http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=131124
And said Giordano should be traded in 2013

https://twitter.com/twolinepass/stat...73119764811776
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #22
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Monahan and Gaudreau, who are 22 and 24 (in 3 days anyways), are our main core pieces up front right now. Yet the writer has classified them as being " in their mid- to late-20s." So....he's basically classified our core in ultra wide range of ages and used the tail end of that range to state that our core is aging.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #23
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Everything Lambert writes is anti-Flames. I imagine it kills him that Jankowski not only went pro, but was arguably the top rookie in the league after Jake Guentzel.
It's even more stupid when you think about how many times he went to Providence games, he should have been clued in on Janko moreso than anyone else.

Instead he fallaciously uses his college hockey "expertise" to #### unjustifiably on Janko all the damn time. I hope Janko is a Calder nominee
Old 08-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #24
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

It's easy to crap on a team that's produced very little playoff success.
But to deny the promising future and immediate future of the great young core we have is just irresponsible.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #25
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammer403 View Post
oh boy lol
Same person who said we should send Monahan down

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=131124
LOL looks like he also said that making Giordano captain was poor asset management?
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #26
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The thing is last year was a down year for the forwards. You're probably looking at a huge rebound year for at least a couple of them as well as progression from others. Jankowski and Foo are on the fringe of being NHL forwards that have skill. Parsons is one of the top goalie prospects in all of hockey. Versteeg and Bennett are prett damn good third liners (the pair chipped in 3 goals and 6 points in the 4 games vs Anaheim) that could easily be on many other teams second line. Ferland has qualities that can help turn a series as he has demonstrated before. Brouwer has not been good but if he's on your 4th line then he should be better than 99% of fourth line RWs out there. Stajan is a solid reliable vet and Hathaway is an awesome energy player. Lazar has plenty of untapped potential at this level.

If you want to look at s***y depth, check out the Edmonton Oilers. Thats about as top heavy and unsupported by any quality depth players as a team (soon to be in cap hell) comes.

Last edited by djsFlames; 08-11-2017 at 12:16 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #27
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind a negative or contrarian article, that at least helps highlight what the trouble spots could be.

Even ardent Flames fans have to acknowledge there is no track record of success and all our hopes are based on potential. And I think you'll have a hard time finding an unbiased observer who ardently believes the Flames have solved their goalie woes.

There is no trophy awarded for expectations or predictions. But Treliving and company certainly have given fans reason to be excited about the upcoming year. That is enough for me at the moment.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #28
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could only imagine Lambert writing this article.

Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #29
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't it be funny to make a master list of everything wrong he's gotten regarding the Flames? Should make for a great /r/Flames post.

-Making Gio captain is bad
-Should have sent Monahan down
-Janko is a super-bust

Didn't he also hate the Dougie Hamilton trade more than ricardo too or was that another blogger?
Old 08-11-2017, 11:18 AM   #30
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Lambert long ago crossed the line from contrarian to troll. He knows that going down the Damien Cox/Bruce Dowbiggin route is the only way he keeps a job.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #31
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

He does not mention Jankowski, but fair enough, Jankowski hasn't done anything yet.

I'd like to see what peoples' objections are to the actual points he makes in the article. Basically he sees the problems as,

1. forward quality past Johnny / Mony and the 3M line;
2. the potential for the goaltending to be mediocre again; and
3. overall goal scoring.

Those are also what I would say the team's challenges are, to be answered this season and going forward for the next two to three years. I would also agree with him that you can only count on a couple more truly strong years from Gio; anything more is possible but optimistic, so it makes sense to take a shot while he's still under 35. I don't think this piece is that far off, overall.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #32
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
well he speaks some truth doesnt he? Or do we just want articles that wear rose colored glasses?.
No we don't, but no he doesn't.

Lambert is a hack of the highest order, if someone were to compile his greatest hits he'd be lauded as the Jerry Seinfled or Norm MacDonald ff our generation. The way he manages to twist or get things flat out wrong is shocking. His thoughts on Jankowski over the years embarrass him. It's one thing to not like a player/prospect, it's another to almost actively cheer against him so you're right, and say things that are wrong to prove your point.

Monahan playing left wing in his rookie year, Jankowski's College coach not trusting him... two of his biggest hits. He plays to a dumb audience, a group of people that will eat up his words without challenge. When pushed it's shocking what a poor writer and hockey analyst he is.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 11:24 AM   #33
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gaudreau 23, Monahan 22, Hamilton 24, Bennett 21
Strange notions of "mid- to late 20s"
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #34
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The article isn't bad, but the points just aren't well made and lack context. As an example:

"That’s where the lack of prospect development comes in. Bennett — who, again, has been a major disappointment as a fourth-overall pick — and Monahan are the only Flames first-rounders pre-Tkachuk to become NHL regulars in the past several years. And that’s despite the fact that they had five first-round picks from 2012 to 2014. The other three have a combined 10 NHL games played between them, and just one assist (I looked it up: it was a secondary)."

Thanks for looking that up tips.
The context I would add is
- All 3 of the referenced are late first rounders
- Jankowski only turned pro last season and showed very good promise
- The other two certainly have questions surrounding them right now, as do most late first rounders

So then I look to those drafts and who was immediately taken in those areas
- Andre Burakovksy was picked immediately after Emile and has established himself as a good NHLer. She Theodore was drafted 26th and shows promise. Fair to say this wasn't a good selection
- Morgan Klinchuk was taken 28. Ryan Hartman went 30th and is looking more solid. After that, not much around this area.

So he is making a point about poor drafting that I would say only applies to Emile at this point.

It is just not a well made argument.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #35
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't even read the article.

I only popped in to say #### Ryan Lambert. What a stupid ####.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #36
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Its easy for a troll/contrarian to just write off the unknown. Its also difficult to debate the point. Regarding Sam Bennett, people on CP are starting to do it and this guy does it too.

When did Sam Bennett go from potentially the best forward on the team to a 30 point dissappointment? He's taking a longer route than Monahan and Gaudreau, but the way people are writing him off already is way too premature.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #37
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Its easy for a troll/contrarian to just write off the unknown. Its also difficult to debate the point. Regarding Sam Bennett, people on CP are starting to do it and this guy does it too.

When did Sam Bennett go from potentially the best forward on the team to a 30 point dissappointment? He's taking a longer route than Monahan and Gaudreau, but the way people are writing him off already is way too premature.
Remember when Backlund was a total bust . . . good times.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #38
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
I could see another season of goalie fail.

A Smith/Lack tandem could work, but it sure doesn't have much of a "WOW" effect.

If taken solely on its own, then yes, the goalie situation would be worrisome. However, we need to remember that the defense in front of these goalies will be improved collectively to the point where it should give the goalies a significant boost. The fact he doesn't even touch on this is pretty terrible.

The points regarding Monohan moving the needle as far as possession metrics and Bennett needing to step up offensively are very fair assessments to make. These two items will be the difference between the Flames just making the playoffs and potentially being a powerhouse imho.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #39
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
IHe's taking a longer route than Monahan and Gaudreau, but the way people are writing him off already is way too premature.
Gaudreau was 21 in his rookie season, Bennett just turned 21 in June.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #40
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That article made me irationally angry lol.
Literally said out loud "what the fk is wrong with this guy".

Like we're right up against the cap and he talks about not being willing to bring in a supporting cast?

Talks about lack of graduating prospects when there has been 1 every year for the last 4 years and likely 1-2 this season?? SMH.