread was never re-opened. What a miscarriage of justice!
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 12:09 PM   #442
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Yeah, that's correct.
It's cut & colour and she does it max 3-4 times a year; but that's still insanely expensive.
I think the salon owner is friends with the Kardashians so of course I'm paying extra for that privilege
Been shaving my head for 25 years, 2 pairs of clippers = $50, shampoo lasts a year, probably saved thousands, "Big Hair" isn't getting my money!!!
Old 04-23-2024, 12:12 PM   #443
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
I think this thread is a pretty good indication that especially when times are tough, you do only look out for No.1, especially all the posts from the single parents and guys living on their own. Maybe not because you don't have empathy but because you're solely focused on keeping above water.
Who would people living on their own look out for? What makes them any less altruistic than a guy with a family?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:21 PM   #444
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Who would people living on their own look out for? What makes them any less altruistic than a guy with a family?
Typically someone who lives alone and is childless will be focusing pretty much on their own needs, especially if they're under financial stress.
Old 04-23-2024, 02:35 PM   #445
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
Typically someone who lives alone and is childless will be focusing pretty much on their own needs, especially if they're under financial stress.
Agreed. Reading it again I think I misunderstood your original post.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 02:37 PM   #446
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Here is the advice that I gave PIMKing, aka Ian Demler. https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...7&postcount=15

There is lots of other great advice in the thread.
Oh yeah, Ian Demler, the scam artist who took advantage of our good will and swindled this community and many other online communities for thousands(?) of dollars. I think he was from Alabama / Florida? Last known location in Wake Forest / Durham region, North Carolina. Aka ohmeingott13 on message boards elsewhere. Guess I shouldn't use his real name, in case any potential employers or romantic interests are googling him. Ian Demler.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 02:51 PM   #447
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a cash flow spreadsheet that is broken out by month, income streams and every expense imaginable. It looks a lot like this.

A few years ago, I took a few hours to put every single and forthcoming expense (bills, vacation, RSPs, food, etc...) in the spreadsheet. This spat out a cash flow amount every month and what I would have remaining for the year. You have to be very, very honest and accurate to what you spend and what you make.

I now look at this every few months to see if I'm on track. I'm generally not far off. If I am, I look at what the expense(s) caused it.

My point is, understanding where you are spending your money is critical before deciding how you're going to spend it.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 02:53 PM   #448
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Honestly, it's not altruistic. If my employees can't afford to live and are unhappy it completely fks my company, so I definitely don't need pats on the back.

I think most business owners are nicer people than they get credit for. We're generally not out to screw our staff. A. that's just the right thing to do, and B. it is actually to our benefit to be good to the people who work for us.

P.S. It's definitely private. Was public with CP discounts at one point until some a-hole gave my company a 1-star review saying 'the owner hates dogs; don't shop here' or something like that. Just a total clown move.
Did you ever find out who it was that left the “poor” review? That’s a real prick thing to do. It would be one thing if they legit had a bad experience but to screw someone, financially, over their opinion of dogs is ridiculous.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 02:58 PM   #449
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Did you ever find out who it was that left the “poor” review? That’s a real prick thing to do. It would be one thing if they legit had a bad experience but to screw someone, financially, over their opinion of dogs is ridiculous.
And it wouldn't have just been to Sliver's detriment... I think he's demonstrated well enough that he takes good care of his employees, as best he can, so any attack on his business will affect many others than just that dog-hater
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:05 PM   #450
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Been shaving my head for 25 years, 2 pairs of clippers = $50, shampoo lasts a year, probably saved thousands, "Big Hair" isn't getting my money!!!
Can you shave my wife's head?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:09 PM   #451
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I have a cash flow spreadsheet that is broken out by month, income streams and every expense imaginable. It looks a lot like this.

A few years ago, I took a few hours to put every single and forthcoming expense (bills, vacation, RSPs, food, etc...) in the spreadsheet. This spat out a cash flow amount every month and what I would have remaining for the year. You have to be very, very honest and accurate to what you spend and what you make.

I now look at this every few months to see if I'm on track. I'm generally not far off. If I am, I look at what the expense(s) caused it.

My point is, understanding where you are spending your money is critical before deciding how you're going to spend it.
This is a lot of calories tracking for weight loss.
You do it for a while and it's incredibly eye opening. Then you don't have to keep doing it forever, but you really start to see where you're going overboard.

MyFitnessPal should make a sister app called MyFinancePal.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 03:24 PM   #452
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can you shave my wife's head?
I can do it for $450.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:37 PM   #453
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This is a lot of calories tracking for weight loss.
You do it for a while and it's incredibly eye opening. Then you don't have to keep doing it forever, but you really start to see where you're going overboard.

MyFitnessPal should make a sister app called MyFinancePal.
Yes, exactly. I used to look at it every month and update. Then it became every couple months. Then it became whenever there were major changes (i.e. new job, mortgage, etc...).

I find it comforting to know exactly how much more I have or how much of a shortfall I have. Can make a plan after that.

I've shown this to people who have troubles budgeting. I'm amazed almost none of them will take the time/effort to look at their finances in this way.

Last edited by sketchyt; 04-23-2024 at 03:41 PM.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:40 PM   #454
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I don't know who it was. I'm guessing Fuzz, but I'll never no for sure.

j/k, of course, Fuzz
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:41 PM   #455
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
And it wouldn't have just been to Sliver's detriment... I think he's demonstrated well enough that he takes good care of his employees, as best he can, so any attack on his business will affect many others than just that dog-hater
Yeah, the other crazy thing is I let my staff bring their dogs since I know people bond with them like family. Like, I can not like dogs, but respect the relationship other people have with them.

Anyway, this was years ago. I just hold a grudge hah.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:36 PM   #456
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

j/k, of course, Fuzz
Couldn't have been me, because if I knew where you worked I'd have pranked you at least once with a dude in a bear costume hiding in your truck.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 05:57 PM   #457
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

j/k, of course, Fuzz
Then you’re lucky all he did was leave a bad review instead of dumping 5 tons of clay in front of your business entrance.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 07:37 PM   #458
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Thread was never re-opened. What a miscarriage of justice!
Was that the guy who accidentally posted his jerking off vid?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 09:05 PM   #459
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
was that the guy who accidentally posted his jerking off vid?
wtf?
Old 04-25-2024, 09:37 AM   #460
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I tried to solve what some would call a revenue problem by considering a different job. So it would be a theoretical 7% increase in pay. But for a loser like me that's only 580 a month. It's not a work from home job, but has better benefits. Probably a touch more growth opportunity. My estimate is that driving work that often will result in $240 a month of increased expenses which I think is an underestimate on my part. So after taxes in the end I'd only net like $140 a month and give up a lot of flexibility that I currently have. Plus it's 4 plus hours a week for commuting too that I don't have right now.

So looks like I need like at least a 10% increase to actually see any tangible gain if I was to go back to working in a office. Or find one a lot closer to where I live. Would be easier to see if my current employer can increase my pay by $200 a month. But shows how much I really need to fix myself if I want to get back to where I was two years ago and stop falling behind the pack.