Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #3181
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Or would you want the the municipal election to act as an effective referendum on the City's support for the arena?
Not necessarily a bad idea, as the general public won't get any other chance to have a say.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #3182
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
I know you're trying to be funny, but he is. There is an offer, and he has not responded to it at all.
Just how high should Nenshi be jumping at the request of the Flames? Have they given him a specific height he needs to reach or are we playing it by ear?

It's one of those 'I'll know he's being cooperative when I see it' type things?

Is there some jumping mechanism Nenshi can deploy to excise council from the decision making process? Is it just the mayor that needs to jump here or is it all of council?

I assume if you're at liberty to discuss the city's reaction to a proposal you're at liberty to discuss the actual proposal?
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #3183
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Just how high should Nenshi be jumping at the request of the Flames? Have they given him a specific height he needs to reach or are we playing it by ear?

It's one of those 'I'll know he's being cooperative when I see it' type things?

Is there some jumping mechanism Nenshi can deploy to excise council from the decision making process? Is it just the mayor that needs to jump here or is it all of council?

I assume if you're at liberty to discuss the city's reaction to a proposal you're at liberty to discuss the actual proposal?
All he has to do is respond. There is nothing about jumping. There is an offer - he can say yes or no, yet is choosing to do neither.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:03 AM   #3184
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Not necessarily a bad idea, as the general public won't get any other chance to have a say.
If I'm the CSEC I'd be wary of asking questions that I don't want to hear the answer to.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #3185
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All he has to do is respond. There is nothing about jumping. There is an offer - he can say yes or no, yet is choosing to do neither.
Right...and might that not be because its a huge issue right before an election?

Perhaps he feels that the people elected to be in charge for the next term (whether its him or not) should be the ones to determine that response as opposed to people who could be out on the street in a month's time?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #3186
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's not how things work, the Mayor isn't some kind of sovereign.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #3187
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
That's not how things work, the Mayor isn't some kind of sovereign.
But he'd make such a good one!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #3188
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure if you understand how our system works. The mayor doesn't have the power to say yes or no to something like that, which is presumably why he hasn't.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #3189
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hmm, maybe that's the communication issue right there.

The Flames don't understand how civic politics work?
Old 09-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #3190
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What is the offer?

The last reported news on the subject had it that the city was waiting for a response from the Flames.

You have some new information on the matter?
Old 09-11-2017, 11:18 AM   #3191
s_procee
Backup Goalie

Exp:

There are some new apartments in the Victoria park area going in right now, getting on that bandwagon.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #3192
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.nenshi.ca/district

These projects include:
Quote:
An expanded BMO Centre - Located at the Stampede Grounds, an expanded BMO Centre will draw larger trade shows and conventions to our downtown. We should move ahead quickly with the other orders of government on the expansion of Hall F and work with the Calgary Stampede to develop a funding plan for the rest of the proposed expansion.

A rebuilt Olympic Plaza - A modernized public space that is better designed to host our community’s festivals and events, both large and small.

A new arena - I support a new arena, and certainly there is enormous benefit in having a NHL team and an arena in the downtown core, but it has to be the right deal for Calgarians - a made-in-Calgary solution that meets our unique needs during this fragile economic recovery. Built north of the Saddledome, in the heart of Victoria Park, a new arena could host sporting events and concerts throughout the year. I believe that we can develop a win/win funding model that works for both the taxpayer and CSEC (the owners of the Flames). The funding model must be based on the principle of public benefit for public money. The City will never walk away from the table and I will work hard to reach the right deal.

The Green Line LRT Station at 4th Street SE - The Green Line will connect the cultural and entertainment district to the thousands of Calgarians who will live and work along our new LRT line.

An expanded Arts Commons - Calgary has outgrown its performing arts centre and it needs a significant expansion to bring more shows to our community and increase performance space for local arts organizations. This investment will also improve Arts Commons’ long-term financial sustainability. There may also be an opportunity for a revitalized Glenbow, which is located right next door.

An innovation centre - Local entrepreneurs and startups need space to incubate and grow their businesses. CMLC and a private sector partner have plans to build 55,000 square feet of incubation space on top of a new 500 stall parking structure in the East Village. The innovation centre, which will have strong links to the New Central Library and Bow Valley College, will support the development of new businesses and new jobs.

Public realm investment in key downtown neighbourhoods - Chinatown, Eau Claire, Stephen Avenue, East Village, Victoria Park and the Beltline are all great neighbourhoods and attractive destinations on their own but can be so much better. We need to support their success by continued investments in public spaces which will make for a more vibrant and attractive city centre.

Redevelopment of Victoria Park – A new collaborative approach for Victoria Park will be required between CMLC, the City, private landowners, Calgary Stampede and CSEC to make Victoria Park a great place to live and work.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #3193
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

is Nenshi positioning this entertainment district as his own idea? weird he put it on his personal website.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #3194
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just wish Nenshi would present something tangible as an alternative to Calgary Next.

His silence is deafening.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #3195
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Can't get behind this. Where is the slick presentation? Where is the CGI walk through of the arena? I need details and they must be a Star Wars quality video!

Now I see why Nenshi was so hyper critical of CalgaryNext. He had his own pet project that he wanted completed, and a new arena was part of that vision. That plan calls for a ton of public money, but very few details. This is actually worse than CalgaryNext in that regard. Some of those things are for some pretty low traffic interests. Will be interesting to see how that plays out in the long run.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #3196
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds pretty pricey in itself as that's a lot of new/renovated facilities in addition to a new arena. The innovation center sounds interesting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #3197
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The BMO Centre expansion was priced at half a billion. A new arena will be in that range too. The rest of the stuff is likely at least as much total. So, we're talking at least $1.5 billion, if not up to $2 billion for all that.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:37 PM   #3198
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least it's a 'bold' plan! I like it!
Old 09-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #3199
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
At least it's a 'bold' plan! I like it!
"Bold" is a Lowe-level away from "something special." Turn the ship starboard instead!
Old 09-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #3200
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
is Nenshi positioning this entertainment district as his own idea? weird he put it on his personal website.
In this case, "his own idea", is pretty much what is the most likely ultimate buildout of the area after a couple decades.

Obviously, the whole list is a much longer plan then the next 4 years. It also involves lots of funding outside of funding from the CoC.

It's not Nenshi's idea, but he probably has had some part of shaping that idea over his 7 years as mayor. It's a compilation of ideas from many different people/organizations.