Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #181
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
It's still pretty magical. Teams also get 10% relief over the off-season.
Can't be over when the season starts. Can't add a player till after day 2 of the season when you need to be cap compliant. Same with years 2 3 and 4.

In other words they have to be cap compliant every year with his salary. Not as bad as having the cap penalties. But still can't just go add a player this summer for the 5.25 million or what ever.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:42 PM   #182
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Can't be over when the season starts. Can't add a player till after day 2 of the season when you need to be cap compliant. Same with years 2 3 and 4.

In other words they have to be cap compliant every year with his salary. Not as bad as having the cap penalties. But still can't just go add a player this summer for the 5.25 million or what ever.
Well they can just not put him on LTIR then and deal with in year round. Is that preferable? Is one massive source of cap relief not enough?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #183
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some thoughts:

The cap recapture penalty only applies if the player retires before the contract ends. If Chicago traded Hossa to another team and he did not file retirement papers, the acquiring team would get his cap hit and pay him $1 million a year. (Call it an Arizona Special.)

If the Blackhawks knew Hossa was not playing again, they could have asked him to waive his NMC. I very much doubt Vegas would have taken him in the circumstances, and that would have allowed the Hawks to put another forward on their protected list.

If Hossa did waive his NMC and Vegas claimed him, his cap hit would become the Golden Knights' problem. The Hawks would not be stuck with the limitations of LTIR – having to be under the cap including Hossa's salary on the first day of the season, and only then being eligible to add a replacement player.

It's the lost protection slot that really gets me. If this is a scam cooked up by Hossa, the Blackhawks, and some shady doctors, why didn't they get him to waive his NMC? People keep talking about how convenient the timing of this is for the team; well, it would have been even more convenient if they hadn't been forced to waste a protected slot on a player who may never suit up again.

I'm beginning to think this may actually be on the level.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:47 PM   #184
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

While this does seem like a serious condition the timing is absolutely suspicions. I would have the same suspicions if it was brought up a player has been battling knee or back issues for years but had been playing through it and only decided to retire in the year their salary took a massive hit.

I hope there is an investigation and even if Chicago gets away with LTIR for this season they don't get away with it for the rest of the contract.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:24 PM   #185
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sad for Hossa, classic Hawks getting out of a bad contract.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #186
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
If the Blackhawks knew Hossa was not playing again, they could have asked him to waive his NMC. I very much doubt Vegas would have taken him in the circumstances, and that would have allowed the Hawks to put another forward on their protected list.
You doubt... but you don't know.

Maybe they think Vegas wants a guy of Hossa's quality making only 1M in real dollars. Honestly, Hossa is more then worth 1M as he is, sure he's not quite worth his cap hit anymore but if you're a cash poor cap rich team Hossa is a great deal. So say Vegas does claim him... Hossa wants to retire and isn't about to spend his days toiling for an expansion team so instead of reporting he retires. Boom... Chicago gets hit with Cap Recapture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
NHL don't care:

Chris Johnston @reporterchris
Gary Bettman says the NHL has no reason to suspect anything is "amiss" with Marian Hossa's contract/health situation.

Chris Johnston @reporterchris
Bill Daly says the NHL still has to evaluate whether Marian Hossa can be placed on LTIR next season. No timetable for that decision.
Yeah, figured. The NHL loves nothing more then not enforcing it's own rules. NJ get's dinged a draft pick for cap circumvention... np just give'm one back, Sure LA you can void Richards contract... oh, the PA is grieving it... np we'll just negotiate a weak settlement in your favor, obviously fraudulent LTIR claim by Chicago.... lalalalalalalala nothing amise here.

Last edited by Parallex; 06-21-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #187
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
You doubt... but you don't know.

Maybe they think Vegas wants a guy of Hossa's quality making only 1M in real dollars. Honestly, Hossa is more then worth 1M as he is, sure he's not quite worth his cap hit anymore but if you're a cash poor cap rich team Hossa is a great deal. So say Vegas does claim him... Hossa wants to retire and isn't about to spend his days toiling for an expansion team so instead of reporting he retires. Boom... Chicago gets hit with Cap Recapture.
Yeah, but if Hossa isn't going to play, Vegas doesn't want him no matter how many dollars he isn't making.

