Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 08-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #141
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I just can't see Jankowski on anyone's wing this year. All he's played is centre in the AHL and his brief NHL time (honestly unsure how much if any wing he played in college) and they've never given him a look at any other position.
I'd rather Jankowski play impactful minutes on Backlund's or Bennett's wing than to be developing as a future grinder on the fourth line.]
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #142
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
I don't mind PTOs. It's the trading for or signing the Gazdics, Bartkowskis, Nick Grossmans, and Mark Smiths of the world that bother me. It's easy to cut a PTO, it's way less easy to press-box or send to the AHL vets getting paid actual dollars.
PTO's are fine when you need vets to fill out pre-season rosters (especially the first split squad games). The mistake is keeping these guys around too long, taking away ice time for the young guys to show their stuff.

The Nik Grossmann fiasco should never happen again; I know what Treliving was trying to do with the Smid/LTIR situation but part of that was on Gulutzan for thinking he could make it would work.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #143
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I'd rather Jankowski play impactful minutes on Backlund's or Bennett's wing than to be developing as a future grinder on the fourth line.]
I wonder if they don't try Bennett on Jankowski's wing. One has already played meaningful minutes on the wing in the NHL. Either way I agree, Jankowski shouldn't be stuck on the 4th line, and is likely ready to graduate from the AHL.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #144
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski played LW in his first college season s o I don't see him having any problem playing LW in his first NHL season. With injuries and line changes he could still get some CI time.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #145
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Jankowski played LW in his first college season s o I don't see him having any problem playing LW in his first NHL season. With injuries and line changes he could still get some CI time.
I wouldn't be suprised to see Jankowski in Tkachuk's spot on LW with Backlund and Frolik, and Tkachuk moved onto Bennett's wing with Brouwer. Jankowski seems to trend to be the type of center that Backlund currently is, so it would be beneficial to play him with that pair. Bennett isn't going to take the next step until he has someone on his line with the skills and character of Tkachuk. Should be interesting to see how the lines are setup in training camp, especially as it gets closer to the start of the season. I really hope they use pre-season to get the kinks out and come out of the gate on fire.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #146
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
some interesting charts this past AHL season on a few Flames hopefuls.

Looks like Jankowski is ready for a legit shot in the NHL. He was one of the very best players in the AHL last season.

Hard not to get excited looking at those numbers. First line numbers while playing 3rd line minutes against 1st line opposition. Backlund, anyone?
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #147
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Good Lord let's please not follow old model of developing 4th line grinders .....let's leave that to Edmonton, Vancouver and Anaheim our most hated rivals.

I think we have left the stone age and are developing winners instead of warm bodies to fill roster spots.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #148
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Hard not to get excited looking at those numbers. First line numbers while playing 3rd line minutes against 1st line opposition. Backlund, anyone?
I visualize a 6'4" Backlund who can score PP one-timers from the far right circle with crazy snipey accuracy. Only idea I disagree with is that he would somehow make Backlund "expendable". You can never have enough Backlunds. Give me 10 Backlunds, a TKachuk, and a Johnny.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #149
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Good Lord let's please not follow old model of developing 4th line grinders .....let's leave that to Edmonton, Vancouver and Anaheim our most hated rivals.

I think we have left the stone age and are developing winners instead of warm bodies to fill roster spots.
I truly do believe that playing with players better than yourself pushes you to be the best you can be. I seriously doubt Tkachuk becomes the passer he is unless Marner/Dvorak push him to be great every shift. Same with Draisaitl learning and gaining by confidence playing with Hall and McDavid which is why I'd much rather see Jankowski flanking the top9 as opposed to grinding it out on the fourth line.

Since it's unlikely that Monahan or Backlund are supplanted next season as our top two centers, I think it would be best suited to have one of Janko or Sam playing wing. The organization just spent a full season trekking through the growing pains of Center Bennett, so I would think that it would make most sense to give him another shot playing 3C. Shift Janko to Tkachuk's spot with Backs & Fro, and have Chucky with Bennett.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Versteeg
Stajan - Lazar - Brouwer
Hathaway / Familton / Klimchuk

Having a surplus of natural centers is never a bad thing. Very San Jose Shark-like.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote