Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2023, 09:12 AM   #41
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I mean, I guess we're talking about semantics here, but I'll just start taking 2-5% of your money and call it whatever? Not every business is Walmart. Here in Salmon Arm about 80% of the retail stores are not big corporations and they're feeling the same issue.

If it was constant, it would suck and just be the cost of doing business. It was that easy for a long time. The issue is that it's growing and fast. That's going to destroy A Touch A Texas in the mall beside me before it'll destroy me. Is that "whatever"?
In the grand scheme of things? Yeah. What are you doing about it, what are they?

“Whatever” doesn’t mean stealing is OK and people should feel comfortable stealing. It’s a reflection of the effort put in by people whose job it is to stop it from happening.

I’m not saying you don’t care enough. But malls, big box retailers, and major grocery stores want to pretend it’s a big deal when they do basically nothing to prevent it.

Do you think someone working at Dick’s or Walmart or Superstore should see someone stealing and give a crap enough to do anything other than tell someone whose actual job it is to stop it that it’s happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
I guess some people suck. Some people’s attitudes toward theft suck too. People should be teaching their kids that theft isn’t “whatever”. It’s wrong. Period.
No ####. That’s why it’s against the law.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 09:17 AM   #42
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
In the grand scheme of things? Yeah. What are you doing about it, what are they?

“Whatever” doesn’t mean stealing is OK and people should feel comfortable stealing. It’s a reflection of the effort put in by people whose job it is to stop it from happening.

I’m not saying you don’t care enough. But malls, big box retailers, and major grocery stores want to pretend it’s a big deal when they do basically nothing to prevent it.

Do you think someone working at Dick’s or Walmart or Superstore should see someone stealing and give a crap enough to do anything other than tell someone whose actual job it is to stop it that it’s happening?

No ####. That’s why it’s against the law.

Makes sense. It’s the retailers fault people are stealing. “You are not doing enough to stop it”. Great take.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:25 AM   #43
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Makes sense. It’s the retailers fault people are stealing. “You are not doing enough to stop it”. Great take.
Since you’re struggling:

Quote:
It’s already against the law, what more do you want?

What do you expect any retail worker to do about it?

Like it or not, it’s “whatever.” If it wasn’t, police would take it more seriously. Malls would be properly staffed with security. People wouldn’t just watch something that preventable happen.
Don’t be afraid to use your brain.

Police don’t do enough and nobody hires enough security. Places like Superstore and Walmart can afford more security, let’s not pretend otherwise.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:29 AM   #44
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Since you’re struggling:

Don’t be afraid to use your brain.

Police don’t do enough and nobody hires enough security. Places like Superstore and Walmart can afford more security, let’s not pretend otherwise.
Guess you’ve had a change of heart since your previous post.

Quote:
Stealing is whatever, just don’t hurt anyone on your way out.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:34 AM   #45
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Guess you’ve had a change of heart since your previous post.
No, I’ve already explained that. Police, malls, and retailers might talk game but it is whatever. You think grocery chains that are raking in record profits give a #### about theft? lol. Come on. You think Walmart can’t afford to hire security? Guy, wake up.

Are you going to keep enlightening us with hot takes like “this illegal thing is WRONG! it is not OK!”? Great stuff. Nobody knew stealing was wrong. Blown away over here.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:35 AM   #46
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Whatever.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:35 AM   #47
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
What are you getting at? Which solutions? Taxes? Unions?

I actually don’t really think either will work. I’m also not against trying them though, may as well, but, they won’t work. Human nature will find a way to corrupt and concentrate power no matter what solution is thought of. Why? Because it’s human nature.
The floor is yours Mr.Coffee. I’d be very interested to hear in greater detail how you’ve rationalized your theory that lower income workers having a higher earning potential would make the problem worse. Do you think it’s rich people robbing these stores?

As a side note, increasing income for people reduces the need to increase taxes because revenues would already increase as a result of their increased earnings.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 09:38 AM   #48
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with you. I haven’t met a parent that teaches their kids theft is “whatever”. However they do exist, unfortunately.

https://youtu.be/JltfsoYIJmM

Ahh wherever. It’s just theft. Not a big deal.
South Africa might not have been the best choice....

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 09:55 AM   #49
Dynamic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This thread has too much people making excuses for stealing and almost sympathizing with them. If the government said that starting today you could physically stop thief’s in your store without potential legal repercussions that would stop much of this garbage. Once the figured out companies would rather just pay insurance than actually stop them from stealing, it will only get worse. Everything then gets more expensive for everyone because believe it or not insurance is not free.
Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dynamic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 10:07 AM   #50
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imo, there's still a reasonable middle ground between thinking stealing is wrong, and not feeling sympathy for retail giants who take their losses out on their employees and customers while posting record profits
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:08 AM   #51
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
America seems nice
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...rise-inflation

The Retail Council of Canada says that on average retail thefts have risen by about 300 per cent since the pandemic began in 2020.

“There is absolutely an increase in (shoplifting) incidents and in volume of goods stolen, that’s the first thing our members consistently tell us,” said Greg Wilson, director of government relations and regulatory affairs for the Retail Council

And more alarmingly, retailers are reporting a huge spike in abusive behaviour toward sales staff and cashiers.

“We’re very concerned about the dramatic increase in violence in retail stores,” Wilson said. “Honestly, just the harassment of frontline retail workers, I don’t think I’ve ever talked to a government official before about concern about retail store workers being harassed.”

Retailers also report a rise in brazenness, such as thieves walking out of stores with shopping carts full of items that weren’t paid for.

“But also we’ve seen people who are repeat offenders and we’ve dealt with the same people 18, 30, 40 times in some cases. It almost seems like the system has no way to properly address people who are in that type of crisis who are hurting other people along the way.”
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 10:11 AM   #52
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I've been a parent for 20 years.

I've met lots of parents.

I've yet to meet one that teaches their kids that theft is "whatever".

Sometimes kids veer away from how their parents have tried to raise them.
"Eating free at Walmart"
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:14 AM   #53
Fuzzy14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I seem to recall a news story at the start of the pandemic involving drastic increases in meat thefts. People just packing roasts and ribeyes in their jackets and booking it.

Alot of this theft comes from a mix of desperate people on one hand, and people who have noticed there are no consequences to their actions on the other.
Fuzzy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:15 AM   #54
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
This thread has too much people making excuses for stealing and almost sympathizing with them. If the government said that starting today you could physically stop thief’s in your store without potential legal repercussions that would stop much of this garbage. Once the figured out companies would rather just pay insurance than actually stop them from stealing, it will only get worse. Everything then gets more expensive for everyone because believe it or not insurance is not free.
Yup, the legal consequences for the person stopping the theft are greater than the person doing the theft. Thus, we are seeing a lot more theft.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:26 AM   #55
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
You're response doesn't really make sense to his post? He wasn't claiming theft doesn't make things worse at all. He was suggesting that capitalism and company greed are driving us off a cliff right now and they will continue to do so, and as long as they do so theft will likely be the least of our societies problems as we are destroyed by the rich.
Is it greed increasing the cost of retail items? Are brick and mortar retailers more profitable today than they were 5 or 10 years ago?

It’s not as though this is the first time stuff has gotten more expensive. Look at the eye-watering inflation rates of the 70s and 80s. Which was combined with far higher unemployment than we have today. What kind of losses from shoplifting were retailers hit by back then? Were thieves brazenly walking out with goods the way they are today?

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 08-23-2023 at 10:30 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:36 AM   #56
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is basically the sick of the crack heads thread but replacing crackheads with shoplifters

If you make something socially acceptable - stealing , drugs in public - you will see a rise . And that rise will lead to another rise

There are a ton of very complex and different reasons why a person partakes in either on both ends of the spectrum , but in the end if a society accepts the behaviour it will continue to spread regardless of any other actions

Giving these looters $1000 a month for food isn’t going to stop the looting . It’s just going to make the looters $1000 richer

No one is worried about the toothpaste being taken here and there by a grandma or a kid eating a grape . It’s the organized full looting that is now socially accepted .

These aren’t “down on their luck citizens “ . These are criminals
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 10:37 AM   #57
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe being a godless society has led to the uptick in theft? People aren't afraid of the eternal frying pan anymore.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:39 AM   #58
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Maybe being a godless society has led to the uptick in theft? People aren't afraid of the eternal frying pan anymore.
That's just silly.

Maybe if people still believed in Santa Clause they'd behave better.

See? Silly.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 10:47 AM   #59
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I mean, I guess we're talking about semantics here, but I'll just start taking 2-5% of your money and call it whatever? Not every business is Walmart. Here in Salmon Arm about 80% of the retail stores are not big corporations and they're feeling the same issue.

If it was constant, it would suck and just be the cost of doing business. It was that easy for a long time. The issue is that it's growing and fast. That's going to destroy A Touch A Texas in the mall beside me before it'll destroy me. Is that "whatever"?
As a percentage of sales how has the value of stolen goods changed over the years?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:52 AM   #60
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's just silly.

Maybe if people still believed in Santa Clause they'd behave better.

See? Silly.
It might be silly but to some degree it’s likely true. Religion likely evolved to maintain social order through self enforcement.

You only need to look at effectivenes of pandemic measures to see the difference between individualist and collectivist societies. Religion was one of the few remaining collectivist pulls in North America so its decrease without replacement is likely to lead to more individualist actions.

This doesn’t mean religion is good or beneficial just that the means of enforcing the social contract will change as a society becomes less religious
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: