Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #121
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
So gang.... what are the predictions?

My guesses:

Calgary Foothills: Prentice
Calgary Elbow: Clark (in a close one as right wing vote gets split and the Liberal/NDP vote goes to the AB Party)
Calgary West: PCs. PCs pull out a close one

Edmonton Whitemud: Mandel wins, with the NDP running a strong second.
Foothills: Prentice
Elbow: I'm horrible with predictions, but I think it's between Dirks/Fletcher with Dirks squeaking out a win. Think Clark lands in Third.
West: I think Taylor takes this one.
Whitemud: Mandel win in a land slide.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c.t.ner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #122
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.t.ner View Post
Foothills: Prentice
Elbow: I'm horrible with predictions, but I think it's between Dirks/Fletcher with Dirks squeaking out a win. Think Clark lands in Third.
West: I think Taylor takes this one.
Whitemud: Mandel win in a land slide.
I'm in the exact same spot. I think Taylor (WRA) wins in Calgary West. Dirks wins Elbow and both Prentice and Mandel cruise to victory. I am interested in seeing both West and Elbow though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #123
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Prentice, Taylor and Mandel. In Prentice and Mandel's cases, nobody runs a "strong second".

Elbow, likely Dirks with Wildrose posting a decent second place finish. Clark finishes nowhere close, and his supporters spend a lot of time trying to figure out where it all went wrong but at no time realizing that Stephen Carter sold them a bill of goods.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:49 PM   #124
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Wildrose files complaint over 'homophobic' anonymous robocalls

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/al...348/story.html
I got one of those.

I'm neither a Wildrose supporter nor in a byelection riding.

The call doesn't present itself as coming from the Wildrose. What's weird to me is that I'm not sure who would benefit from portraying the Wildrose as overly pro-gay. Certainly, none of the other parties (who would much prefer another "lake of fire"). My thinking was that it could be some kind of "tea party" within or beyond the Wildrose trying to push them towards a homophobic agenda.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:52 PM   #125
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Greg Clark might actually take Calgary-Elbow. He's put together a dream team of political strategists and data-mining geeks. Carter is Carter. A lightning rod but probably a distraction. Out of all of it, Greg Clark is the sharpest guy in the room. He was a top aide to Laurence Decore when Laurence Decore led a 32 member opposition.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:47 AM   #126
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of related in a politico geek sort of way, Rod Love died? Seeing a mention on twitter from Joan Crockatt.

Oh and still put me down for Clark winning Elbow, I just have a gut feeling.

Last edited by Bigtime; 10-27-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:14 AM   #127
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya it's been reported a fee places now. RIP. He had a major impact on the province and city in the past couple of decades.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #128
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I got one of those.

I'm neither a Wildrose supporter nor in a byelection riding.

The call doesn't present itself as coming from the Wildrose. What's weird to me is that I'm not sure who would benefit from portraying the Wildrose as overly pro-gay. Certainly, none of the other parties (who would much prefer another "lake of fire"). My thinking was that it could be some kind of "tea party" within or beyond the Wildrose trying to push them towards a homophobic agenda.
I'd have to agree that this probably comes from a grassroots off shoot of the Wildrose unhappy with their shift to centre. Strange tactic to say the least.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #129
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

I'm garbage at predictions too, but my guess is Dirks wins Elbow, and Clark beats Wright by a wide margin. Then we all debate what that means for the ALP.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #130
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All I know is I'm glad we're not getting robocalls anymore. We used to live in one of the bi-election ridings and currently live in another one and I'm guessing we were getting double up calls.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #131
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.t.ner View Post
I'd have to agree that this probably comes from a grassroots off shoot of the Wildrose unhappy with their shift to centre. Strange tactic to say the least.
I think it is the opposite. There are WRA supporters who hold some pretty extreme views and I think this sounds more like voter suppression targeting them.

As to robocalls I can't believe the phone companies don't do more about it. One of the reasons I cancelled my phone line was because of the high number of random calls.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #132
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

WRA slogan: "Send the PCs a message". I've never seen a political party dumb enough to to make their main platform being that they just happen to be the lesser of 2 evils. Sure tons of parties and candidated campaign and win based on that fact, but you never highlight that as your key attribute.

Then again, I've never seen a political party attract so many people like FirstLady, Danielle Smith-Anders, and the like, so I really shouldn't be surprised.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #133
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Then again, I've never seen a political party attract so many people like FirstLady, Danielle Smith-Anders, and the like, so I really shouldn't be surprised.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #134
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well I just came home to a voicemail message from the Dirks campaign encouraging me to vote and saying I vote at Elboya school. I don't, I already voted at Rideau School. It sounded like a real person, not a robocall, albeit uninformed.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #135
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
WRA slogan: "Send the PCs a message". I've never seen a political party dumb enough to to make their main platform being that they just happen to be the lesser of 2 evils. Sure tons of parties and candidated campaign and win based on that fact, but you never highlight that as your key attribute.
lol. You are either deeply biased or pay no attention to politics whatsoever if you think this is unusual. The sophomoric nature of your second paragraph explains which one it is.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #136
mariners_fever
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

It actually isn't the worst messaging for a byelection, albeit unoriginal seeing as they've used it in 2009 and 2012 elections also. It was great for the 2009 byelection, and it worked.
mariners_fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #137
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

One hour till the results roll in. If you're looking for the results, here's the link.

http://wtv.elections.ab.ca/wtResults.cfm
Old 10-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #138
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

I just voted in Glamorgan--polling station is busier than you'd expect for a byelection, but there was still virtually no line.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #139
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so confused; how is WRA leading in Calgary West. Was Ellis that bad? I don't know either candidate, but we're a high income urban area, and should be leaning Liberal if anything.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #140
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

With 5 polls in, Dirks is up about 120 on Fletcher, and Clark is in third, trailing by about 150.