(And Vegas is not a cash-poor team, anyway. They just paid $500 million for a franchise, they're not going to balk over a few million in the operating budget while trying to build a fan base.)

Point being, if the Hawks had known about all this (say) a week ago, they could have gone public at that point, got Hossa to waive his NMC, and protected another player. Instead, they let Vegas gouge them. That's not easy to square with the idea that this was all cooked up to circumvent the cap.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:48 PM   #188
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
That's not easy to square with the idea that this was all cooked up to circumvent the cap.
Sure it is. Chicago wasn't willing to risk getting hit with huge cap recapture penalties and the only way to have zero risk of that happening was to not expose Hossa. They were going to lose TVR (a d-man) anyways.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:25 PM   #189
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
As Lebrun has mentioned. They still can't put him on LTIR till day 2 of the regular season. So they can't add a player until then. And the process repeats every year.

It's not magical cap space.
This is actually a really good rule for this exact reason. You don't have that players salary for free agency, so in order to acquire a player you want you need to fork over an asset.

Everything's going to come crashing down on Chicago in no time, don't worry. They are a diminishing threat.

Everyone knew he would retire at the $1mil season just how D. Sutter invented it. Didn't the make the recapture rule after Hossa was signed?? Isn't this just the regular legal system at work? Only difference being we are fans of this particular business.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #190
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Kiprusoff's deal was the first one.
Kiprusoff's deal was a six year contract for a 31 year old goalie. I know they front loaded it, but that was going on before Miikka signed - Daniel Briere's deal with Philadelphia was the first one I remember really making use of the front load.

The other decade plus long deal I missed was Crosby's last extension. That one's 12 years.

Point stands - it's an anomaly that applies exclusively to star players based on the rules of the time. The teams were stupid to agree to retroactive punishment, they should've just banned these types of contracts when DiPietro first attempted to sign for 15 years.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #191
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have no doubts he has a legitimate condition but like everyone else the timing is just too suspicious with the start of the back diving part of contract and the expansion draft deadlines. Couple that with the one reporter from his home country stating he was training well a week or two ago and it just doesn't sit right.

I'm not a doctor but if it was an issue last season why not just come out with it and go ltir then? And how had nothing leaked to the press and why didn't he miss any games due to it.

I really like Hossa, HHOF for sure, I'm just sick of Chicago shenanigans and always getting the best free agents.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #192
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

NHL rules that Hossa can go on LTIR; Chicago to get $5.275M in cap space as a result:

http://www.tsn.ca/report-hossa-clear...-ltir-1.874102

https://theathletic.com/117016/2017/...jured-reserve/
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #193
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
NHL rules that Hossa can go on LTIR; Chicago to get $5.275M in cap space as a result:

http://www.tsn.ca/report-hossa-clear...-ltir-1.874102

https://theathletic.com/117016/2017/...jured-reserve/
Mother dick.....friggin Chicago.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:24 AM   #194
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

somebody put itch powder in Brouwers elbow & Shin pads ASAP
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #195
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iginla to chi town?
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #196
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
somebody put itch powder in Brouwers elbow & Shin pads ASAP
Or as I said in the Lupul thread maybe we can have him suddenly have an allergy to ice.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #197
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not surprised the NHL let them get away with this meh
FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #198
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

bump

Hossa to retire; Hawks will be hit with a $4.275 M cap recapture penalty for the next 3 years

https://www.tsn.ca/report-blackhawks...lems-1.1089947
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #199
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice.

As it should be. They benefited from the lower cap hit from a front loaded retirement deal and won some cups. Time to pay the piper.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #200
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
bump

Hossa to retire; Hawks will be hit with a $4.275 M cap recapture penalty for the next 3 years

https://www.tsn.ca/report-blackhawks...lems-1.1089947
Hell of a price that team has had to pay (in total, not just Hossa) to win three championships. I would totally pay that price 10 times over for that success though
HitterD is online now   Reply With Quote