Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-16-2016, 09:11 PM   #21
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is less than 8 hours of daylight in Calgary for pretty much all of December. There's only so much you can do by shifting time an hour either way in terms of trying to avoid the dark.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:34 PM   #22
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube Inmate View Post
If you time-change whiners end up costing me my bright summer evenings, I'm going postal. I'll suffer through dark December mornings much more readily than short summer nights.

Serious question here: if a one hour change "wrecks" your life, how do you possibly deal with the occasional event where you have to wake up early or stay up a little late? Avoid all events that interfere with bedtime?
Yes.

I have two kids under 3, if it screws up bedtime, we're out.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:41 PM   #23
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I must be in the minority but don't really have any issue with the hour time change. I'm fine the way it is, but also if a majority of people want it to be one way or the other.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2016, 11:49 PM   #24
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I'm for whatever solution gives us more sunlight.
Moving to a lower Latitude is your best bet. If you think changing numbers on a clock a few times a year gets you more sunlight, good luck with that.

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:54 PM   #25
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

This would only make sense if we can convince the rest of North America to go along with it. Otherwise, it would actually be worse than what we do now.

It's bad enough trying to deal with people in Ontario who don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of a 2 hour time difference, no matter how many times you explain it. It would be a nightmare if it was a two-hour difference sometimes and three-hours other times.

Also, if you have any dealings with anyone outside of Alberta, you still have to adjust your personal schedule when the rest of the world switches anyway. If your job requires you to be available from 9-5 Eastern time, you're switching your clock even if you're not switching your clock.

Even something as simple as watching a hockey game ... Is that 7:00pm Eastern game at 4 or 5 or 6 in Calgary?

I worked in Lloydminster for a couple of years, and on more than one occasion, I had co-workers show up late for a meeting with a customer in Saskatchewan because they forgot about the (non)time change. Lloyd itself stays in-sync with Alberta, but that only extends a few km outside the city. Luckily, I didn't have any customers that far into Saskatchewan, but other people weren't so lucky.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:02 AM   #26
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just split it in the middle and go with a half time zone like Newfoundland.

Seriously though, I'm with V. Pick on or the other year round. The switching twice a year causes all sorts of unnecessary problems. It doesn't save energy anymore. We are doing it for no reason and have been for a long time. Saskatchewan got it right.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:17 AM   #27
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lose the time change

NDP sucks

I don't think I'm doing this right?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:59 AM   #28
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I heard them talking about it on TV this morning. They said to repeal it, but go on Central Standard Time, which would be the same as Mountain Daylight Time. The only negative is kids going to school in the dark in the winter if this is enacted.
Well they'd leave for school in the dark, but come home enlightened! Isn't that the point of school?

(I'll see myself out)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 07:12 AM   #29
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we should change it so that the sun is always overhead at noon. This would mean every day you add or take away a few minutes, depending which solstice we are approaching. That way, you always know it is lunch time when the sun is directly overhead, and you have half a day of sunlight before noon, and half after. It's kind of the perfect system. I'd call it Solar Sync Time, or SST.

Last edited by Fuzz; 12-17-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:24 AM   #30
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree with the person who said it won't matter if we are the only ones who eliminate it. I lived in Saskatchewan for many years and there are just as many issues with being "out of sync" with everywhere else as there are switching.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:31 AM   #31
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
It's still dark under standard time. Who cares if it's an extra hour while they're in the classroom? I'd rather be able to get an hour of daylight after work in the evening.
You have clearly never taught a classroom of kids, who thought it was night time while they were at school. We once had a storm that darkened the skies at lunch time and the panic that went on -

I guess it depends on the hours of your school, but at ours, the kids are currently arriving as it is light and leaving as it is light. If we stay on daylight savings times, they arrive in pitch dark and that worries me about a lot of young children getting off school buses, with parents driving around. I don't like the idea of so many young kids and vehicles moving around like that in the dark.

Yes, I would like to have more daylight when I get home for me, personally, because I could enjoy a nicer walk with my dogs, but there are trade-offs to consider. No system is going to be perfect.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 07:31 AM   #32
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go with DST full time. Flames games starting at 8 Eastern would be great for me!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 07:53 AM   #33
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
Moving to a lower Latitude is your best bet. If you think changing numbers on a clock a few times a year gets you more sunlight, good luck with that.
Yes, that was the joke I was making at the expense of this meaningless debate. Thanks for pointing it out.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:21 AM   #34
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
You have clearly never taught a classroom of kids, who thought it was night time while they were at school. We once had a storm that darkened the skies at lunch time and the panic that went on -

I guess it depends on the hours of your school, but at ours, the kids are currently arriving as it is light and leaving as it is light. If we stay on daylight savings times, they arrive in pitch dark and that worries me about a lot of young children getting off school buses, with parents driving around. I don't like the idea of so many young kids and vehicles moving around like that in the dark.

Yes, I would like to have more daylight when I get home for me, personally, because I could enjoy a nicer walk with my dogs, but there are trade-offs to consider. No system is going to be perfect.
The city could just put up more lights around schools/playground zones so that the areas are better illuminated.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #35
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
The city could just put up more lights around schools/playground zones so that the areas are better illuminated.
Lights require power which is The Devil. And soon to be fairly expensive.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #36
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep Alberta in the MST zone, where it belongs geographically; just cancel the stupid, idiotic, unnecessary and sickening DST already. It's about effin' time!
Old 12-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #37
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Lights require power which is The Devil. And soon to be fairly expensive.
But the solar industry will save us.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:36 AM   #38
ratech
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just moved to Sask in May and no day light savings sucks. TV shows change times. Football at 11, nope now 12. Hate it. Flames at 8:30, take a hike.
ratech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #39
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

you guys want children to go to school in the dark!?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #40
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
So do you support keeping MST or MDT year round?

The article states that they need to consult with the public on which one to keep.

Maybe a poll would be interesting:

MDT means sunset in the 11pm territory during June and 5:30pm in December (great summer nights, and no more drive home in the dark)

MST means sunset at 10pm in June and 4:30pm in December. (Earlier summer sunset and dark all the time winters...no bias here)
And yet- you still have it wrong. The latest the sun sets in Calgary in June is 9:55pm. Not 11:00pm.
https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/cana...th=6&year=2017

Even Edmonton is no later than 10:07.

On a clear night is it still light out around 11:00? Sure- for a couple of weeks of the year. But advocating a change based on blatantly incorrect facts is....... wait; do you work for the cycle track?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote