Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2017, 01:01 AM   #7741
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

Yet another underrated Christopher Lloyd performance...!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 01:36 AM   #7742
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can already see how that tattoo is going to play out.

-Oilers never win a cup with McDavid

-McDavid signs with some other team that the Oilers hate

-McDavid becomes the primary reason new team keeps beating the Oilers in the playoffs

-McDavid wins a few cups with new team

-Oilers fan with tattoo is sad

-Oilers never win again

Last edited by CF84; 07-30-2017 at 01:43 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CF84 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 11:29 PM   #7743
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF84 View Post
I can already see how that tattoo is going to play out.

-Oilers never win a cup with McDavid

-McDavid signs with some other team that the Oilers hate

-McDavid becomes the primary reason new team keeps beating the Oilers in the playoffs

-McDavid wins a few cups with new team

-Oilers fan with tattoo is sad

-Oilers never win again
What evidence do we have from the last 11 years that the Oilers could make the playoffs without McD? Even with him they're only batting 50%.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 03:17 AM   #7744
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
What evidence do we have from the last 11 years that the Oilers could make the playoffs without McD? Even with him they're only batting 50%.
Touché
Old 07-31-2017, 09:33 AM   #7745
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I don't get the "I'll be a woman soon" reference.
"Silence of the Lambs" - The guy who did the art work is probably a latent creepy serial killer.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:52 AM   #7746
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I never realized how much of a garbage man Draisaitl was. Went back and watched AC's comps of Sean and they were much more impressive.

I think Drai is stronger on the puck and better on the cycle, where as Sean has better IQ, a better shot, and is better around the net. When you factor in Sean making 6.3M vs Drai looking to make upwards of 8.5M, it's quite obvious who I'd rather have on my team.

Both great young players going forward, but I think it's hilarious what kind of golden paintbrush Draisaitl gets smeared with just because he was fortunate enough to play with elite linemates two years in a row.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:48 AM   #7747
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Nice that nobody is on here claiming Van is still the Flames #1 rival.

Looking forward to the season starting. Hope all these lousy Oiler posters don't disappear after their "team of destiny" suffers their first couple losses at the hands of the Flames.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Old 08-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #7748
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
Nice that nobody is on here claiming Van is still the Flames #1 rival.

Looking forward to the season starting. Hope all these lousy Oiler posters don't disappear after their "team of destiny" suffers their first couple losses at the hands of the Flames.
Here's hoping that they do disappear again, for the next 11 years or so
The Following User Says Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 09:07 AM   #7749
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I never realized how much of a garbage man Draisaitl was. Went back and watched AC's comps of Sean and they were much more impressive.

I think Drai is stronger on the puck and better on the cycle, where as Sean has better IQ, a better shot, and is better around the net. When you factor in Sean making 6.3M vs Drai looking to make upwards of 8.5M, it's quite obvious who I'd rather have on my team.

Both great young players going forward, but I think it's hilarious what kind of golden paintbrush Draisaitl gets smeared with just because he was fortunate enough to play with elite linemates two years in a row.
I think Draisaitl is becoming incredibly over hyped and over rated. And its going to cost the Oilers badly.

I mean I'm not saying trade him. I think he's a good young player. But do I think that he's a super mega star? Not really. The year before last he started well and ended poorly when McDavid went out. Then last year he moved to the wing for McDavid and lit it up, but did very little on his own.

The Oilers have to be sure that they're going to spend mega dollars on a guy that can stand on his own and make his own contributions. They don't want to pay megadollars on a guy that can really only produce with McDavid banging in the trash.

For you historians out there, does anyone remember the tale of Warren Young the Wise?

He was a career minor league who at the age of I think 28 made the Pittsburgh Penguins. He was promptly put on a line with a rookie Mario and put up 40 goals and 72 points. He then signed one of the larger free agent contracts at the time with the Red Wings and went there and busted. the Pens traded back for him, but Mario already had other linemates so he floated out of hockey.

I'm not saying that Leon is going to be Warren Young and bust out of hockey without McDavid. But I am saying that I hope that Leon signs a 9.5 million dollar contract with the Oilers and never ever lives up to the hype and they sign a guy thats a good side kick but can't function on his own.

That would be aces.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 08-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #7750
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

So as we are now into August...what are the odds of a Draisaitl deal not being done by training camp?
Old 08-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #7751
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think Draisaitl is becoming incredibly over hyped and over rated. And its going to cost the Oilers badly.

I mean I'm not saying trade him. I think he's a good young player. But do I think that he's a super mega star? Not really. The year before last he started well and ended poorly when McDavid went out. Then last year he moved to the wing for McDavid and lit it up, but did very little on his own.

The Oilers have to be sure that they're going to spend mega dollars on a guy that can stand on his own and make his own contributions. They don't want to pay megadollars on a guy that can really only produce with McDavid banging in the trash.

For you historians out there, does anyone remember the tale of Warren Young the Wise?

He was a career minor league who at the age of I think 28 made the Pittsburgh Penguins. He was promptly put on a line with a rookie Mario and put up 40 goals and 72 points. He then signed one of the larger free agent contracts at the time with the Red Wings and went there and busted. the Pens traded back for him, but Mario already had other linemates so he floated out of hockey.

I'm not saying that Leon is going to be Warren Young and bust out of hockey without McDavid. But I am saying that I hope that Leon signs a 9.5 million dollar contract with the Oilers and never ever lives up to the hype and they sign a guy thats a good side kick but can't function on his own.

That would be aces.

I'm all for Draisaitl signing a big contract and then flaking out, but unfortunately I don't see that happening.

First of all, Leon will probably sign for somewhere in that 7.5-9.5 range, right? For that kind of money he doesn't need to be a "super mega star". All he needs to do is perform well as the second best player on his team and put up 60-80 points consistently. That's just what the cap era looks like now.

Secondly, he didn't fall apart once Mcdavid got injured. He got most of his points while McDavid was injured because him and Hall found some chemistry and went on a bit of a tear near the end of the year.

Also, I know small sample size but Leon clearly stood on his own when he was taken off McDavid's wing in the Anaheim series. He is a big body center. Simply put big body centers get paid big time regardless of what fans think. The Oilers have to pay him.

And as for the Warren Young comparison? Not valid in any shape or form. Leon is a third overall pick that just put up 77 points as a a 22 year old. He has had a high pedigree since he was a teenager. Warren Young was a fourth round pick that had one good season when he was 28 years old.

With that being said hopefully Leon gets lazy or demands a trade or something, but until then he is a fantastic young player unfortunately.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #7752
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
So as we are now into August...what are the odds of a Draisaitl deal not being done by training camp?
About the same odds of Bennett's deal not being done by camp.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #7753
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I want to see Oiler fans sweating and moaning as training camp approaches and there's no contract in sight.

And then I want to see a network special on sports net hosted by that idiot Meeeeaaaannn Gene Principe in Leon's basement where he says "After much consideration, I've decided to take my talents to Moscow Dynamo of the KHL".

And then Gene starts crying and Stauffer starts spinning that they didn't need Selfish Leon who puts himself above the needs of the not if but how many Oilers.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 08-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #7754
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I'm all for Draisaitl signing a big contract and then flaking out, but unfortunately I don't see that happening.

First of all, Leon will probably sign for somewhere in that 7.5-9.5 range, right? For that kind of money he doesn't need to be a "super mega star". All he needs to do is perform well as the second best player on his team and put up 60-80 points consistently. That's just what the cap era looks like now.

Secondly, he didn't fall apart once Mcdavid got injured. He got most of his points while McDavid was injured because him and Hall found some chemistry and went on a bit of a tear near the end of the year.

Also, I know small sample size but Leon clearly stood on his own when he was taken off McDavid's wing in the Anaheim series. He is a big body center. Simply put big body centers get paid big time regardless of what fans think. The Oilers have to pay him.

And as for the Warren Young comparison? Not valid in any shape or form. Leon is a third overall pick that just put up 77 points as a a 22 year old. He has had a high pedigree since he was a teenager. Warren Young was a fourth round pick that had one good season when he was 28 years old.

With that being said hopefully Leon gets lazy or demands a trade or something, but until then he is a fantastic young player unfortunately.
I dont know that I necessarily agree with that.

We're expecting 60-80 points out of Monahan and Gaudreau for $6.375 and $6.75.

If Draisaitl is getting in that $9.5 range or north is 60-80 points okay? You'd think the expectations would increase to somewhere in the 70-90 points range?

Is he a nearly PPG player consistently? I would be worried because that jump from 51 points to 77 looks pretty fishy.

And if that 77 is as good as it gets is that $9.5M okay?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #7755
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont know that I necessarily agree with that.

We're expecting 60-80 points out of Monahan and Gaudreau for $6.375 and $6.75.

If Draisaitl is getting in that $9.5 range or north is 60-80 points okay? You'd think the expectations would increase to somewhere in the 70-90 points range?

Is he a nearly PPG player consistently? I would be worried because that jump from 51 points to 77 looks pretty fishy.

And if that 77 is as good as it gets is that $9.5M okay?

Fair point, but I think 9.5 is the high end of what his contract could look like. My best guess is that the final AAV lands somewhere around 8.

When you look around the league and see Perry at 8.5, Kopitar at 10, Johansen at 8, Voracek at 8.2, Kessel at 8, Subban at 9, Toews at 10.5, etc it seems reasonable to me.

Granted those are mostly UFA contracts, but with the cap continuing to increase that's what happens. I still think we got lucky with perfect timing on the extensions for Monahan and Gaudreau.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #7756
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't Edmonton able to save a UFA year on this guy in the first year, but just kept the poor guy in for a few games more and then was sent down to Kelowna? I just remember poor asset management on their part with Leon. I'd be praying a team gives me an offer sheet. I think it'll happen, but Edmonton matches.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:46 AM   #7757
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think a Bennett hold out affects our roster near to the degree a Draisaitl would to the Oilers. With the ribbing I took from Oiler fans when Gaudreau was late to sign, I hope Leon schadenfreudes the heck out of this next contract.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #7758
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draisaitl's contract is going to take some time, and with good reason. I'm sure that his camp is claiming he's the next best thing since sliced McDavid, and his numbers prove that. I'm also sure the Oilers are skeptical that Draisaitl can come close to those numbers carrying a line by himself. $8M+ is for first line players. Draisaitl is likely being hoped to carry the 2nd line, so that much coin seems to be out of the question to management. They are probably hoping to get him on a $5-6M deal, long term. But even doing that they are rolling the dice that Draisaitl can put up 20 goals and 60 points without McJesus carrying the water and chopping the wood. They're likely going to have to agree on a bridge, which will be a prove it contract. Still hoping the Oilers do something stupid and overpay him to the tune of $9.5M x 8 years, but I don't think Chia is that stupid.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:05 PM   #7759
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
About the same odds of Bennett's deal not being done by camp.
Not really. Draisaitl is a key part of their roster, is looking for big $$ and term, and has more bargaining power being eligible for offer sheets. It's probably closer to Gaudreau last year.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #7760
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Not really. Draisaitl is a key part of their roster, is looking for big $$ and term, and has more bargaining power being eligible for offer sheets. It's probably closer to Gaudreau last year.
I think it's north of that. It seems like the AAV for contracts has taken a step up, almost entirely across the board this year. In part because of McDavid setting a new ceiling, and partly I think because there is an extra ~75 million available dollars in NHL salaries avaliable this year, and an extra ~23 starting NHL jobs to be had (more if you account for injuries and call ups). This leads to a slight watering down of the talent pool on each team across the league, and teams with a little more cap room to spend, shelling out extra AAV in order to lock guys down. I think we've seen a increase in average salary, and this is the new normal. I would expect that Leon is going to see a minmum of 7mil, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it creep up closer to 8mil(Including living in Edmonton bonus)

Last edited by FlamesFanTrev; 08-01-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Closed Thread