Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 05:06 AM   #2921
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
A ticket tax is not HRR, though, while an increase in ticket price is.
So a portion of the funding needs to go to a ticket tax.
This can't be true, can it? Surely a "ticket tax" (which is nothing more than a ticket price increase with a fancy name) is captured as HRR by the collective agreement.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:49 AM   #2922
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
This can't be true, can it? Surely a "ticket tax" (which is nothing more than a ticket price increase with a fancy name) is captured as HRR by the collective agreement.
It is true. In the CBA section 50.1 (a)(i)(A) which defines HRR due to NHL Regular season & Playoff gate Receipts:

Quote:
: All revenues received by a Club or a Club Affiliated Entity derived from the sale of NHL Regular Season and Playoff tickets, including, without limitation: (1) season tickets, (2) single game tickets, and (3) group sales (all such revenues net of admission, GST and other provincial and state or local taxes, and any other charges imposed by government regulation). ...
As a ticket tax would be a charge imposed by government regulation, it would not be included as part of HRR.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #2923
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Yeah how terrible of a person to want to see some tax dollars go to something they'd actually use. What a rich a$$hole.
Oh, I didn't realize his taxes will be paying for the whole arena.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:07 AM   #2924
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
It is true. In the CBA section 50.1 (a)(i)(A) which defines HRR due to NHL Regular season & Playoff gate Receipts:

As a ticket tax would be a charge imposed by government regulation, it would not be included as part of HRR.
But would it actually be a charge imposed by the City? Is the City going to enact a by-law imposing this charge? If so, pursuant to what authority? Municipalities are created by statute and only have the authority granted to them by statute. They therefore have very limited authority to raise revenue in the form of taxes or fees and charges.

Just some questions that come to mind.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #2925
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I suppose a "ticket tax" could be a municipal fee or charge so long as the municipality retains ownership of the new building.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #2926
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not to rehash the Burke eruption, but this article does a pretty good job of showing what a uneducated blowhard he can be:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...427494533.html
Old 06-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #2927
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
But would it actually be a charge imposed by the City? Is the City going to enact a by-law imposing this charge? If so, pursuant to what authority? Municipalities are created by statute and only have the authority granted to them by statute. They therefore have very limited authority to raise revenue in the form of taxes or fees and charges.

Just some questions that come to mind.
Edmonton created a bylaw for their ticket tax:
https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/PDF/16481.pdf

Also can't imagine a scenario where the Flames wouldn't push for a ticket tax to be government regulation, otherwise they have to share 50% of it with the players without receiving any of it themselves.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #2928
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Not to rehash the Burke eruption, but this article does a pretty good job of showing what a uneducated blowhard he can be:

Geez what's the 'stupid' and 'dumb' counter on that article? Reads like it was written by Nenshi.

If you want to call him 'out of touch', fine. But I wouldn't consider a Harvard graduate 'uneducated'.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 09:45 AM   #2929
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:

Burke can be accused of a lot of things...uneducated is not one
The Following User Says Thank You to socalwingfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #2930
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Don't let the fact that everything he said was wrong and that he wasn't even educated on the state of negotiations between the company he works for and the city fool you.Burkies a Harvard man. Never question s Harvard man.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #2931
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
Geez what's the 'stupid' and 'dumb' counter on that article? Reads like it was written by Nenshi.

If you want to call him 'out of touch', fine. But I wouldn't consider a Harvard graduate 'uneducated'.
Burke is neither 'Uneducated' nor 'Stupid.'

He can be called a lot of things, but neither of those apply.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 12:01 PM   #2932
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like this one, sorry if it has been posted:
Quote:
A guy recently arrived from Toronto tells a room full of Calgarians how Edmonton does it much better, and then threatens to take away the local hockey team and relocate it to Quebec.
http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/col...ffensive-stats
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #2933
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwingfan View Post
Good to know. Next time I need health advice I will go see him. He's a Harvard man, and as such is educated enough to provide sound reasonable advice on everything!
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #2934
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwingfan View Post
true, but a Harvard educated man can still say stupid things.
burke proved it.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #2935
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I like this one, sorry if it has been posted:

http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/col...ffensive-stats
They missed the opportunity to call him a Harvard-educated American lawyer, recently arrived from Toronto etc.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #2936
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good to know. Next time I need health advice I will go see him. He's a Harvard man, and as such is educated enough to provide sound reasonable advice on everything!
Then perhaps their commentary on his abilities should be equally as specific.

The fact of the matter is that Burke has been an NHL Executive and more or less involved in Hockey since 1977.

Some reporter who wasnt even born at that time isnt really competent to comment on what Burke does and doesnt know.

Because one thing we've seen from Burke is that when hes acting the blowhard hes doing just that, acting. His words and actions always have purpose.

Hes the Lawyer in a Courtroom. Always.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-12-2017, 12:31 PM   #2937
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe it was a reverse Hockey Operations salvo launched at Ken King. " This is what happens when we stick our noses in each others business. You stay out of mine and I'll stay out of yours."
Old 06-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #2938
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Then perhaps their commentary on his abilities should be equally as specific.

The fact of the matter is that Burke has been an NHL Executive and more or less involved in Hockey since 1977.

Some reporter who wasnt even born at that time isnt really competent to comment on what Burke does and doesnt know.

Because one thing we've seen from Burke is that when hes acting the blowhard hes doing just that, acting. His words and actions always have purpose.

Hes the Lawyer in a Courtroom. Always.
I am not in the Burke's a dummy camp, but just because he's educated and likely quite smart, doesn't mean he's not a blowhard who loves the sound of his own voice. You are giving him a lot of credit here, and I don't really see the cunning mastermind that you do.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #2939
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Use a ticket tax all you want, just don't ask the city to bank roll it. There are capital markets out there for exactly this reason. It's absolutely not the city's responsibility to be taking on risk.
I disagree here, the city assuming risk without outlaying capital is a good opportunity to contribute to the project.

I know I would object more if the city directly subsidized a company to move their head office here than if they just underwrote the building lease. Neither are great but underwriting the ticket tax is in the realm of the types of contributions the city should be making.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #2940
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree - I don't have any problem with the city underwriting the ticket tax and borrowing the money themselves. It seems reasonable as they will get much better rates. Unless the city needs to borrow more money for other infrastructure costs in the foreseeable future, I don't see why the city shouldn't do that and save the Flames money.

The new arena is funny in a way. It is a private for-profit building, but it isn't like an office tower or a condo tower where the general public would never use it. The user fees attached would be quite high for basically everything, but it is available for the public at large. I see it as halfway between a library and an office tower.

Office tower - should be fully financed by the private company completely in every facet.
Library/athletic facility/etc - should be fully financed by the city - as the general public will have access to it for no user fees, or minimal user fees that aren't in place to create just profit.

I still feel the majority of the capital should be provided by the Flames' ownership group, but SOME money and some assistance by the city is ok with me. It gets tricky with the 'some' (how much dollars, how much land, how much infrastructure costs, etc), but helping to take out a loan in order to reduce the interest rate doesn't register on my radar as something that the city shouldn't be doing (once again, as long as the city isn't requiring to take out huge loans themselves for plans that they have themselves that could be adversely affected).
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread