Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-22-2017, 11:59 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Default Can Troy Brouwer be salvaged?

Brouwer is a really intriguing guy to watch for me going into next season. There seem to be two distinct possibilities for his imminent future: he either stays with the Flames, or leaves in some fashion. Either way, the Flames should garner some value, however big or small.

I'm curious to see what the fanbase thinks of this guy. Does he have another 20-goal, 40-point season or two left in him? Or is he just another overpaid fourth-liner in the mould of Raymond and Jones? Where should he be put in the lineup? Who should he be played with?

Also, what sort of value do you think he holds in a possible trade situation?

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:00 AM   #2
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

He has a full NTC until years 3 and 4. Likely going nowhere next year. He can probably be salvaged into a 3rd line grinder if his play picks up.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:03 AM   #3
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way he and his contract would be salvaged is if he somehow starts to play with some passion and throw his body around way more. I thought he was gonna come in and be a physical force and boy was I wrong. Maybe being exposed will light a fire under him, after last years performances I doubt it.

His value is very very little.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:04 AM   #4
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unlikely.

Its one of those scenarios where more dollars were paid for his intangibles and experience but from our perspective thats really hard to quantify.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:05 AM   #5
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Personally, I'd be really intrigued to see what would happen if he was put on a line with Backlund and Frolik. I think that his size and their finesse would combine really well together.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:10 AM   #6
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let's be honest, his compete and his fitness were never in question, nor so much his speed. But that doesn't win you games these days. He has to put the puck into to the back of the net.

I miss Paul Byron for all these reasons. He was a free asset that worked out for the Habs.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saXon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 12:19 AM   #7
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best thing you can do to boost his value is give him Monahan's power play role as the high slot bumper. That's around where he seemed to play in Washington. It'd probably cost you in total goals on the season since that's Mony's Office but would boost his individual stats. Double shifting Gaudreau with his line would probably help too.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:21 AM   #8
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Personally, I'd be really intrigued to see what would happen if he was put on a line with Backlund and Frolik. I think that his size and their finesse would combine really well together.
Agreed. If there's anybody who can pick Brouwer's game up its Backs and Frolik. Frolik can play both wings so we could flip him to LW so Brouwer can play RW.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Bennett-Jankowski-Ferland
Frolik-Backlund-Brouwer (shut down line)
Bouma-Lazar/Stajan-Chiasson/Hathaway

That'd be my lineup if Jankowski shows enough to make the team.

Man we don't even have enough room for Versteeg if Jankowski makes the team. Not sure how people think we can fit another winger in, I have trouble fitting in all the forwards we already have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 12:22 AM   #9
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
The best thing you can do to boost his value is give him Monahan's power play role as the high slot bumper. That's around where he seemed to play in Washington. It'd probably cost you in total goals on the season since that's Mony's Office but would boost his individual stats. Double shifting Gaudreau with his line would probably help too.
Sooooooo...... sacrifice the good of the team to rebuild value in an aging winger?

Next idea please
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dying4acup For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 12:24 AM   #10
Blarg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
Let's be honest, his compete and his fitness were never in question, nor so much his speed. But that doesn't win you games these days. He has to put the puck into to the back of the net.

I miss Paul Byron for all these reasons. He was a free asset that worked out for the Habs.
Except that when Byron was in his last year as a Flame, he would go full Matthew Lombardi and miss the net by 20 feet after his many breakaways.
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blarg For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 12:27 AM   #11
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think there is anything the team can do to salvage Brouwer. Either last season was a fluke and he will have a solid 20 goals and 40 points on the 2nd line or last season was the start of a downward trend and he will be a 4th liner.

In the best case the Flames won't want to trade him and he will play out the contract. In the worst case there will be no trade even with salary retained and he will become the next Raymond, buried in the minors in 2018 and bought out in 2019.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:28 AM   #12
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
He has a full NTC until years 3 and 4. Likely going nowhere next year. He can probably be salvaged into a 3rd line grinder if his play picks up.
My concern is that I don't think the Flames actually use a third line grinding line, or at least that his presence on any line will prevent it from doing anything but grinding (and we might see another season of Bennett struggling offensively if stuck with him). Right now, I think he could spend the season in the pressbox and the team would be better off with current roster substitutes like Chiasson and Hathaway... which may seem harsh but he was pretty bad.

One source of optimism for me is that he must be capable of playing better. He was so awful last season that his career seems unbelievable if that is all his. He isn't so old that the explanation must only be physical. I was hoping he would be moved but the possibility of a bit of a resurgence like Stajan had isn't out of the question. I guess we'll find out in training camp.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:31 AM   #13
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
My concern is that I don't think the Flames actually use a third line grinding line, or at least that his presence on any line will prevent it from doing anything but grinding (and we might see another season of Bennett struggling offensively if stuck with him).
That's why I like Scorp's suggestion of him playing with Backs and Frolik. Backs and Frolik excel no matter who they are played with it seems like. They usually elevate the play of the 3rd person on their line (see Bennett two years ago, Tkachuk a year ago). GG could use that line as his defensive matchup line and I think they'd still score mostly because of the intelligence of Backs and Frolik.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 12:36 AM   #14
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ultimately it won't matter who Brouwer plays with if he doesn't get his **** together and play with some heart.

What I saw was a player who got his big payday and mailed it in for the entire season. Even when plays got chippy, he was the first one to shy away from the rough stuff. Until that changes he's better served on the bench.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 12:38 AM   #15
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
That's why I like Scorp's suggestion of him playing with Backs and Frolik. Backs and Frolik excel no matter who they are played with it seems like. They usually elevate the play of the 3rd person on their line (see Bennett two years ago, Tkachuk a year ago). GG could use that line as his defensive matchup line and I think they'd still score mostly because of the intelligence of Backs and Frolik.
Agree with everything except I think there will be a pretty significant drop in offence compared to the 3M line. Hopefully that will be more than made up for by a line with Tkachuk and Bennett on it.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:46 AM   #16
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarg View Post
Except that when Byron was in his last year as a Flame, he would go full Matthew Lombardi and miss the net by 20 feet after his many breakaways.
Yeah it was a little odd hearing Byron was missed for his goal scoring.

I never understood the criticisms of Byron for his lack of breakaway scoring however. For a player on close to minimum salary I was happy with his speed, work ethic, and ability to get breakaways. Losing Byron hurted and he is still missed.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:06 AM   #17
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm thinking that Backlund and Brouwer need to be linked to start. With Frolik or with a rookie. This depends mostly on which wing Frolik is most needed.
This frees Tkachuk to earn a top line RW spot, or play with Bennett. Both scenarios are good in my opinion.

When Brouwer was at his best, he did a lot of the things that Tkachuk did in his rookie year, but better. If he can't do at least that, the Flames have a major issue.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:28 AM   #18
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see why it is CRAZY to think that Brouwer won't rebound. He has been a pretty consistent player everywhere he goes for a while now, and I am not completely buying that what he showed last season is what he is. I would rather he not be on the team at this point, just to be clear, but I wouldn't necessarily totally write him off.

Some good things that Brouwer did last year:
- Underrated on the PP for his screens. I would much rather have Ferland there, and I think Chiasson did as good of a job to be honest, but credit should go to him on the PP for those screens. Lots of goals went in because he did his job there, even though he didn't receive any points.

- I guess he was decent on faceoffs when needed

- Played physical AT TIMES (not enough for my liking and what I was expecting) - but he did step up a few times.

What he did/does poorly:

- Footspeed is a bit of an issue.
- Defensively I thought he was lacking
- Seemed to pull everyone down when placed on a line (for me, this is the single most important attribute good or bad)

The one saving grace I think of when it comes to him is 'injury'. I think that PERHAPS he wasn't feeling 100% for most of the season and was playing through a nagging injury. Perhaps that is why you didn't see him 'battle' in front of the net as much, or be as physical as we were expecting.

I am not 100% expecting him to turn his game around, and I am not 100% expecting him to continue being the guy from last season (or worse). It wouldn't surprise me either way. I am just hoping he had a nagging injury that slowed him down somewhat. I don't think there is room for him to start in the top 9 next season though. Let him work his way back up. That spot next to Backlund should be used either for Tkachuk again (that line was elite after all), or it should be used for guys like Jankowski or Lazar to build up confidence and acclimatize them to the NHL and how to play a solid 200ft game.

Brouwer was the beneficiary of a lot of patience and a lot of opportunity last season. I think this season you start him off where he left, and just let him know that he will get more opportunity with better play again.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 01:35 AM   #19
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wouldn't surprise me to see him play much better next year
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:55 AM   #20
danny darko
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hopefully the coaching staff and/or management had a chat with Troy at the season's end evaluation meetings or recently after being left exposed to let him know they expect more from him on the ice. And like some here have suggested, maybe being left exposed will be enough of a shot to his ego that it might light a fire under him this season (fingers crossed)
danny darko is offline   Reply With Quote