Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2016, 09:34 PM   #81
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Official NHL expansion draft exempt list contains surprises:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/o...ins-surprises/

Quote:
Teams without any players that they’re required to protect: Calgary, San Jose, St. Louis, Washington.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:16 AM   #82
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I guess we will have to agree to disagree but I really don't see any situation where Vegas would take Stajan.
Vegas needs to draft 20 players under contract and have to commit 43.8 million between those 20 (or more) players. There are not going to be a bunch of high priced players available for them to draft either, so guys that are moderately overpaid like Stajan may be appealing as they are on short teerm contracts. Plus Stajan is great with young players and amazing in the community, for a team trying to connect with the community someone like Stajan could do more for the franchise off the ice than other guys can do on the ice.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:37 AM   #83
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Vegas needs to draft 20 players under contract and have to commit 43.8 million between those 20 (or more) players. There are not going to be a bunch of high priced players available for them to draft either, so guys that are moderately overpaid like Stajan may be appealing as they are on short teerm contracts. Plus Stajan is great with young players and amazing in the community, for a team trying to connect with the community someone like Stajan could do more for the franchise off the ice than other guys can do on the ice.
Not going to be bunch of high priced players available? How do you figure that?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 12:38 AM   #84
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Not going to be bunch of high priced players available? How do you figure that?
I'm guessing he meant not going to be a bunch of good or decent high priced players available.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 12:51 AM   #85
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Won't Vegas be extra inclined to use their cap space to go after some big fish UFAs?
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:08 AM   #86
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

From what I see VGK must add minimum in expansion draft, but they can negotiate and sign UFAs before the draft, and give up the right to draft from teams.

So MAF and Nash have to be protected, what big attractive contracts are available, and what unattractive last year big money contracts are available?

The reason I ask is that, if you can't draft a Nash and Fluery, and you need to fill 30m in payroll, I'm looking for ending contracts from teams with few assets (like the Flames).
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:23 AM   #87
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So FWIW, Button came up with the following. There are a few obvious issues, most notably MAF, but I think it does show what we all thought: Some decent goalies, some depth at D and a pu-pu platter of F.

Goalies:
M.A. Fleury
Lack
Korpisalo

Defence (not necessarily the pairings, just saving space):
Davidson/Brodin
Orlov/Petrovic
Sbisa/Klein
Forbort/Nesterov
C. Miller/Nemeth
Pulock/Schenn
T. Van Riemsdyk

Forwards:
Dzingel/Perrault/Silfverberg
Nieto/Jarnkrok/Read
Bouma/Grigerenko/Mantha
Smith-Pelley/Larson/Reaves
De La Rose/Rychel

While I think Button is likely wrong on a number of spots, I don't think it is out of the question that they pick Bouma, Stajan, or perhaps a F. Hamilton, depending on how the season goes.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #88
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Won't Vegas be extra inclined to use their cap space to go after some big fish UFAs?
Ya I'd take the best player at the best value in the draft and then over pay for a few short term UFAs.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:36 PM   #89
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Stajan is a very plausible choice for Vegas to take. They will need some veterans, and some salary. They will certainly be taking a couple Stajan-like players. Sure you could try to get some similar type players in free agency, but the other 30 teams in the league are going to be competing with you for the best ones. And they would rather have such a player without lots of money and term left on thier contract.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #90
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Should be noted that Jokipakka now has enough games played to satisfy the defence man exposure requirement.

All that the Flames need to do is sign him to a contract extension and they will meet all the exposure requirements required for the expansion draft

Edit: They also need Bouma to play 13 more games if he and Stakan are going to satisfy the forward requirements

Last edited by sureLoss; 11-24-2016 at 01:10 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #91
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is they could take Shinkaruk. He's got upside and doesn't need waivers next season. It gives them flexibility to keep him or stock their farm and ready for a call up.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #92
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

If you had to pick one, who would we rather have Vegas choose? Jokipakka or Kulak?

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:05 PM   #93
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Jokipakka, not close. I love him but I don't see a #4 d-man there and Kulak still hasn't shown that he won't be one.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:10 PM   #94
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
If you had to pick one, who would we rather have Vegas choose? Jokipakka or Kulak?
I'd rather Kulak. His game is more dynamic than Kevin. If they both hot their ceilings Kulak is the more valuable player.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #95
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
I'd rather Kulak. His game is more dynamic than Kevin. If they both hot their ceilings Kulak is the more valuable player.
So, you'd rather have Vegas pick Jokipakka then.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #96
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would much rather Vegas take Kevin.
I think it's pretty clear he's a #6.
Kulak has looked a little off the last few weeks, but I think there's a lot of potential there still.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #97
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I would much rather Vegas take Kevin.
I think it's pretty clear he's a #6.
Kulak has looked a little off the last few weeks, but I think there's a lot of potential there still.
This. I don't think Kevin will be anything more than a #6 guy. Kulak has top 4 upside.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #98
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the Flames can fleece somebody to take on a bad contract (of course the money has to work out as well) that need to be protected like from Chicago or Rangers they should make the trade and use the 7th forward spot for it.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #99
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stajan is gone for sure. Solid centre plays up and down the lineup and helps hit the cap floor.

How do the TSN guys think Flames can protect Kulak?
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #100
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought I'd bump this -- two months since the OP, with Sureloss providing the following update on Nov 21:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
TSN's projected protection list for the Flames. They believe the Flames are the 2nd best positioned Canadian team after Toronto. The only question for them is who the goalie the Flames will protect and for now they are putting in Elliott. They also said management may be exploring for ways to protect Kulak.

video for all the Canadian teams here:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/tsn-hock...pansion~999572

They project Winnipeg as the Canadian team potentially losing the most in the expansion draft.
As noted above, Jokipakka is now expansion eligible, and unless you think the can slide into the top 4 (I don't), it's unlikely that the Flames take any steps to keep him here as a 5/6 guy.

As for the forwards, I still think you protect Ferland over guys like Bouma and Stajan, but what about Chiasson, Versteeg (if he re-signs prior to the draft), or even Hathaway?

As for the goalies, there is already a thread for it but I expect Johnson gets re-signed soon, and Elliott either gets traded at the deadline or ends up as a UFA on July 1.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote