Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Glenn is alive?
Yes 51 50.50%
No 50 49.50%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #81
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
With this being a made for TV show, I was a little surprised at how graphic the gore was.
Have you never watched CSI?
Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #82
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
They focused on one Zombie a couple time before buddy escaped into the tank. This Zombie came out of the burnt out bus IIRC and then they showed him almost... thinking a couple times after. Could be an interesting plot point, could be be totally overthinking it.
I wouldn't be surprised if they begin to characterize certain zombies further in future episodes. They've already shown that some of them seem to have memories (ie. the wife zombie returning to the house). All in all, I loved the premiere.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #83
zztim81
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they begin to characterize certain zombies further in future episodes. They've already shown that some of them seem to have memories (ie. the wife zombie returning to the house). All in all, I loved the premiere.
hmmm... for a minute i thought this was another olli Jokinen face photoshop! lol...
Old 11-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #84
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
i'm kinda curious as to where AMC falls into the censorship category though. are they allowed to do anything they want like HBO? very strict rules like a network? or somewhere in-between like FX? reason i'm curious is that i don't remember any curse words from the episode, but the gore content was as high as i've seen on a regular TV show
If you've watched Breaking Bad or Mad Men over the years, it would appear that they've recently loosened up on the language they'll allow, but only slightly.

This year on Mad Men, it became almost comical how during pretty much every episode someone would utter the "S" word, exactly once per episode. They'll still censor out anyone using the "F" word.

Nudity is still off limits. The closest they come is showing Bryan Cranston in his underwear on Breaking Bad.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #85
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only watched half the premier so far but loved it. I have read all the comics and they are staying pretty damn close and if that's the case then things are only going to get better. This show has so much potential and I'm stoked they didn't try to do a movie because the books were basically made to be a series.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #86
Aloof
Draft Pick

I thought there may have been recognition in Thoughtful Zombie's face or something. Anyway, I really enjoyed the first episode.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #87
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Only watched half the premier so far but loved it. I have read all the comics and they are staying pretty damn close and if that's the case then things are only going to get better. This show has so much potential and I'm stoked they didn't try to do a movie because the books were basically made to be a series.
Considering there are over 50 issues in the comic series it would be impossible to do a movie.

I haven't read them all, only the first ones but as you said this comic was made to be a tv series as the author puts it, "the walking dead wasn made to end, it just follows Rick suriving the zombie apocolypse."

From what I have read on the Internet the series has already been picked up for a second season which is apparently 13 episodes. The first is 6 by the way.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #88
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

Andrew Lincoln (Rick Grimes) and his horse Blade.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #89
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was a little reluctant to watch this originally, since the whole zombie thing isn't usually my jam. But wow, I loved episode one and can't wait for the rest of the series. AMC has been doing everything right lately with its original series' it seems.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #90
david_vish
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, but the horse scene was a little disturbing. To think he couldn't have just looked for an abandoned car. Never use a horse as transport in a zombie outbreak.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #91
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
If you've watched Breaking Bad or Mad Men over the years, it would appear that they've recently loosened up on the language they'll allow, but only slightly.

This year on Mad Men, it became almost comical how during pretty much every episode someone would utter the "S" word, exactly once per episode. They'll still censor out anyone using the "F" word.

Nudity is still off limits. The closest they come is showing Bryan Cranston in his underwear on Breaking Bad.
Not true. In Mad Men, when Peggy first met her photographer friend, they showed us some of her nude photos where a models tits were showing.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #92
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_vish View Post
Don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, but the horse scene was a little disturbing. To think he couldn't have just looked for an abandoned car. Never use a horse as transport in a zombie outbreak.
If he'd taken a car, he would have been killed. That the zombies went after the horse instead of him was what gave him enough time to get under the tank.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #93
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
If he'd taken a car, he would have been killed. That the zombies went after the horse instead of him was what gave him enough time to get under the tank.
i was secretly hoping that his horse would be attacked, but not ripped to shreds. zombie horse!
Old 11-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #94
david_vish
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
I'm sure he wasn't thinking that when he chose to ride the horse. (I'll feed him to the zombies to save time for my escape) Had he found a decent car, with a full gas tank, it would have been easier to get past them, or drive right through them.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #95
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

The good things about a horse are no gas and you don't need roads (what if a road is blocked and you end up getting your car stuck in a ditch, then you're walking).

I'm kind of hoping he gets the tank started and goes on an awesome zombie crushing spree.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #96
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Not true. In Mad Men, when Peggy first met her photographer friend, they showed us some of her nude photos where a models tits were showing.
Good point. I had forgotten that. So, they'll allow second-hand nudity (if that's the right word for it), but I still don't think they've ever shown one of the characters actually naked.

There was the one scene with Peggy and the new art guy working in the hotel where they get naked, and there was strategically positioned furniture blocking out the view of anything inappropriate.

http://www.amctv.com/videos/mad-men/...d=597182276001
Old 11-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #97
LGA
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_vish View Post
I'm sure he wasn't thinking that when he chose to ride the horse. (I'll feed him to the zombies to save time for my escape) Had he found a decent car, with a full gas tank, it would have been easier to get past them, or drive right through them.
I bet he figured with a Zombie Horse, he wouldn't have to feed it, and since the horse eats grass, wouldn't be a threat to him. So, he'd have a crazy zombie horse he wouldn't have to worry about ever.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #98
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDrunk View Post
Andrew Lincoln (Rick Grimes) and his horse Blade.

I am watching this other series called Strike Back it is a British series and it is really good.

Is that the same guy?
Old 11-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #99
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fan of zombie movies - both cheesey and otherwise although the cheesey funny ones like Shawn of the Dead are classic. This was a great first episode, can see lots of places where this can go.

I haven't read the comics so have no idea what is going to happen, but it almost looks like a Us against Them against Them coming up - Rick and whoever saves him from the tank and whatever rag tag band of misfits he can put together vs. his ex-partner and their camp vs. a country full of zombies. I can see the Rick`s team vs. Other Dude shaping up as him trying to off Rick, or at least not help him, so he can continue to bang Rick`s wife.

Great show - can`t wait for episode 2.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #100
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve been a big fan of Breaking Bad, Mad Men and Rubicon, so was really looking forward to this premier. Unfortunately, put me in the meh camp.

Probably going to come off as too picky, but there were more “stupid” moments in this one episode than in all of the episodes of the other 3 shows combined, including:

1. “Hey, little girl. . . .” - Bad start. They’ve been advertising this as a zombie show for months, so we weren’t going to be even mildly surprised that she was a zombie, and at that point in the timeline he’s well aware of the zombie situation, so he just looked stupid thinking this lone, shuffling, mottle skinned girl would be anything other than a zombie.

2. “Assume the fetal position” - He goes home and has a breakdown in his living room, but when he goes back later he shows that he rationally analysed the situation and concluded that his wife and son left alive?

3. “No questions asked. . . . “ - So he’s woken up in a desolate land filled with nothing but corpses and freaky hands barricaded in a room, comes across the first living people he’s seen anywhere. . . . and is cold and slightly belligerent? Even being tied up, there’s no way his reaction isn’t “WTF is going on?” and “Thank god I’m not alone!”

4. “Smell ya later. . . .” - So both cowboy rick and black daddy & son have come across some of the few non-zombies left, and yet they calmly part ways with barely a discussion? Not likely.

5. “I’ll just hit an ESSO” - He has to know how far it is to Atlanta, yet somehow takes a cruiser obviously nearly empty, and just wanders the countryside with a canister? Who doesn’t know to stock up on fuel?

6. “Looks like a good hiding place. . . .” - No, no one would crawl under a tank to get away from a zombie horde.

7. “Skipped their Wheaties. . . .” - So we’re to believe zombie-ism has swept the country in short order, and they can pull down a full grown horse, yet cowboy rick doesn’t get scratched despite being swarmed?

8. “It’s a bit out of the way. . . .” - Cowboy rick’s former partner, wife and son all make it out OK, and just leave him in the hospital?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
brains! , i ate your momma , zombies