Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #6121
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
They got outstanding goaltending from Talbot who almost never faltered, they got ridiculous offensive output from McDavid and Draisaitl, they got the easiest schedule in the entire league and suffered essentially no key injuries.

The stars aligned for the Oilers this year. This is likely as good as it gets for them.
I guess the questions I have is how far do they drop. How many extra did they pick up when everything was coming up Millhouse. I don't think 10 points is too much of a stretch.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #6122
OminousFlames
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
They got outstanding goaltending from Talbot who almost never faltered, they got ridiculous offensive output from McDavid and Draisaitl, they got the easiest schedule in the entire league and suffered essentially no key injuries.

The stars aligned for the Oilers this year. This is likely as good as it gets for them.
Also next year teams will prepare harder for them. They are no longer the free 2 points. I don't think they will even make the playoffs next year. They'll fall back to earth, but they won't be rock bottom like the Canucks though.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #6123
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I guess the questions I have is how far do they drop. How many extra did they pick up when everything was coming up Millhouse. I don't think 10 points is too much of a stretch.
Lets not forget that they swept us. I dont see that happening again, but with our goaltending up in the air at the moment who knows.

They're going to have to fight harder for points, Talbot likely cant play as many games but maybe he can, and McDavid likely cant be playing as many minutes as he was all year, or maybe he can.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #6124
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The season is over for Alberta and we now press reset on all things. The cinderella dance for the copper and blue is over just as the nightmare is for the Flames. With this season no longer an open case, we look at the larger picture and the season ahead. Flames made the second round two seasons before Edmonton did with 3 (or some may say 6) less seasons of rebuilding and have now qualified twice in three years, even with worse goaltending and no first overall picks. Calgary is closer to perennial playoffs status while it will be up for debate if Edmonton was a flash in the pan until they can repeat the feat of their special year. As a number of weighty contracts come off the books for the Flames, Treliving the wise wizard-man is busy stirring up some new magic to shore up the Flames goaltending so that they can re-assert their dominance over the one year horseshoe lottery ball team up north and take the next step. Meanwhile, Edmonton prepares to shell out massive pay raises to its youngsters, carving the way to future cap space hell.

GFG
E=NG
Old 05-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #6125
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
That isn't what I'm saying.

NBA and NHL aren't the same because you don't usually see superstars walk as UFA.

I can't remember the last big name to walk as a UFA coming off an RFA deal.
I disagree. But it depends on your definition of top player. I'd consider guys like Ryan Suter, Scott Niedermeyer, Brett Hull, etc not mention players who were traded bc they were unlikely to sign 'top' players. If you're limiting the discussion to generational players, those guys are too rare and small a sample to compare in any sport. If you're using the definition again of player coming off RFA deal, again I think you are using too strict a criteria.

Does anyone honestly believe McDavid wouldn't be happier playing on the East coast? And I fully submit Gaudreau probably would too. But the Flames did some great scouting and finding Johnny and he probably does feel more gratitude towards them (maybe wishful thinking but still possible).

What does Edmonton have or have they done to make McDavid feel good? Jeez, I'm really glad u guys were so good at the lottery??
Old 05-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #6126
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Hey Oilers fans/media, this was NOT a "playoff run". They played two more games than the Flames did in 2015.
In the media and amongst fans anything past one round is generally referred to as a playoff run. 2015 certainly was in Calgary by fans and media.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #6127
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lets not forget even with all the stars aligning for them they only won one more game than a Flames team that received below average goaltending for most of the season. Granted the Flames still have to fix that but if it gets done I don't see the Oilers finishing ahead of the Flames.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #6128
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2macinnis2 View Post
I disagree. But it depends on your definition of top player. I'd consider guys like Ryan Suter, Scott Niedermeyer, Brett Hull, etc not mention players who were traded bc they were unlikely to sign 'top' players. If you're limiting the discussion to generational players, those guys are too rare and small a sample to compare in any sport. If you're using the definition again of player coming off RFA deal, again I think you are using too strict a criteria.

Does anyone honestly believe McDavid wouldn't be happier playing on the East coast? And I fully submit Gaudreau probably would too. But the Flames did some great scouting and finding Johnny and he probably does feel more gratitude towards them (maybe wishful thinking but still possible).

What does Edmonton have or have they done to make McDavid feel good? Jeez, I'm really glad u guys were so good at the lottery??
so now your wishful thinking reasons for McDavid leaving is a picture from over 2 years ago and baseless "east coast" non-sense

that's a solid argument
Old 05-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #6129
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
so now your wishful thinking reasons for McDavid leaving is a picture from over 2 years ago and baseless "east coast" non-sense

that's a solid argument
Well the alternative would be living in Edmonton for two decades.

I get the "but the river valley!" argument, but I'd choose to live in Vegas or Raleigh or even Newark every time over Edmonton

Old 05-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #6130
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

so all of our young core has peaked and won't get better with age...

gotcha
Old 05-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #6131
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:

gotcha
Isn't that Oilers fans' arguments about 'Little Johnny'?

Old 05-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #6132
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Well the alternative would be living in Edmonton for two decades.

I get the "but the river valley!" argument, but I'd choose to live in Vegas or Raleigh or even Newark every time over Edmonton
whats wrong with that?

plus, he's playing in the best arena in the league...it's no Saddledome nor "close to the Rockies" though
Old 05-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #6133
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

gotcha
Sure. Just look at age.

Dont worry at all about cap and contracts, age is all that matters.

That kind of inspired thinking is pretty much what led to the Oilers wandering the desert for a decade.

"They're young...they'll get better!!"

Remove Talbot and McLottery (x4) and how well did that attitude serve the Oilers in the past?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #6134
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
whats wrong with that?

plus, he's playing in the best arena in the league...it's no Saddledome nor "close to the Rockies" though
If Edmonton is Pittsburgh, then Rogers Place is PPG Paints Arena (both very nice), and the rest of Edmonton is... the rest of Pittsburgh (a ####hole)

Having 100th and 100th be the centre of the city is also just really stupid.

Edmonton is the worst city in the NHL. It would rank as a bottom-five AHL city.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #6135
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pittsburgh is actually a fairly nice city.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #6136
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Sure. Just look at age.

Dont worry at all about cap and contracts, age is all that matters.

That kind of inspired thinking is pretty much what led to the Oilers wandering the desert for a decade.

"They're young...they'll get better!!"

Remove Talbot and McLottery (x4) and how well did that attitude serve the Oilers in the past?
big difference being this young core proved it can make the playoffs and succeed in the playoffs

Chiarelli added the goaltending and some great pieces around that core that finished 8th overall in the league and just 2 goals away from a final 4 appearance
Old 05-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #6137
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Pittsburgh is actually a fairly nice city.
Pittsburgh is decidedly nicer than Edmonton, but it's the Edmonton of American NHL cities (Cleveland would be the best comparable but)

Old 05-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #6138
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

gotcha
It's certainly optimistic that Talbot ever repeats his performance from this previous season. Without Talbot that Oilers team is about as good as last year's Dallas Stars.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 05-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #6139
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
If Edmonton is Pittsburgh, then Rogers Place is PPG Paints Arena (both very nice), and the rest of Edmonton is... the rest of Pittsburgh (a ####hole)

Having 100th and 100th be the centre of the city is also just really stupid.

Edmonton is the worst city in the NHL. It would rank as a bottom-five AHL city.
opinion, not fact

kinda sad you have to put a city down to make you feel better about yourself.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #6140
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pittsburgh is decidedly nicer than Edmonton, but it's the Edmonton of American NHL cities (Cleveland would be the best comparable but)
Have you ever been to Columbus?