Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 12:23 PM   #5501
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Never forget when Edmonton hated Kassian more than anyone. #LifeMovesFast https://t.co/05W360Re3r
That's sports for you. Flames fans flipped the switch on Bertuzzi pretty quickly when he joined their team.

I've seen a number of Flames fans turn on Ference despite him being an absolute beauty off the ice. Oilers fans turned on him to when he started to lose a step.

Fans are fickle.

I still think Kassian is a ###### but I like having him on the team. He's a good player. I'd probably cheer on Satan if he could QB a powerplay.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #5502
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
That's sports for you. Flames fans flipped the switch on Bertuzzi pretty quickly when he joined their team.
Some did, I never liked Bertuzzi and never wanted him on this team.

Quote:
I've seen a number of Flames fans turn on Ference despite him being an absolute beauty off the ice. Oilers fans turned on him to when he started to lose a step.
Can't speak for everyone but I turned on Ference when he assaulted Stempniak for daring to throw a clean check.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #5503
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No I didn't.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CedarMeter For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #5504
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ugh, I personally thought the Bertuzzi thing was an embarrassment.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #5505
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Me neither. Refused to spend one dollar on the Flames while he was on the roster.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #5506
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Some did, I never liked Bertuzzi and never wanted him on this team.
Wasn't a big fan of the move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Can't speak for everyone but I turned on Ference when he assaulted Stempniak for daring to throw a clean check.
Yup it was the ultimate $$$$ move by Ference and from then on Ocktober was dead to me. He should have been ashamed of himself for that.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 04-15-2017, 02:19 PM   #5507
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cheered for Bertuzzi. Don't care if that makes me a worse person or not.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:20 PM   #5508
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Ugh, I personally thought the Bertuzzi thing was an embarrassment.
Couldn't agree more, although he was a different player after his return. And if he did continue to take actions that put others at risk, he would have deserved to be called out for them. I still find it hard to believe that Sportsnet praised Kassian's clear and deliberate attempt to cause a head injury. As long as the perpetrator plays on McDavid's team, anything he does, no matter how dirty, must be good.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #5509
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I sure didn't. It didn't stop me from cheering for the team but I was pretty glad when he wasn't brought back.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #5510
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
I'd probably cheer on Satan if he could QB a powerplay.
Miroslav retired, but I always wished he had played for New Jersey. I would have bought that jersey for sure.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #5511
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright, up you go.

Edmonton is no good. What a boring display of hockey yesterday - both teams put me to sleep with their slow paced drudgery.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:19 PM   #5512
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really did look like a dull Sunday niter in November after a painful episode of Hometown Hockey. Although Tara Sloan is kind of a babe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 04:06 PM   #5513
Soulless Sisters
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The Oilers actually remind me a lot of the 2004 Flames, really.

A superstar forward (McDavid, Iginla) and a Vezina-esque performance from a former backup goalie in the regular season (Talbot, Kiprusoff), which was then amplified in the post-season. Both teams lacked an elite d-man but had a solid d-by-committe approach, headed by elite shutdown guys (Larsson, Regehr). A lot of size, physicality, and grit up front from both squads.

Extended playoff droughts for both teams (8 years, 11 years) and people kept harping on "experience" and "learning to win" in the post-season because they hadn't been there before.

Time will tell if the Oilers go on a long run or if this is just a 1st or 2nd round exit. But in terms of personnel, philosophy, and expectations, the 2017 Oilers are a lot like the 2004 Flames.

Just my $0.02.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:10 PM   #5514
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'd probably cheer on Satan if he could QB a powerplay.
Well technically..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 04:31 PM   #5515
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Did Edmonton get McDavid because they signed a deal with Satan?
Old 04-17-2017, 04:43 PM   #5516
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Did Edmonton get McDavid because they signed a deal with Satan?
Yes they did. The deal was to get McDavid and be in the playoffs every year while he's active in exchange for never winning the cup ever again.

Lowe thinks he knows a thing or two about winning though so he's obviously smarter than Satan.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #5517
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Fans are fickle.

I still think Kassian is a ###### but I like having him on the team. He's a good player. I'd probably cheer on Satan if he could QB a powerplay.
As a former Bertuzzi apologist, I can assure you the vast majority of Flames fans never wavered on their unabashed dislike of this player. I think your point stands, but that's a terrible example.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #5518
Sakic19
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Confident bunch up here in edmonton. Saw a travel agency on 104st advertising packages to see the oilers play anaheim in the second round
Old 04-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #5519
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bump.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #5520
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

McDavid sends powerful message about Sport, Life as Sharks draw even in Series, 2-2

Perennial Oilers' superstar, Connor McDavid (0g, 0a, 0pts, -1), showed that he is more than the taut and toned physical specimen all know and love and elected to throw around his intellectual weight for a change in a 7 - 0 Sharks victory as the Oilers were back in action after the Easter weekend. The message sent by McDavid was received loud and clear by Oilers fans around the globe: In this mad, mad world of ours, beauty is all too often coupled with tragedy.

Sources close to the team report that the revelation that the brightest light must necessarily create the darkest shadow weighed heavily on the Oilers' goaltending tandem of Cam Talbot (19-24, .792 sv%, 32:52) and Laurent Brossoit (2-8, .750 sv%, 27:08). As the night wore on, the pair eventually sought solace in the words of McDavid teammates Milan Lucic (0g, 0a, 0pts, +/-0) and Patrick Maroon (0g, 0a, 0pts, -2) who tried in vain to convince the troubled glove-hands that what appeared to be a crushing 7-0 defeat was but the smallest aspect of the Japanese tradition of Wabi Sabi and as such, the imperfect performance would only render the remainder of the Oilers' playoff run all the more profound and beautiful. As buy-in was not to be had, by 3:30a.m. the Oilers had brought in former enforcer, and known Renaissance Man, Marty McSorley, to address the goaltenders’ discord. Any progress McSorley had made in encouraging the pensive backstops to view the loss through the lens of the Mahayama Zen tradition of enlightenment through suffering and self-denial was lost however when Oilers’ Vice President of Hockey Operations, Craig MacTavish, sent out a team-wide text simply stating, “Don’t worry, failure is the springboard to success!”

None were hit harder by the stark knowledge that pursuit of perfection was not a virtue, but rather a gnawing, dreadful impossibility, though than Oilers' Entertainment Group Vice-Chairman, Kevin Lowe. As of 5:00a.m., beset by migraines, Lowe was utterly unable to reconcile the fact that being tied 2-2 with the Sharks in the Western Conference Quarterfinals meant that while the Oilers were half way to winning, they were also half way to losing and the result could not be known until the outcome of the series was observed by at least one Oilers fan. The conundrum was particularly straining for a man of Lowe's intellectual stature who is well reputed to know a thing or two about winning and a trickle of blood soon seeped from his nose.

Fortunately, as dawn broke, all debate was put to an end as Oilers' General Manager, Peter Chiarelli, announced that he had seen the light and realized that free will was but a delusion crafted by man to account for the pain and misery human beings had endured for the past decade, and that all goodness and glory could be manifested through the simple act of surrendering to the one, true saviour bearing the mark "97." As the light of truth slowly, yet inevitably, spread through the ranks of the Oilers and the Oilers Entertainment Group, it was unanimously agreed that tomorrow's practice would be cancelled.

Last edited by ThisIsAnOutrage; 04-19-2017 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling
The Following 67 Users Say Thank You to ThisIsAnOutrage For This Useful Post:
#22, AC, Badgers Nose, Barnet Flame, bdubbs, Ben Dover, Bezer, Bob, burn_this_city, Calgary4LIfe, calgaryblood, calgarybornnraised, Cali Panthers Fan, Cecil Terwilliger, Cinephile, CorsiHockeyLeague, CsInMyBlood, D as in David, Demaeon, DigitalCarpenter, Dion, Ducay, EldrickOnIce, Erick Estrada, FacePaint, firebird, Five-hole, FLAMESRULE, foshizzle11, Francis's Hairpiece, GoFlamesGo89, GreatWhiteEbola, Hey Connor, It's Mess, IamNotKenKing, iggypop, IliketoPuck, Insufficient Funds, jammies, jayswin, jkflames, jschick88, kbvall, kkaleR, MissTeeks, MonaTone, OBCT, OldDutch, PeteMoss, PostandIn, psyang, Puppet Guy, Rhettzky, Sainters7, schteve_d, SeeGeeWhy, slybomb, Steve Bozek, Sutter_in_law, TenaciousC, Textcritic, the2bears, timbit, topfiverecords, Traditional_Ale, trublmaker, V, WinColumn
Closed Thread