Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #7501
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Why on earth is there a Hamilton v. Larsson poll? That is like attempting to draw comparisons between Tyler Seguin and Brandon Dubinsky.

Because that's HF Boards.... I place where sense and reason does not exist.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #7502
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
don't forget the 8 points or whatever it was that we absolutely gifted them
Oh God yeah.....dont remind me. That was horrifying. In their Cinderella season we handed them 8 goddamned points too...

Quote:
You are wrong, Locke:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #7503
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Flames just had horrible luck against Edmonton akin to the playoff series against Anaheim. I'm pretty sure we outchanced them in all four games but were done in by head-scratch worthy bull####. I still remember that game (I think it was in January) were Slepyshev picked up the puck on the halfwalls on one of the first shots of the game and just beat Elliott cleanly over his shoulder and everyone I was with just collectively rolled their eyes like 'oh here we go again'. I think the Flames on paper are just as good (or even better) than the Oilers or Ducks, but they have to believe it as well. Confidence is a prerequisite for success, and unless our guys believe that they can beat those teams, they won't. I like the way our schedule starts this season, on the road in Edmonton for kickoff and not too long after that on the road at the Honda center for game 3. Although this team could go on to lose both of those games and have a stellar season, I still think that those will be fairly critical litmus tests for this club.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #7504
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I think the Flames on paper are just as good (or even better) than the Oilers or Ducks, but they have to believe it as well. Confidence is a prerequisite for success, and unless our guys believe that they can beat those teams, they won't.
considering the last 10 years, I doubt the flames lack confidence in their ability to beat the Oilers.

so I don't think that's it at all.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #7505
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm pretty sure we outchanced them in all four games but were done in by head-scratch worthy bull####. I still remember that game (I think it was in January) were Slepyshev picked up the puck on the halfwalls on one of the first shots of the game and just beat Elliott cleanly over his shoulder and everyone I was with just collectively rolled their eyes like 'oh here we go again'.
It was Johnson IIRC. I remember that game being Johnson's as a sort of "redemption" game after a meh outing previously and then bam, so much for that. Did not help the stigma of Chad having a very weak glove side. You could kind of feel the entire team get punched in the gut with that goal.

I'm slightly edgy of both our new goalies playing a style that has them further back in the crease. They're both really big though at 6'4, so that helps, but boy they better have a decent glove hand...
Old 07-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #7506
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
considering the last 10 years, I doubt the flames lack confidence in their ability to beat the Oilers.

so I don't think that's it at all.
You think what Iginla and Langkow did to the Oilers of the past has any influence on how Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Hamilton perceive the BOA? Aren't we like 0-7 lifetime vs. McDavid now?
Old 07-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #7507
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You think what Iginla and Langkow did to the Oilers of the past has any influence on how Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Hamilton perceive the BOA? Aren't we like 0-7 lifetime vs. McDavid now?
Honestly, last season, IMO, was a disaster for us and it didnt have anything to do with McDavid.

The Flames were their own worst enemy last season and it culminated in the playoffs where the Ducks played them like a violin.

I am still on the fence regarding Gulutzan, I think hes got some potential but I'm cautious about his ability to lead this team mentally.

When we're getting in our own way nobody seems able to get us sorted out.

Our games against the Oilers were a complete shambles and when everything is just going to hell like that your coach has to get you out.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #7508
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope.

Nov. 1, 2015. McDavid was pointless in a 5-4 loss.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #7509
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Our games against the Oilers were a complete shambles and when everything is just going to hell like that your coach has to get you out.
If he would just call a time out every now and then. That drove me mad.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #7510
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
If he would just call a time out every now and then. That drove me mad.
Me too. It concerns me, but anyways, the only thing this has to do with the Oilers is that we handed them points last season that I'm expecting we wont do again.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #7511
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
The fact that it isn't completely lopsided poll in favor of Hamilton shows how naive and factually inept the users of that site are. Then again it is the site with the biggest congregation of Oilers fans on the internet so what else would you expect.
Larsson and Klefbom are clearly better then any other blueliner in Canada, possibly the States, all of the European leagues and the Great Blachah GOE139 from Persia Omicron 6.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 03:33 PM   #7512
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Nope.

Nov. 1, 2015. McDavid was pointless in a 5-4 loss.
McDavid was also held pointless in a 5-0 drubbing at the hands of the Flames on 2 April, 2016.

I don't believe that the accolades of Iginla and co. against the Oilers has any effect on how current players perform, but I am fairly certain that the tremendous success that players like Giordano, Brodie, Backlund, Gaudreau, and Monahan have experienced v. Edmonton does in fact make a considerable contribution.

The Oilers are not "in their head," and I am highly confident that the Flames will play them well this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #7513
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I hate HF with a passion. It's such an awful place.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 04:07 PM   #7514
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flames were 3-1-1 vs the Oilers 2 years ago. McDavid was 1-2 vs the Flames that year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #7515
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
McDavid was also held pointless in a 5-0 drubbing at the hands of the Flames on 2 April, 2016.

I don't believe that the accolades of Iginla and co. against the Oilers has any effect on how current players perform, but I am fairly certain that the tremendous success that players like Giordano, Brodie, Backlund, Gaudreau, and Monahan have experienced v. Edmonton does in fact make a considerable contribution.

The Oilers are not "in their head," and I am highly confident that the Flames will play them well this year.
And ask Mike Smith if he's sweating the Oilers.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #7516
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Honestly, last season, IMO, was a disaster for us and it didnt have anything to do with McDavid.

The Flames were their own worst enemy last season and it culminated in the playoffs where the Ducks played them like a violin.

I am still on the fence regarding Gulutzan, I think hes got some potential but I'm cautious about his ability to lead this team mentally.

When we're getting in our own way nobody seems able to get us sorted out.

Yeah, one of my biggest peeves is how many games Gulutzen would watch an implosion happen on the ice and still refuse to use his time-out, like yeah I get that you're saving it for a coaches challenge if need be, but at the same time sometimes a little stop for reflection and a breather by the bench is all what's needed to turn the momentum back the other way. Hopefully we see more of this next season.

Last edited by Love; 07-18-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #7517
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So I have a dilemma: I have a co-worker here in Edmonton (hopefully not for too long) that I will be going to the season opener with, he is a massive Oilers fan.

We have also agreed to go to the first BOA this year in Calgary as well. He wants to bet on game #1, the problem is that he wants to make a jersey wearing wager, where if the Flames lose, I have to wear an Oilers jersey to the game in Cgy, and vice versa.

The Flames always seem to struggle early on, but I have more faith in this team than I have in years past. But, is it worth the risk??

Last edited by Sutter_in_law; 07-18-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #7518
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
So I have a dilemna: I have a co-worker here in Edmonton (hopefully not for too long) that I will be going to the season opener with, he is a massive Oilers fan.

We have also agreed to go to the first BOA this year in Calgary as well. He wants to bet on game #1, the problem is that he wants to make a jersey wearing wager, where if the Flames lose, I have to wear an Oilers jersey to the game in Cgy, and vice versa.

The Flames always seem to struggle early on, but I have more faith in this team than I have in years past. But, is it worth the risk??

Totally worth the risk. That's a really fun bet!
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #7519
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, one of my biggest peeves is how many games Gulutzen would watch an implosion happen on the ice and still refuse to use his time-out, like yeah I get that you're saving it for a coaches challenge if need be, but at the same time sometimes a little stop for reflection and a breather by the bench is all what's needed to turn the momentum back the other way. Hopefully we see more of this next season.
To be fair, he probably used it challenging a borderline play.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #7520
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
So I have a dilemma: I have a co-worker here in Edmonton (hopefully not for too long) that I will be going to the season opener with, he is a massive Oilers fan.

Definitely take that bet. If you win you get to force him to go to a game in a Flames jersey, if you lose you get to murder him and still wear a Flames jersey to the next game. It's a win/win.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread