Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2016, 01:08 AM   #61
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The protected lists have always been public. There's no reason to think that would change now.
If the PA asked for it, there is a good possibility. That said, Rogers would love to run an expansion preview special I'm sure.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dying4acup For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 07:34 AM   #62
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the Flames exposed someone like Frolik in this process. A free agent signing with 3/5 of his contract done is essentially at the crossroads in his contract (first 60% benefits the Flames more than the last 40%).

Is he washed up? Of course not, but he makes good coin and should do less in years 4 and 5 then he's done in years 1-3.

He likely wouldn't get taken anyway, and the Flames could add their biggest worry between Poirier and Shinkaruk to the list.
I would be extremely surprised. They're much more likely to expose Poirer, Shinkaruk or Ferland
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:08 AM   #63
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the Flames exposed someone like Frolik in this process. A free agent signing with 3/5 of his contract done is essentially at the crossroads in his contract (first 60% benefits the Flames more than the last 40%).

Is he washed up? Of course not, but he makes good coin and should do less in years 4 and 5 then he's done in years 1-3.

He likely wouldn't get taken anyway, and the Flames could add their biggest worry between Poirier and Shinkaruk to the list.
Not that I disagree with you, but wouldn't Froliks contract only be 2/5 done?

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #64
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
The protected lists have always been public. There's no reason to think that would change now.
Have they? I honestly can't remember what happened 16(or so) years ago.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:38 PM   #65
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Have they? I honestly can't remember what happened 16(or so) years ago.
Yes, this is the protected list for the 2000 expansion draft: http://historicalhockey.blogspot.ca/...ion-draft.html

That site has the protections lists for all the other expansion drafts of the 1990s too.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:54 PM   #66
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

TSN's projected protection list for the Flames. They believe the Flames are the 2nd best positioned Canadian team after Toronto. The only question for them is who the goalie the Flames will protect and for now they are putting in Elliott. They also said management may be exploring for ways to protect Kulak.

video for all the Canadian teams here:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/tsn-hock...pansion~999572

They project Winnipeg as the Canadian team potentially losing the most in the expansion draft.

Last edited by sureLoss; 11-21-2016 at 05:00 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #67
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

If the worst case scenario is losing a player of Kulak's quality - this expansion draft couldn't come at a better time.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 05:20 PM   #68
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm starting to think that VGK might just take Stajan from us.
They need to get to the floor anyway, so salary isn't needed a big concern for them.
A veteran who is great in the room and doesn't hurt you on this ice could be pretty attractive to them, especially since we don't really have any stand out young players to pick anyway.
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Menace For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #69
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
I'm starting to think that VGK might just take Stajan from us.
They need to get to the floor anyway, so salary isn't needed a big concern for them.
A veteran who is great in the room and doesn't hurt you on this ice could be pretty attractive to them, especially since we don't really have any stand out young players to pick anyway.
Bouma would be a possibility too I think. If he stays healthy he's a great guy to lead by example and I think with his injury problems he'll be easy to re-sign.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #70
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Bouma would be a possibility too I think. If he stays healthy he's a great guy to lead by example and I think with his injury problems he'll be easy to re-sign.
I can't see the Knights taking either Bouma or Stajan. What's the point?

If I'm the Knights I'm targeting good free agents from other teams, good players from teams with great depth, and young guys with upside that might grow into something useful.

There is no chance I would target a depth forward with a bad contract and no upside. You can get as many of those as you need from the free agent pool.

I would think Vegas would take a guy like Kulak, Shinkaruk, or Poirer.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #71
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

They have to take some. They need to hit the floor - and they will have a minimum amount of cap hit that they have to hit via the expansion draft (can't just leave it all to free agency).
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #72
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
They have to take some. They need to hit the floor - and they will have a minimum amount of cap hit that they have to hit via the expansion draft (can't just leave it all to free agency).
If I were them I'd rather overpay for a good player that will help them become competitive. Maybe throw a big offer at TJ Oshie out of Washington.

Or offer Radulov $7-8 million over 2-3 seasons. If they sign another team's UFA it counts towards the expansion draft so they can cover the salary minimum that way.

Also teams like Columbus and Tampa stand to have to expose a good forward with a decent sized contract based on how their rosters look now.

I think there are a lot of different options for Vegas. Taking a guy like Stajan is basically a favour to the Flames, and doesn't really help Vegas so I don't see why they would consider that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 07:59 PM   #73
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
If I were them I'd rather overpay for a good player that will help them become competitive. Maybe throw a big offer at TJ Oshie out of Washington.

Or offer Radulov $7-8 million over 2-3 seasons. If they sign another team's UFA it counts towards the expansion draft so they can cover the salary minimum that way.

Also teams like Columbus and Tampa stand to have to expose a good forward with a decent sized contract based on how their rosters look now.

I think there are a lot of different options for Vegas. Taking a guy like Stajan is basically a favour to the Flames, and doesn't really help Vegas so I don't see why they would consider that.
Of course there are. And with each choice, it affects what they need from other choices. The Flames will have as little on the table for them as any team, so they will likely choose their Flame late in the game.

Stajan is no less plausible a choice, depending on their needs, than any of the other players they'll have to expose.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:00 PM   #74
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:

It really is a big puzzle for them. They have to figure out how to have a mix of veterans and young players, D and F and hit the floor
I don't think they pick Stajan, but I wouldn't rule it out.
Really given the overall poor quality the Flames will be exposing, it will come down to what they do with their other picks, and that what hole they need to fill with the Flames pick.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:10 PM   #75
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree but I really don't see any situation where Vegas would take Stajan.

There will be 5 guys just like Stajan waiting for contracts in August next offseason.

No upside.

If Vegas is picking a player for the sole purpose of having to take a certain amount of capspace via the expansion draft they'd be way better off taking a guy like Bolland.

They wouldn't actually have to pay him, he has an even bigger cap hit, there isn't much on Phoenix worth taking either, and they would have the flexibility to use his LTIR status if they need it for some crazy reason.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #76
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I guess we will have to agree to disagree but I really don't see any situation where Vegas would take Stajan.
At the risk of prolonging this Stajan debate, here are my two cents. Although it might not be Stajan specifically that they select I predict that they select 2 to 3 of those types of players. Veterans that have demonstrated leadership ability with a couple years left on their deals. Remember, this is Vegas! There is going to be a lot more potential distractions to a young hockey team there than you will encounter in most other markets.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:50 PM   #77
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm shocked if they pick Stajan but he would be an expiring contract, so there is that. But have to believe they're more interested in overpaying better players vs. 4th liners.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:59 PM   #78
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
TSN's projected protection list for the Flames. They believe the Flames are the 2nd best positioned Canadian team after Toronto. The only question for them is who the goalie the Flames will protect and for now they are putting in Elliott. They also said management may be exploring for ways to protect Kulak.

I'm not losing sleep over that list... other than Kulak, it's fine

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:00 PM   #79
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, this is the protected list for the 2000 expansion draft: http://historicalhockey.blogspot.ca/...ion-draft.html

That site has the protections lists for all the other expansion drafts of the 1990s too.
Good thing the Flames protected Andrei Nazarov and Bill Lindsay in 2000, and left Martin St.Louis available. Even better thing that nobody took him so the Flames could cut him loose that summer!

Beating a dead horse/hindsight is 20-20/water under the bridge/spilt milk bla bla bla I know, but still.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #80
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I'm shocked if they pick Stajan but he would be an expiring contract, so there is that. But have to believe they're more interested in overpaying better players vs. 4th liners.
You know what?? It's reasonable to think there's a better chance Stajan gets taken in the expansion draft because 1) he's got tons of experience, 2) he's playing much better hockey this year than he did at any point last year, and finally, 3) Vegas still has to get to the cap floor.

He won't do much of anything for a team offensively anymore but he's still more than capable of playing good defensive hockey more often than not.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote