Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #981
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames fans don't expect much from their starting goalies. Is it too much to ask for a constant string of Hall of Famers?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #982
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

I remember what felt like an eternity prior to Kipper too though, so that is included in my frustration. As long as I've been alive, it has felt like Kipper has been the only guy to perform at a high level for longer than a season. Flames aren't the only team with this problem, but some teams just seem to get goalie after goalie and I'm hoping the Flames can get some of that luck for a few years at some point.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #983
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
I remember what felt like an eternity prior to Kipper too though, so that is included in my frustration. As long as I've been alive, it has felt like Kipper has been the only guy to perform at a high level for longer than a season. Flames aren't the only team with this problem, but some teams just seem to get goalie after goalie and I'm hoping the Flames can get some of that luck for a few years at some point.
Well yeah, I was really referring to "constant junk" post-Kipper. We really haven't been searching seriously for that long, and credit where credit is due for Hiller/Rämö 2014/15.

Shame Rämö got that NHL-career ending injury, he would probably have been as good or better than Elliott or Johnson.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #984
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Show

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #985
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

To be honest, I really thought Ramo was going to be a starter for a few years.

Also just to add to the cursed feeling, Elliot's collapse. I was so relieved when he was acquired.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #986
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Hickey goes to free agency (like Treliving probably believes) trading a 3rd for Smith is pretty cheap, no?
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #987
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
If Hickey goes to free agency (like Treliving probably believes) trading a 3rd for Smith is pretty cheap, no?
Well likely it'll be a second. Agreed tho, Flames had their hands tied. Yotes knew it and weren't trading Smith for scraps. I'm lookin going forward to see how this pans out.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #988
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I'll echo what was said earlier about having a goalie like Bishop tied up for 6 or 7 years. That scares the heck out of me. 2 years left on the deal for Smith? Meh. If he struggles he's your backup and you didn't sell the farm to get him. Not the end of the world. He wasn't my first choice but I'm kind of excited to see how he does, if he stays healthy.

As for the 3rd rounder turning into a 2nd if the Flames make the playoffs? Fine with me, if that's the price for watching playoff hockey I'm ok with it.

Worst part of the deal for me was knowing Hickey wasn't signing with the Flames. Was really looking forward to seeing what kind of player he turned into.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #989
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

Worst part of the deal for me was knowing Hickey wasn't signing with the Flames. Was really looking forward to seeing what kind of player he turned into.
Hickey didn't seem to progress as much as I thought in his 3rd year, by the end of the year he was passed by three 18 yr olds for ice time on the blue line. Treliving probably wanted him to sign to get him on track in the AHL.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 06:16 PM   #990
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Well it's really kind of irrelevant. I just don't care for the argument that because of the Hamilton trade, Treliving's hands were tied in acquiring more than a stop gap goalie. He has sent both $'s and picks with his current approach so let's judge the results with Smith now.
Whether you like the argument or not, the fact IS that the Hamilton trade did in fact severely limit Treluving's bargaining position from which to acquire a new starting goalie in 2015. I don't think that is at all debatable. Last year the value of the Flames #6 pick likewise affected how they would address goaltending. More than likely, a better deal for a better starter either in 2015 or 2016 would have come at the expense of one or both of Dougie Hamilton or Mattie Tkachuk. I personally do not believe the sacrifice of even one of these players is worth the acquisition cost of Talbot, or Bishop, or Andersson, or Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 06:23 PM   #991
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Seems like a good trade to me. I don't know much about Hickey though.

Smith seems like a good fit for Calgary.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #992
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post
Everyone on twitter is laughing at us.
People on twitter are stupid.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 06:58 PM   #993
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Whether you like the argument or not, the fact IS that the Hamilton trade did in fact severely limit Treluving's bargaining position from which to acquire a new starting goalie in 2015. I don't think that is at all debatable. Last year the value of the Flames #6 pick likewise affected how they would address goaltending. More than likely, a better deal for a better starter either in 2015 or 2016 would have come at the expense of one or both of Dougie Hamilton or Mattie Tkachuk. I personally do not believe the sacrifice of even one of these players is worth the acquisition cost of Talbot, or Bishop, or Andersson, or Jones.
I hear you but why focus on the Hamilton trade necessarily. Or replicating someone else's trade. Looking at all the trades since acquiring Elliott, Flames have given up 3 2nd round picks, a 3rd rounder and a decent prospect. And to show for it we have Lazar and Smith. Those are a lot of assets going out the door and the biggest club need still a question mark. In a year where more young goalies were available than ever before.

I don't think Treliving should get a pass for his approach, suggesting he had no other options. I think it's basically his defining decision as the teams GM. I'm excited about watching Smith and I really hope it turns out he chose wisely.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:59 PM   #994
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Wow, I strongly disagree with the bolded part of your post. Actually, now that I reread it, I strongly disagree with the whole thing. You're incredibly underrating the Hamilton acquisition.
Talbot cost a 2nd, a 3rd and a 7th. His cap hit is 4.1.

Hamilton cost a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd. His cap hit is 5.75.

I like Hamilton but do you really think he's more valuable to the Flames than Talbot is to the Oilers? I disagree. Maybe if he keeps on getting better in the future. But surely not right now. Do you think the Oilers would trade Talbot for Hamilton and Mike Smith?
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #995
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Can't wait to see him in a Flames jersey.
No doubt, so many haters on here. I always thought of him as kind of a hot head but geez, wouldn't you be playing for Arizona for 6 years?

I'd rather roll the dice on Smith over Fleury or most other mediocre unproven goalies out there, including Raanta, etc..

At least this guy is a proven #1 and can handle the puck.

It's not the sexiest trade but I'm eager to see what he can do in a Flames jersey.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #996
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post

I like Hamilton but do you really think he's more valuable to the Flames than Talbot is to the Oilers? I disagree. Maybe if he keeps on getting better in the future. But surely not right now. Do you think the Oilers would trade Talbot for Hamilton and Mike Smith?
To answer your question, yes.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #997
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nobody thought Talbot would be as good as he has been so it is a dumb argument. Your not getting Talbot for the original trade now so move on for God's sake.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #998
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

One way to look at this deal is from the rare point of view of a coyote fan. One resident here is deflecting so I am omitting his angle. If I was a coyote fan and we just traded one of our best and most valuable players from last year for a 2nd round pick and a prospect with expiring control all while eating 25% of his cap hit, I would be pissed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chingas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #999
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

Hamilton cost a 1st and two 2nds.

We're not talking about value to their team. We're talking about league wide value. Hamilton is worth more league wide in trade because he's a young top 3 defenceman and those are right up there with young centres as the most valuable commodities in the league. Goalies are not the highest value commodities.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #1000
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah... I think you're way, way off. Goalies aren't that hard to acquire, or that desirable as assets in the NHL. Just because the Flames have had problems with them for most of their history, most teams haven't had these problems, and consequently goalies don't have that much market value. Defensemen of Hamilton's quality, at the age the Flames got him, almost never change hands. And to get him for just a mid first and some later picks? That's probably the best trade in the league since the Forsberg deal.

Deals like the Talbot one happen all the time. Jones traded twice in a month for similar amounts and is a similar quality goalie, and you can find a similar deal most seasons. Can you find any other example of a 21 year old 40 point defenseman being traded for picks?
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post: