Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2017, 04:14 PM   #61
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbe31 View Post
I think Engelland's time in Calgary has been hugely underrated. I especially remember the way he stepped up once Gio went down in 2015. Could you replace his skill and work ethic? Probably. But I'd suspect there's a lot more to him than just what he does on the ice.

I think there's a lot to be said for having a guy who, on a primarily young team, has stepped in to defend anyone and everyone during scrums. Beating up two Vancouver Canucks at once? I want that guy on my team.
Yes and it's certainly nice to have a coach who really likes you from past and present
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:23 PM   #62
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Pretty amazing given the reaction on here and around the media when Engelland signed that three year deal that now the majority want him back.

Wish the Raymond deal worked out the same!

Either way my biggest issue with him is the right handed shot, as that puts Andersson in a sticky situation with Gulutzan's insistence on right hand left hand combos.

Gives Kulak and Kylington a leg up though. Maybe a sneak attack from Hickey.
Well...in fairness....thats kind of Mason Raymond's fault.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:26 PM   #63
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
If Engelland is super cheap(<1.5), I would play him with a rookie on the third pairing and keep Bartkowski aa the 7th dman.

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Stone
Engelland-Andersson
Bartkowski/Healey
Getting Engelland at <1.5 will be tough when you have Francois Beauchemin at 4.5 in Colorado. I am not saying Engelland deserves 4.5 but no way he signs in Calgary for cheap.
tsquared1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:26 PM   #64
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trelivings first priority should be to extend Stone - 3 yrs at $3.33 AAV would be ideal. If a deal like that can get done then you look at Engelland, but to be brutal about it you offer him one year at $2MM. If he can do better elsewhere, you let him go. Maybe Bartkowski can grow into the next Engelland.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #65
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I Don't know where else to say this because its a couple of threads right now making me feel this way, But I love the direction which this organisation is headed:
Smart college signings,
there is only a little anxiety over who we lose in the expansion draft,
the Flames prospects are developing well,
the UFA's on this team are worth extending,
and the Flames are in a playoff spot!

Wow, what a day to be a Flames fan!
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #66
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I am a bigger Derek Engelland fan than most around here and think the guy has been invaluable to the youngsters on the club the last 3 seasons. Love the way he plays, the simplicity of his game, his toughness and certainly his "glueness" in the room.

Would love to see him back.

But in no way should be offered anything longer than 2 years, if thats what he is
seeking then they have to let him walk. And his AAV cannot exceed 3.5 per IMO.

That may be more to ask of him than he will see on the open market, partcularly with his ties to Vegas already.

My guess is there is no common ground and he is gone.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:41 PM   #67
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as Stone's demands are reasonable, he's the first UFA I want signed on the blue line. A strong playoff run could go a long way to cementing his status as this team's #4 until one of the younger guys is able to step in and take that role.

Engelland has done everything asked of him (and more), and I'd have no issue if he had another year on his contract paying him to be a dependable #5. That said, he'll get some decent offers and I don't expect we'll be able to compete given our own roster/cap situation.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 04:41 PM   #68
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I am a bigger Derek Engelland fan than most around here and think the guy has been invaluable to the youngsters on the club the last 3 seasons. Love the way he plays, the simplicity of his game, his toughness and certainly his "glueness" in the room.

But in no way should be offered anything longer than 2 years, if thats what he is

That may be more to ask of him than he will see on the open market, partcularly with his ties to Vegas already.

I wouldn't mind offering him a slightly longer contract for cheaper. The last years of his contract could be spent in the AHL helping young D men develop. especially because he made it to the NHL the hard way.

But I totally agree, there might be an irreparable difference between the two parties in terms of contract.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:45 PM   #69
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

If you ever hear someone yelling "GO DERYK ENGELLAND" at a game when everyone else yells go flames go, that's me.

So all y'all who think you're the biggest Engelland fans better step up.

That said, I don't see how it works out. It'll be on Engelland to make a compromise to stay in Calgary.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #70
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

I like him too but $3.5 is too rich. He is a bottom pairing guy.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #71
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

All Deryk Engelland threads should include this picture.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #72
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am not an Engelland fan. I see that lands me in the overwhelming minority.
I think he misses his pass way too often, and gets in trouble too often for anything but the 3rd pairing.
He brings a lot of work and grit and it's hard not to admire his story.
He's been a LOT better this year and silenced many critics.... but it's a contract year.
Sorry CP, do not want Mr. Engelland back.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #73
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stone takes priority for me.

Should not forget our organizational depth at D. There are talented kids down there and Engelland will be at that time when a decline is likely. Re-signing should come after Stone and only if he's willing to take two years or less IMO. Let's keep spots open for the kids with bright futures too.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:34 PM   #74
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am out of thanks, but I would like to echo many posters on welcoming Engelland back.

I do think he is a big part of this team. That new contract will be a 35+ contract, and those are scary. However, a bonus-laden contract that covers the majority of his salary helps to mitigate the risk. Still scary though.

With that being said, Engelland hasn't looked like he is slowing down. Even towards the end when he wears out, he can be an expensive regular scratch that comes in just to beat up Lucic. I'm ok with that. MacGrattan did say that Engelland was the NHL's best technical fighter (though it didn't help to stop MacGrattan much at all). There is something more to that. Remember a few seasons ago, Hartley brought in somebody to teach the players how to fight (and not get hurt). I am sure Engelland has been helping with some players - if not, he definitely should be doing that.

Engelland is great defensively, and that is first and foremost of why people really like him. MacGrattan would be pounding Lucy and Moron from Edmonton with both of his hands tied behind his back, but that is all he would be doing. IIRC, Engelland was the only plus defencemen in Calgary for that first 15 or so games, and I remember reading (and also thought myself) that he was the best defencemen for Calgary for most of those games.

That is a really good guy for a young prospect to cut their teeth with. Ideally that would have been Regehr, or even Warrener, but Engelland has that solid positioning. Plus, when Kylington needs to be reigned-in a bit from over-committing on offence, is he really going to ignore an Engelland barking at him on the ice? I don't think so. Engelland provides some stability back there.

In my opinion, Bartkowski is gone next season. Yes, he is signed, but he is either in the AHL or Treliving is going to move him. It seems to me almost like Bartkowski is regressing a bit. Kind of the same idea as Kulak - great to start, but over time, just starts fading.

Stone will be re-signed. It isn't just Stone's dependable play, but rather Stone's AND Brodie's dependable play. Flames couldn't find a partner that worked well with Brodie (though I think Engelland is fine). Stone adds a lot of value to the organization because of this, so I can't see them not re-signing him unless his demands are too high.

How do they fit both of them next season?

In addition the FAs that are expected to not be re-signed, perhaps Treliving already has an idea of who he is likely to lose, or perhaps has already received word on who it probably will be. Unfortunately, I think I know who it will be. I think Stajan is gone. He has been doing well this year, is a leader, and he will be entering the last year of his contract, and his contract itself is attractive as it carries a higher cap hit than actual salary for the upcoming year.

Engelland is a worthwhile piece to retain, though his age does scare me. He has been improving rather than regressing, however, so here's hoping!
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 05:39 PM   #75
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really hope they thank Deryk and move on.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:45 PM   #76
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Count me in as one who would like him back, but at a discounted rate. May be too much to ask.
flame^thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:15 PM   #77
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
It's not typical for a UFA to take a pay cut. Engelland is probably gone.
Huh? Glencross, Hudler, Russell, Franson. I think all those players thought they'd hit it big in UFA and ended up signing for less money or term than everyone was expecting.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:44 PM   #78
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the idea of having two "kids" taking spots on the back end next season.

Hopefully they are ready this time and BT doesn't have to go out and get another Bartkowski.

If you assume Stone is back, or at the very least another competent righty to partner with Brodie in the top 4, then the only open spot is the #7 spot and the third pairing right hand shot spot.

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Stone

LHD's that are in the running -

Bartkowski, Kulak (RFA), Wotherspoon (RFA), Healey, Kylington, Hickey (unsigned but hopefully soon signed)

RHD's that are in the running -

Andersson, Morrison (RFA)

Not many righties in the mix. No wonder they speak about possibly bringing Engelland back. Maybe they go out and sign a younger right handed UFA Dman instead to push Andersson?

RHD - Cody Goloubef (27)
RHD - Taylor Fedun (28)
RHD - Eric Gryba (28)
RHD - Korbinian Holzer (29)
RHD - Dylan McIlrath (24) <-Future Deryk Engelland??
RHD - Steven Kampfer (28)
RHD - Philip Larsen (27)
RHD - Paul Postma (28)
RHD - Roman Polak (30)
RHD - Chad Ruhwedel (26) <- I like this one
RHD - Matt Tennyson (26)
RHD - Yannick Weber (28)

Lots of potential for decent bottom pairing right handed Dmen out there on the UFA market this off-season. All shapes, sizes and styles available.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #79
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I agree with a player of his age, term needs to be a concern, but for those who are getting perscriptive on wanting a 1 year deal, can I ask why?
The biggest reason, it seems to me, is that the league's rules on 35+ contracts are awful. If the contract goes for multiple years, the team is stuck with the entire cap hit even if the player retires. That's just not a chance worth taking in most cases.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #80
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
All Deryk Engelland threads should include this picture.

Two Canucks with the same gun

4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote