Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-24-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
J-Rhombus
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames Upside: Andersson vs. Kylington vs. Fox

Curious on these three. I think Andersson has the opportunity to be the best all around defenseman, but what do we think about who will be our next great Power Play quarterback. Obviously that usually translates to points, but I think it will be between these three.

Interested in thoughts!

J-Rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:18 PM   #2
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep throwing the darts at the board, eventually something will hit the mark.

They each have as good of potential as Brodie did at their age. Whether they translate that potential into actual success is yet to be seen.

I think Fox has the highest offensive upside of the three, while Andersson is the more complete guy. I could see Andersson emerging as a Hjalmarsson type guy down the road.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #3
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Upside is such a nebulous thing, it is really hard to predict. I too like Andersson as the best bet to make an impact on the Flames, though.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #4
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Totally unpredictable. Maybe Fox has Ryan Ellis upside. Maybe Andersson has Giordano upside. Maybe Kylington has PK Subban upside.

.........And maybe they don't. Just be patient and let time decide. D don't mature until they are 23-27 so it's a meaningless exercise.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 05-24-2017 at 06:01 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:47 PM   #5
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is really tough to figure out.

I look at Kylington as the guy with the highest ceiling as he has elite skating ability, can make really nice offensive plays and has such an underrated shot.

Andersson seems to have the highest floor. He isn't poor at anything (including his fitness now, though I am almost holding my breath for training camp this year). He is good in all zones, and though he isn't the best skater, he is by no stretch slow. He is also the most physical out of the three.

Fox is a guy that isn't the great skater that Kylington is, and he doesn't have Kylington's moves, but has Kylington's (unfortunate) propensity for making mistakes in his zone. What he does have in spades is vision. He can create on the rush or as a PP QB with really good passing ability. I am wary about his size - for every small, gifted offensive defencemen, there are a tonne that never make it.

To me, they are all different. I still rank Kylington and Andersson as the 1/2 (and in which order is dependent on how you view their games). Andersson is by far the closest to the NHL, Kylington by far has the highest ceiling, but if Fox manages to shore-up his defensive game then perhaps he can pass Kylington, who still seems to make too many errors in the defensive zone.

They are all unique and play the game very differently. Surprised that Hickey wasn't included in this discussion. I view him as the most complete defencemen, as he is also a fairly elite skater that moves the puck well, and likes to play a physical game. I don't know where to rank Hickey as compared to the other 3, but I imagine Hickey's floor is fairly high as I think his game translates the best at the moment.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 08:40 PM   #6
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kylington's skating is far and away the best of the three, that alone puts him on my list. His defense is getting better but he is still a work in progress. The biggest thing he has to cut of his game is his tendency to try to do too much, but at 20 years old with 2 years in the AHL already I think he will come around.

Andersson is the closest to making the jump. He is a good all around defenseman, I would say his skating is good. He is good on his edges and has good agility, but I would say he is average to below average speed wise.

Fox has great vision and good hockey sense, but that's about it. He's small not a great skater and he seems disinterested in the defensive zone. He has a long ways to go to being an NHL player. The vision and the point totals are awesome but I am not sure they will translate at the highest level.

I still think Hickey belongs in this conversation, he might not ever put up the point totals of the other 3, but his skating is elite, and his hockey sense and his defensive ability are very good. I would put him as a safer bet to be a top 4 defenseman at the NHL level than Fox.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 10:00 PM   #7
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know much about Fox other than the hype.

For Kylington and Andersson, I give the edge to Andersson. But neither are sure things IMO.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:30 PM   #8
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

As others have said, kylingtons skating gives him the highest potential. I'd put my money on Andersson though.

Pretty meh on Fox. In a vacuum I'd take hickey before him
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #9
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I still think Hickey belongs in this conversation, he might not ever put up the point totals of the other 3, but his skating is elite, and his hockey sense and his defensive ability are very good. I would put him as a safer bet to be a top 4 defenseman at the NHL level than Fox.
I've sort of written Hickey off in the sense that I doubt he'll sign with us. We'll see if he is included in any coming trades.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:08 PM   #10
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I've sort of written Hickey off in the sense that I doubt he'll sign with us. We'll see if he is included in any coming trades.
Seems a bit of paranoid negativity to me to make the assumption you have.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:13 PM   #11
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whenever a college player goes back for his senior year instead of signing with his NHL team the chances of him going UFA must greatly increase.

I don't blame anyone for having doubts. There is nothing we can do about it either way though, let's just hope he only wants his degree and then signs with the Flames next spring.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:35 PM   #12
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Whenever a college player goes back for his senior year instead of signing with his NHL team the chances of him going UFA must greatly increase.

I don't blame anyone for having doubts. There is nothing we can do about it either way though, let's just hope he only wants his degree and then signs with the Flames next spring.
Greatly increase from what to what though? From 5% to 15%? From 2% to 10%?Lets not forget Hickey is Albertan and thus much more likely to sign here there an American who could go UFA.

Leopold signed here as an American after 4 years of College. I don't see the Albertan Hickey as being more likely to go UFA than Leopold was.

Some people just worry way too much about stuff that isn't in our control. Why write the kid off? Just so you're not as disappointed in case he doesn't sign? Seems so silly to me.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #13
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Greatly increase from what to what though? From 5% to 15%? From 2% to 10%?Lets not forget Hickey is Albertan and thus much more likely to sign here there an American who could go UFA.

Leopold signed here as an American after 4 years of College. I don't see the Albertan Hickey as being more likely to go UFA than Leopold was.

Some people just worry way too much about stuff that isn't in our control. Why write the kid off? Just so you're not as disappointed in case he doesn't sign? Seems so silly to me.
IMHO I feel Hickey would be the best candidate to do this and sign with the Oilers. I hope not but just my gut feeling as of now.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #14
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I like the Fox and Ryan Ellis comparison. I see some Bouwmeester in Kylington (which is a good thing, I don't understand the JBo hate) and Andersson reminds me of Jared Spurgeon. Those 3 dmen are very solid 2nd pairing players, and that's what would be perfect for our 3 prospects. I'm also going to include Brandon Hickey, in which I see some Nick Leddy in. My guess is all of these guys will be good NHLers, and when Gio is gone it's safe to expect these guys to be in our top 6 along with Brodie and Hamilton.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:48 PM   #15
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post

If we sign him, great and if we don't, nothing lost. See no worries.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:07 AM   #16
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do think there is legitimate reason to worry about Hickey at this point. It isn't just that he decided to go back for his senior year, but Treliving actually came out in the media saying that the Flames were going to sign Hickey and 'expect news on it soon'. Soon turned into a while, and suddenly you see Hickey declaring he is returning for his senior year.

It is a concerning situation. Add to it that Treliving (AFAIK, maybe I missed it) hasn't come out and stated why Hickey is returning to college for his senior season after he stated that the Flames were intent on signing him this year. He came out and told the media why Jankowski was going back.

With that being said, we simply don't know as fans why Hickey is going back. A lot can change in a year as well. Going back to school isn't a declaration about an intent to explore free agency either. Concerning? Yes. However, it is still not a strong enough reason to stop counting Hickey as one of the prospects. He is (IMO) a most excellent prospect. Defencemen that can skate like he does and that show this much versatility and can play in all situations are valuable assets.

Concerning, but no reason for despair.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #17
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good thread. I don't get to watch prospects at all and really appreciate these type threads. Thanks to OP and all.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #18
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wonder if there was any consideration given to try and convert Kylington to a forward.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #19
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andersson is the safest pick imo.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #20
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like what I've seen from Andersson and Kylington.

Andersson is a smart hockey player and adds some toughness to boot. Kylington is an amazing skater and has tremendous offensive ability, but he leaves something to be desired with his defensive play. Hopefully maturing and coaching will help that.

Andersson is the more complete player, and let's face it, when you are selecting d-men, defense comes first.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote