Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 06-20-2017, 12:33 AM   #41
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Most tone-deaf statement of the thread so far.
Just responding to a general theme being raised in this thread that is asking why First Nations are any different from the rest of us Canadians in that we all "immigrated" here at some point.

Well, to first point out, many aboriginal people don't even consider themselves yo be Canadians in the first place and certainly don't subscribe to the immigrant myth making stories we've conjured up for ourselves to build national cohesion.

But please, I'm eager to hear why this is "tone deaf."

Last edited by Tinordi; 06-20-2017 at 12:35 AM.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:47 AM   #42
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

And many Quebecois don't consider themselves Canadian. Or immigrants, either.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:59 AM   #43
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't consider most first nations to be Canadian either but it's a freaking disaster when I say it.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #44
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
That's rich coming from you. You're the most eurocentric white supremacist voice on this forum by a long shot. You ooze colonialism.
Please provide links.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #45
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

So it sounds like most people have issue with the term "immigrant / immigration" which implies the existence of political geographic entities, which obviously were not around in their modern form during the time Beringia was crossed. Perhaps simply migration would be a more accurate term. Would there be any outrage had the GG said something along the lines of: "we can all trace our history to great migrations of some form, even our First Nations people" ?
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:52 AM   #46
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Perhaps simply migration would be a more accurate term. Would there be any outrage had the GG said something along the lines of: "we can all trace our history to great migrations of some form, even our First Nations people" ?
Sounds great to me.

It's mostly because (in the current political climate) "immigrant" has a negative connotation. How can you blame some First Nations people for being upset? The comment is being excused by people saying "we're all immigrants, it's ok!" when some of the same people dishing out that excuse experience an extreme tone change when dealing with actual immigration issues.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:04 PM   #47
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Sounds great to me.

It's mostly because (in the current political climate) "immigrant" has a negative connotation. How can you blame some First Nations people for being upset? The comment is being excused by people saying "we're all immigrants, it's ok!" when some of the same people dishing out that excuse experience an extreme tone change when dealing with actual immigration issues.
Oh man, this is too much.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #48
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Oh man, this is too much.
"Oh man"
"Oh stop it"
"Oh Pepsi"

Let me go Peter. It's time to just let me go.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #49
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
"Oh man"
"Oh stop it"
"Oh Pepsi"

Let me go Peter. It's time to just let me go.
I love you too much.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #50
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting. How do you all feel about contemporary Canadian Citizens being called settlers?
This is the common way to address Canadians in post colonial discourse. It doesn't bother me to be called a settler or a treaty person, but I know a few people who are quite upset when they are called settlers or treaty people.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #51
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Interesting. How do you all feel about contemporary Canadian Citizens being called settlers?
This is the common way to address Canadians in post colonial discourse. It doesn't bother me to be called a settler or a treaty person, but I know a few people who are quite upset when they are called settlers or treaty people.
The term "settler" is technically correct, obviously, but I guess like "immigrant" it carries a pretty heavy political/moral load.

I have no problem being called a settler, except for the fact that one again it simplifies an incredibly complicated debate about what actually happened between white Europeans and indigenous people. It also oversimplifies Canadian identity - what about subsequent waves of mass immigration from China, and the rest of Asia? Are they spared the "settler" label? If you look at the current political conflict over resource redistribution from taxpayers to "status Indians," well obviously not.

Last edited by peter12; 06-20-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:50 PM   #52
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Settler, like immigrant, really doesn't mean much after the first generation, in my opinion. It probably tells more of the person using the term, not the described person.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #53
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Settler, like immigrant, really doesn't mean much after the first generation, in my opinion. It probably tells more of the person using the term, not the described person.
You offend me sir and I demand restitution!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #54
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You offend me sir and I demand restitution!
Would you settler for an I'm sorry?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #55
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I consider a settler to be a first generation immigrant who makes use of previously unused land. Not many settlers left in Canada.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #56
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Personally, I consider a settler to be a first generation immigrant who makes use of previously unused land. Not many settlers left in Canada.
How dare you.

Am I doing this right?
Old 06-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #57
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
How dare you.

Am I doing this right?
No, what you have to do is make an abstract claim to a meta-grievance that has no bearing on the current discussion.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #58
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
No, what you have to do is make an abstract claim to a meta-grievance that has no bearing on the current discussion.
You wouldn't call me a settler, if I was brown.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #59
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's keep in mind that land settlement has been happening all over the globe since forever. Dry pastureland in Central Asia cultivated and tamed. Forest chopped down in Germany and turned into farmland. Irrigation and settled farming pushed into the highlands of Peru.

The people who previously hunted the land or used it for grazing their herds typically aren't very pleased. But then, neither are settled peoples pleased when nomadic tribes from afar swoop down to loot, displace, or enslave them.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #60
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canadaland discusses this here:
http://www.canadalandshow.com/podcas...neral-unquote/
just listening now.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote