Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #821
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

After years/decades of poor drafting I couldn't care less about picks !
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #822
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a Smith fan. Think this is another mistake. Hopefully Smith will prove my feelings wrong, but I think this is a poor stop gap decision.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #823
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Not a Smith fan. Think this is another mistake. Hopefully Smith will prove my feelings wrong, but I think this is a poor stop gap decision.
The only other stop gap option is Mason and I would rather go with smith than him. Elliott does not count after his mental #### storm in the playoffs.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:39 PM   #824
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great move by Treliving.

Allows Parsons and Gillings to develop for 2 years.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #825
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 years at 4.3 cap hit. For a 3rd and Hickey?

Seems like a good deal on paper. I'm not the biggest Smith fan but definitely prefer this move over paying big for one of the unproven guys.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #826
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
2 years at 4.3 cap hit. For a 3rd and Hickey?

Seems like a good deal on paper. I'm not the biggest Smith fan but definitely prefer this move over paying big for one of the unproven guys.
Not terrible but it is a 2nd rounder or it is a massive failure. I fully expect the Flames to make the playoffs
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #827
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Welp, Treliving got fleeced. I don't really understand how you manage to pay anything for Smith at 75%. At 50% he's a liability. Seriously, this is a replacement level goaltender that they're paying 4.5 million for. Why? Sign Curtis McElhinney for $1m and you've probably got a better goalie. Hell, sign Steve Mason and you're much better off, still for less money I'm sure.

This is stupid. That's the only word necessary to describe it.

I total agree with you and it's nice to see so one else speaking up and telling their TRUE feelings. I know many are too "scared" or "shy" or have "fear" to say how they really feel about the trade cause they don't want the backlash from the clique
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #828
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post
I total agree with you and it's nice to see so one else speaking up and telling their TRUE feelings. I know many are too "scared" or "shy" or have "fear" to say how they really feel about the trade cause they don't want the backlash from the clique
Right. Because everyone who disagrees with you is only saying so out of fear of… of what exactly? That some anonymous yahoos on the Internet will hurt their widdle feewings? Oh, the humanity!

Good grief.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #829
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
The sky is falling!
/wrists right?
You know someone is overreacting like a preteen when they think our new goalie will cause a playoff team that had bad goaltending for half the year to suddenly be a lottery team.

Grow up friend, you're embarrassing yourself

I complained about the trade, I don't and haven't resorted to personal attacks of other members because they don't agree with me. "I'm embarrassing myself?" Please. ""Grow up, friend" Why? Because I don't like the trade and I think we are gonna have a bad season? It's my opinion and Because you're against my personal opinion, I should "grow up?" Maybe you should take your own advice and not resort to personal attacks?
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #830
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only a poll can settle this.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #831
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Well Mike Smith had the better single season between the two.

I think over their careers there isn't much to separate them.

Halak at .917% and Smith at .913% over their careers.
Yeah the thing is that although SV% is better as a stat than GAA it still has it's flaws when comparing goalies on good teams vs bad teams. Additionally even certain systems result in variations among stats. Imagine a goalie playing for the Jacques Lemaire MIN Wild where they play an all out defensive style and keep shots to the outside. Goalies in MIN under Lemaire had their SV% flourish. Compare that to a goalie playing for an offensive DAL Stars team with a poor defense. SV% is not independent of team results. Your SV% will go up playing for a stronger team and go down playing for a weaker team. Your SV% will go up playing for a team that encourages many shots from the outside/boards and not much else. Your SV% will go down playing for a team that has some high risk offensive defensemen who allow odd man rushes against. Smith has played for one of the worst teams in the league for the past many years. It's going to affect his numbers. IMO he'd probably have extremely impressive numbers had he been playing behind the NSH defense and forwards instead of the ARI defense and forwards last year. You don't think Price's numbers would take a dip playing for ARI of the past couple years?

Case in point Antti Niemi, an adequate goalie that played on some powerhouses. SV% from .912 to .924 the years he played for CHI/SJ. Put him on a DAL team with a crap defense and he posts .905 and .892. Hockey is a team game. Goalie stats are influenced by team defense. Halak is like a Niemi to me.

Smith's stats are going to look worse on ARI then they would on a playoff team. When ARI was a playoff team Smith had Vezina calibre goalie stats (http://thehockeywriters.com/vezina-t...s-pekka-rinne/). And they weren't even a powerhouse team, they were a mediocre team whose best player was arguably Smith. For the past bunch of seasons Smith has been playing for one of the worst rosters in the league, basically EDM Oilers South. Despite this his stats are comparable to players who play on better teams. That's a good sign. Halak has played for better teams in his career than Smith. If he was as good of a goalie his stats should be a lot better than Smith's.

I dunno from having watched them Smith is a goalie who I've seen put in a lot of game stealing performances. I don't remember the same from Halak, I remember mediocrity, passable goaltending. Smith is older but reportedly in strong shape. I'd gamble on Smith over Halak, higher upside IMO.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #832
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm complain up the trade, I don't and haven't resort to personal attacks of other members because they don't agree with me. "I'm embarrassing myself?" Please. ""Grow up, friend" Why? Because I don't like te trade and I think we are gonna have a bad season? It's my opinion ad Beaune you're against my personal opinion, I should "grow up?" Maybe you should take your own advice and not resort to personal attacks?
Calling those who don't mind the trade too scared or shy or fearful is kind of a personal attack IMO. Maybe they just have a different opinion. Funny thing is that a lot of them have a lot more reasons set out in their posts than you.

In earlier threads you said it was MAF or the off-season was a failure. That was never going to happen. So you set yourself up for disappointment.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #833
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

Go Bubbles, go bubbles, go bubbles
TBone290 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TBone290 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #834
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Right. Because everyone who disagrees with you is only saying so out of fear of… of what exactly? That some anonymous yahoos on the Internet will hurt their widdle feewings? Oh, the humanity!

Good grief.
i am sure that a poll will show that the people that "love" the trade and those that "hate" the trade will make up a very small % of the votes...

Overwhelmingly, most people will fall into the 'wait and see' category...

there's been no shortage of people putting out their feelings on this board in general, so the idea that people are "holding back" for "fear" of having their opinion challenged is asinine...

its a game... people losing their minds over the trade need to step back from the ledge.

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 06-17-2017 at 08:35 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #835
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a poll.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=162476

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #836
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
i am sure that a poll will show that the people that "love" the trade and those that "hate" the trade will make up a very small % of the votes...

Overwhelming, most people will fall into the 'wait and see' category...

there's been no shortage of people putting out their feelings on this board in general, so the idea that people are "holding back" for "fear" of having their opinion challenged is asinine...

its a game... people losing their minds over the trade need to step back from the ledge.
This. Treliving's worst moves have not been monumental failures. His best moves have been very positive.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #837
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
Almost no chance an OHL goalie will bust??

I'm high on him, but with goaltenders, they are essentially always more likely to bust than succeed until they actually prove themselves in the NHL.
No chance. Mark my words.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:42 PM   #838
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Old and is going to be forced to play with smaller equipment next year. This is not going to end well.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:44 PM   #839
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
thanks. missed that... and again, there's no shortage of people that don't like the trade either... but they are the minority to the indifferent and the 'good' votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
This. Treliving's worst moves have not been monumental failures. His best moves have been very positive.
Agreed... was it a homerun? no... but every trade out there had question marks surrounding it... that's why these guys were available in the first place....

would have guys like Mason or Halak been cheaper to acquire? probably... but there wouldn't be anymore certainty with them either...they were available for a reason afterall.

would Raanta been a more lauded trade? probably, but we have no idea what the acquisition cost would have been either, though i think its pretty safe to guess it would have been equal to or more than Smith... and still no certainty of being a true number 1 either.

Smith has been a number one for a big chunk of his career... it remains to be seen if he is regressing...As a stop gap solution, its not awful... it depends on whether you agree with that as a strategy

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 06-17-2017 at 08:47 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:44 PM   #840
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I dunno from having watched them Smith is a goalie who I've seen put in a lot of game stealing performances. I don't remember the same from Halak, I remember mediocrity, passable goaltending. Smith is older but reportedly in strong shape. I'd gamble on Smith over Halak, higher upside IMO.
This is simply an absurd post. Halak stole consecutive playoff series from the President's Trophy winning team Capitals and then the defending champion Penguins. He nearly knocked off Holtby and the Caps and in 2015, ultimately losing a nailbiter to an amazing unforgettable goal by Kuznetsov. He was the only reason Team Europe was in the final at the world cup, and nearly beat Canada singlehandedly if not for the fact 5hat Canada was a superteam of epic proportions and Europe was Halak, Kopitar, Hossa, and a bunch of nobodies.. All that is on top of a perennially higher SV% than Smith.

Your size bias is the only thing I read when i read your comments on Halak. His upside is nearly unstoppable #1 goalie.

The risk with Halak is health not ability.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 06-17-2017 at 08:52 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote