Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #81
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
Might Jagr be an option?
My inner Jagr fan would explode with joy for the like one year we would have him, plus those travelling Jagrs would need season tickets all of a sudden. Somehow I don't think a 45 year old would be the best choice though... as fun as he would be to see on my favorite team.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:19 PM   #82
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What about a dark horse like Evgeny Dadonov out of the KHL? Rumour he might go to Vegas, but if he played our top line he could cash in down the road if he fits.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=96427
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:27 PM   #83
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Put Jagr out for offensive zone starts and power play duty only?
Southside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #84
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Marleau is there, gotta kick the tires there. Kovalchuk if he will come is an absolute no brainer.

I don't know. I thought I had a good read on the off season when the Smith trade happened. The. The hamonic deal confused me. My gut tells me forwards won't be touched and the answer lies from within the organization. Brads gonna construct the best six d men ever assembled I think. This is where everything lies. Cement the d corps in front of Smith and let the kids at forward fly.

Prediction as to who the answer is: Pribyl.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 09:32 PM   #85
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also agree Tkachuk should be the guy who fills that slot. I watched him a lot in London and he likes to shoot from the right side even though he plays LW. I think the transition would be smooth for him and he would be an ideal fit for Mony and Johnny.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:34 PM   #86
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
If Marleau is there, gotta kick the tires there. Kovalchuk if he will come is an absolute no brainer.

I don't know. I thought I had a good read on the off season when the Smith trade happened. The. The hamonic deal confused me. My gut tells me forwards won't be touched and the answer lies from within the organization. Brads gonna construct the best six d men ever assembled I think. This is where everything lies. Cement the d corps in front of Smith and let the kids at forward fly.

Prediction as to who the answer is: Pribyl.
If he re-signs Stone as the anchor to the third pairing, the Flames d-core will be second to none.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:38 PM   #87
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm okay if they stand pat and see what Ferland does on the top line. Frolik is solid with 3M. Maybe Pribyl makes the team and takes Chiasson's spot? I've written off Brouwer, but you never know.

If need be, make a move at trade deadline
Old 06-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #88
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
I see absolutely nothing wrong with having Ferland riding shotgun on the top line. He put up a very respectable 15goals last year while being thrown all over the lineup. He's exactly the type of player we need on the top line.

A full year with Johnny and Monahan and he's probably within that 20-25 goal range. What more do we want? I think some of us are so fixated on getting a sexy name that we forget what we have right in front of us. Ferland is big, physical, can skate well, has good iq, scores and can make plays. Plus he's cost controlled. All we need for him is to be more consistent.

If i were tree, i'd be much more interested in finding a winger for Bennett. Hypothetically we get a guy like Kovy or Marleau, i'd be more inclined to put him with Bennett first than any other pairing.
He is very inconsistent, though. Something he needs to work out to take the next step as a player and move into top 6 territory. And he's not a great playmaker. He only produces when he's moving his legs in transition and when he plays a selfish, shoot-first game from what I saw of him on the top line.

People so badly want to see Ferland be the guy there, but IMO he's just not ready yet to where he can really help the other two guys produce regularly. Needs to work on setting up the other guys and if he gets there I think it'll be a little more time yet. We're better off this season signing a more established top 6 guy on the (relatively) cheap if at all possible.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:00 PM   #89
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope that unless something too falls in their lap, that the Flames don't address it.

I am fine with a revolving door of players on the top line - starting with Ferland. Pairings to me are more important than a complete line. Save the assets/cap space for something that really makes sense.

Williams I would love for a year or two, however. He is such a gamer in the playoffs.

I will be happy if the Flames just re-sign Versteeg (gives the lineup some balance, and he was great in the playoffs) and Chiasson (he was fantastic as a depth player). Williams tops my list for FAs as I can only assume he would come a bit more affordable due to his age, but is such a gamer in the playoffs. He will start the season as a 36 year old, however. Anything more than a year at a time is playing with fire.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:07 PM   #90
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the thought of throwing Chucky out there on the first line. Gives Gaudreau protection as Tkachuk is a pain to play against and Tkachuk is a 1st line talent. That also provides a whole host of other options for the rest of the lineup. It is vastly easier to go out and get a middle six forward than a 1st line RW. A guy like Versteeg now becomes a perfectly acceptable budget option, as would a whole number of other players. Additionally, it does provide the option to play a rookie with Frolik and Backlund, say Jankowski to shelter that player as they transition into the NHL. Janko would be perfect for that line as he is known for being a high quality two way forward. What better players to put him with than two other high quality two way forwards.

If that's the case, perhaps you don't even need a forward up front and can just stock the team with defense for the offseason.

A lineup of

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Brouwer
Bouma-Stajan-Lazar
Chiasson

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Stone/similar-Kulak/Andersson

Smith
Johnson or similar

would be very formidable and would have virtually zero weaknesses.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 10:36 PM   #91
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I like the thought of throwing Chucky out there on the first line. Gives Gaudreau protection as Tkachuk is a pain to play against and Tkachuk is a 1st line talent. That also provides a whole host of other options for the rest of the lineup. It is vastly easier to go out and get a middle six forward than a 1st line RW. A guy like Versteeg now becomes a perfectly acceptable budget option, as would a whole number of other players. Additionally, it does provide the option to play a rookie with Frolik and Backlund, say Jankowski to shelter that player as they transition into the NHL. Janko would be perfect for that line as he is known for being a high quality two way forward. What better players to put him with than two other high quality two way forwards.

If that's the case, perhaps you don't even need a forward up front and can just stock the team with defense for the offseason.

A lineup of

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Brouwer
Bouma-Stajan-Lazar
Chiasson

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Stone/similar-Kulak/Andersson

Smith
Johnson or similar

would be very formidable and would have virtually zero weaknesses.
The ability to bang and crash will be a hindrance. Some heavy teams to deal with in their division.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:38 PM   #92
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe its going to be Foo
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:44 PM   #93
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
The ability to bang and crash will be a hindrance. Some heavy teams to deal with in their division.
That's part of it but hockey sense, skill , speed and compete trumps heavy, bang and crash.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:48 PM   #94
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Can CGY pry Neiderreiter out of MIN with prospects?

To MIN
John Gillies
Adam Fox

To CGY
Nino Neiderreiter

Wouldn't have even considered moving these guys before today, but if they're going to go for it... then let's f'ing go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
That's fair. Maybe two defencemen then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
No because we need some guys to replace Gio down the road.

Basically no prospects can go. UFA or stand pat at this point.
I honestly cant tell if this is sarcasm?

I am so fulfilled with many things in my life that it would be pathetic to seek schadenfreude over something as silly as a sports game.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:23 AM   #95
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
That's part of it but hockey sense, skill , speed and compete trumps heavy, bang and crash.

Agreed, in the end it does. You just need some of it to get there.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:48 AM   #96
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

I'd vote deadline rental. If the team is as good as it looks on paper, they should in a comfortable playoff spot by deadline time. Then, the asking price for a pending UFA will be cheaper.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:58 AM   #97
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

My answer since the end of the season has been Tkachuk. 3 extremely high IQ players, while Tkachuk gives that line some better 2 way play. There's no reason he can't play RW, worth a shot before they empty the farm for a RW. Ferland or Tkachuk is the best guess.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:53 AM   #98
megatron
First Line Centre

Exp:

My impression last season was that teams finally figured out how to defend Johnny. Monahan doesn't carry the puck as much as Johnny in the offensive zone and was always looking to pass (other than in tight), so teams could focus on those two.

I think by adding another legit threat to that line, Johnny (and Monahan) would have more room to create. Ferland did a great job when he was given the chance, but he was inconsistent.

I would like to see Tkachuk up there because I think we would compliment both Johnny and Mony, but I would hate to break up the 3M line. Also, I think Tkachuk and Bennett together would be awesome -- I think Bennett needs some skill to play with (not Brouwer and Chaisson).

Anyway, my two cents.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:20 AM   #99
Flamefan1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I believe Ferland is the answer. When he was finally given the chance to play a regular shift with Mono and Gaudreau the line did much better. Gaudreau can play his game without being worried that he will get slashed every shift as Ferland will take care of business. Ferland also has the speed to keep up and decent hands in addition to his toughness. If we go outside for a right winger we will overpay and just get some re-tread near the end of his career. Williams might be the lone exception. As far as Bennett goes we should be starting the season with Jankowski and Lazar (Jankowski and Bennett can alternate at center). We have some talented players in our system and it is time to give them a chance.
Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:45 AM   #100
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

With Ferland, the Flames need to work out if the inconsistency is due to him being a relative late starter in hockey and the time spent recovering from alcoholism putting his development a little off, or if he is just one of those guys who has the ability but cannot bring it every time like a true top line talent.
A lot of us fans will praise and acknowledge how Ferland has turned his life around, but don't stop to consider the impact this may have had on the normal career trajectory.

TL;DR - Ferland could be primed for a breakout, or show that he is another Curtis Glencross.

I think this means you kick tires on all options, but don't spend over the odds - there are internal options to shake up the other lines to try out Tkachuk, or you give Ferland and extended look and then if need be, make a trade in season
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote