Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2024, 03:49 PM   #21
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
We stayed at one of the resort villages north of Kona on the big island. I enjoyed the big island as it is pretty unique as there are like 15 of the 17 climate zones on that island. Did a guided excursion to the volcano national park. Only thing with these resort villages vs staying in a city is they tend to have you unless you have a vehicle and the prices are definitely reflected. So it may be worth while to see what amenities are near by if you decide not to have a vehicle for the entire trip, they all seem to be near some sort of shopping area that is walkable (20 mins).

The other thing we found a little too late while we were there, is that it isn't that expensive to island hop, even if you just want to go to a specific island just for a day.
The big island is big. If you go there renting a vehicle is pretty much a must, imo.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2024, 03:54 PM   #22
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If big cities/nightlife are not your thing, I think either Maui or Kauai would fit the bill nicely. I have also been to the Big Island, which is also great, but for the first time, I think Maui or Kauai fit the more typical Hawaiian experience of nice beaches, nice hikes/waterfalls and generally chill atmosphere. Depending on the time of year, you can get direct flights as well.

If it is a bigger trip, you can always do a couple of islands. Honolulu isn't my bag, but there are some really beautiful spots around the island.

Once you narrow it down, I think the CP hive will be able to provide lots of good tips.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 04:12 PM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now...Maui might not be super hot-awesome at the moment...well, it might be hot, but theres stuff missing.

I will say with Maui though, a week is probably lots. We saw pretty everything in that time. Museums, beaches, drove around the Island, went to the top to the observatory.

I'll say that the observatory is not nearly as cool as advertised because you're not allowed in or anything.

We had to rescue some cyclist because...you'd have to be out your goddamned mind to try and cycle up there. We had a Nissan Rogue which is crappy enough and that POS barely made it.

The thing I mention to people is...I dont know what they make their roads out of, but if theres even a slight drizzle (which there always is) they might as well be covered in ice.

I remember bitching to a bartender.

"Man...I come from a land of Ice and Snow...its 30 degrees outside and your roads are slick as hell! W.T.F? Is it an insurance grift? What?"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 04:14 PM   #24
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
The big island is big. If you go there renting a vehicle is pretty much a must, imo.
That is true, but you don't need one the entire time. We were there for 10 days and we just rented one for the days we wanted to go elsewhere. That being said, there was a car rental place within the place we stayed (Waikoloa Village) That way you are only paying for the days you need a vehicle and not paying for parking.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 04:17 PM   #25
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

If you do Oahu you can definitely skip Honolulu. It's pretty meh.

The zipline course is amazing, so you'd have to do that. We stayed in the neighbourhood by the lagoons and it was great. Also a gate to keep out the riff raff, which you seriously want. There are ne'er do wells aplenty.

We did some botanical nature walk of some sort. That was fantastic. Drive around the island...that was great, too.

The more I think about it, Oahu is pretty great. Maui, too, though. Maybe squeeze in both. I honestly get my fill within four days at either. Then you're just rinsing and repeating the sht you already did and I get bored of sitting on beaches really fast.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 04:20 PM   #26
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

If you rent a car, get a minivan. I'm paranoid so tsunamis are kind of on my mind a bit there. With a van you can throw in your bedding from your air bnb and have yourself an instant camper. One of my friends was there once during a tsunami warning and they had to evacuate up to higher ground. After watching what she went through I figure having a vehicle that can also be my bed is the best play in tsunami zones.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 04:21 PM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
If you do Oahu you can definitely skip Honolulu. It's pretty meh.

The zipline course is amazing, so you'd have to do that. We stayed in the neighbourhood by the lagoons and it was great. Also a gate to keep out the riff raff, which you seriously want. There are ne'er do wells aplenty.

We did some botanical nature walk of some sort. That was fantastic. Drive around the island...that was great, too.

The more I think about it, Oahu is pretty great. Maui, too, though. Maybe squeeze in both. I honestly get my fill within four days at either. Then you're just rinsing and repeating the sht you already did and I get bored of sitting on beaches really fast.
I love sitting on beaches.

Reading a book, having a few drinks, dips in the ocean, its great.

What I found though is that sitting on the beach in Maui is essentially like sitting in an autobody sandblaster booth.

It gets unpleasant in a hurry.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-29-2024, 04:23 PM   #28
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

If you dig up a tiki idol, leave it where it is.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 04:29 PM   #29
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maui is the answer to all of life's questions
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2024, 04:35 PM   #30
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’ve been to most islands multiple times. Maui is my favorite, Oahu my least favourite. It still has nice parts once you get away from the city, but just no real reason to go there over the other islands.

Kauai is the quietest spot, though I haven’t been there in quite a while. The big island is very nice too. But Maui is still my favourite.

And yes, it is expensive. You aren’t going to Hawaii cause it’s cheap. If you want cheap go to Dominican. But it is nicer than Dominican or Mexico, and worth it in my opinion.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 04:37 PM   #31
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
OK, so I have decided to take my wife to Hawaii for out 25th anniversary.

I know #### all about Hawaii.

Neither she or I are interested in big city and nightclubs.

We are down to hang by pool, snorkel, walk to restaurants (or drive) for dinners.

Looking for suggestions on where to go and where to stay.
Based on your criteria, I'd go Maui.
Oahu (Honolulu in particular) is too much of a city.

The Kaanapali area is a nice stretch with a lot of different hotels and a long beach you can walk between them to try different restaurants etc.
It will give you the quintessential Hawaii tourist experience.

Wailea is stunning but more high end and expensive. We love it here, but don't know your budget. White Lotus season 1 is the Four Seasons Wailea if you've watched it.

We are going to Kapulua beginning of April which we haven't been to before but looks stunning as well.

I mentioned this in the general travel thread too, but Costo Travel is very good if you book through them.
You can get a better price and a lot of extras at your hotel like free breakfasts, waived resort fees, free car rentals etc.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 04:42 PM   #32
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

To add to what Winsor said about areas on Maui, I’d just add that I really like Kihei as well. Very walkable, great beaches right there, lots of food options. Not super expensive compared to Wailea. But it is pretty busy with traffic along the main beachfront road.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2024, 06:12 PM   #33
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Team Kona.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2024, 06:25 PM   #34
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maui, Kauai, big island and Oahu in that order. Maui is my favourite place on earth. Been there half a dozen times and still planning on going back in Nov. we’re also hitting up Kauai on that trip as well, it’s super chill, very good place to totally unwind. But Maui is it if you want beaches and the snorkelling up in Kapalua is awesome.
Zulu29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 06:30 PM   #35
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My two cents:

Oahu is great but don’t stay in Waikiki. There’s more than to Waikiki! Amazing beaches on the North side and further west of North Shore. Go explore Oahu. Go have some amazing Poke at Tanioca and Kohoku. Rent a car for the day and go around the island in a day! Beware of the traffic tho! Leave first thing in the morning, avoid rush hour at all cost! One way in, one way out!
Unfortunately lots of homeless people in Waikiki after dark. They try to “clean up” the area during the day.
Go explore Oahu’s Chinatown and you will have probably the best Vietnamese, Filipino, Singaporean, Chinese dishes outside of these countries!

Maui is good if you have any kids. The waves are smaller and gentler. Great food scene but accommodations are $$$ right now.

Kona/Big Island is ok. Less busier than the first two. Greener and more laid back.

Kauai is definitely waaaaayyy more laid back than the first 3. Less traffic as it’s the least visited island , which is good! Lots of mom and pops store with fresh fruit etc. Great for hiking too. Ask the locals for l”secluded” beaches.More of a hippy/old school Hawaii! The waves are definitely bigger due to the location but great for surfing if you’re into it! Lots of roosters! Too!

You can’t go really wrong with Hawaii. It’s expensive if you’re doing the touristy things like Luau. Go to Costco grab some booze and grocery’s. Go to Foodland to try their 10 million types of poke. Try the local donuts, malasadas, and talk to the locals!

Try spam and chicken musubi’s and other delicacies only native to Hawaii.

Hope you enjoy the islands wherever you may choose to go!

Last edited by DylanScores; 01-29-2024 at 07:01 PM.
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DylanScores For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2024, 06:46 PM   #36
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanScores View Post
My two cents:

Oahu is great but don’t stay in Waikiki. There’s more than to Waikiki! Amazing beaches on the North side and further west of North Shore. Go explore Oahu. Go have some amazing Poke at Tanioca and Kohoku. Rent a car for the day and go around the island in a day! Beware of the traffic tho! Leave first thing in the morning, avoid rush hour at all cost! One way in, one way out!
Unfortunately lots of homeless people in Waikiki after dark. They try to “clean up” the area during the day.
Go explore Oahu’s Chinatown and you will have probably the best Vietnamese, Filipino, Singaporean, Chinese dishes outside of these countries!

Maui is good if you have any kids. The waves are smaller and gentler. Great food scene but accommodations are $$$ right now.

Kona/Big Island is ok. Less busier than the first two. Greener and more laid back.

Kauai is definitely waaaaayyy more laid back than the first 3. Less traffic as it’s the least visited island , which is good! Lots of mom and pops store with fresh fruit etc. Great for hiking too. Ask the locals for l”secluded” beaches.More of a hippy/old school Hawaii! The waves are definitely bigger due to the location but great for surfing if you’re into it! Lots of cocks too!!! lol

You can’t go really wrong with Hawaii. It’s expensive if you’re doing the touristy things like Luau. Go to Costco grab some booze and grocery’s. Go to Foodland to try their 10 million types of poke. Try the local donuts, malasadas, and talk to the locals!

Try spam and chicken musubi’s and other delicacies only native to Hawaii.

Hope you enjoy the islands wherever you may choose to go!
Now this is a man that knows how to sell an island
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2024, 06:56 PM   #37
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Now this is a man that knows how to sell an island
He knows what he's about.

Old 01-29-2024, 07:00 PM   #38
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

There’s a lot of roosters on the island of Kauai!
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 07:17 PM   #39
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanScores View Post
There’s a lot of roosters on the island of Kauai!
Is that the new code word for penis?

But yeah, they're everywhere. Kauai is probably the last island that feels like the authentic version of Hawaii. Rustic, friendly, mom and pop type businesses. I remember we did a river tubing thing that ended with the guide playing a ukulele and singing while we ate baloney (not spam) sandwiches that they provided. He just decided to do it because he felt like it, not to impress the tourists. Doesn't get more authentic than that.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2024, 07:23 PM   #40
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been to Maui in 1987, Kauai in 2004 and Big Island (Kona side) in 2012. Stopped for a day in Waikiki on the first two trips but flew straight outta Kona in 2012. My memory of Maui won't be sufficient to chime in on that as I was in middle school and now I'm an old man.

However, Kauai was the most relaxing vacation I ever had in my life. Everything is so chill and laid back. Get a car. It's only like 1hr to go from North Shore to South Shore. Google Maps tells me 1hr 21 minutes from Hanalei Bay to Poipu beach but I don't remember it taking anywhere near that long when we were there. You need to rent a car to get anywhere efficiently on any of the islands. We snorkelled on the beach where Bethany Hamilton lost her arm to a shark. I didn't see the shark, they must have relocated it.

Big Island is really awesome too. We stayed in the golf course in Waikoloa Village, we were there for a wedding and that was the cheapest group rate, so we did some driving, but it was worth it. You mostly drive along the coast line so you never get bored and the landscaping when you're cutting across land is still picturesque. Volcano was ultra cool!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote