Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2017, 08:56 AM   #221
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

2) if they need a player for their current roster, Bouma at $2.2M for another year probably makes more sense for them than Brouwer at $4.5M for 3 more years
I wonder if they take Stajan. they have to hit a salary floor, and I'm guessing they'd rather take one year from a higher salary guy with good character to make that floor in year one and then have it expire.

in that world Stajan > Bouma > Brouwer in terms of Vegas worth
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #222
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Do people really want us to sign a different (presumably expensive) goalie?
I would be happy if they re-signed Elliott, who seems to have re-gained his form and is likely to be just as good if not better than any of the available options.
Plus, his early season struggles will make his cap hit much more affordable.
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Menace For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2017, 08:59 AM   #223
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I wonder if they take Stajan. they have to hit a salary floor, and I'm guessing they'd rather take one year from a higher salary guy with good character to make that floor in year one and then have it expire.

I definitely think that is a possible option. Provides good leadership for a new team.
You could also say they'll need to hit the floor for years to come, so taking Brouwer would help accomplish that too.
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:03 AM   #224
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't dislike Brouwer but I think it is a no brainer to expose him in the expansion draft. If Vegas takes him I don't think it will be too hard to find another aging RW UFA. Protect the young guys first!
TheKurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheKurgan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #225
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, I agree and I was going to mention Stajan as well but I didn't want to complicate the post. But yes, Stajan at $3.15 for 1 year is probably more attractive to them than Brouwer at $4.5 for 3 years as well. Simply because of the flexibility, not because Brouwer is a bad player.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:06 AM   #226
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

...and if Vegas is on the fence about it, all it might take to get them to select Stajan or Bouma would be a draft pick or B prospect that they like.

It's what I think happens. Treliving trades them a little sweetener to get them to take Bouma or Stajan effectively protecting every other player in the organization, even the ones left off the 7-3-1 protection list.

Like I said before, then they can just go ahead and re-sign Stone too before he hits the open market.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #227
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Send Poirier to Vegas in order for them take Kulak, Shinkaruk, Bouma or Stajan. If they would take Bouma, itīd be ideal to have the extra 2.2 in cap space next year. Stajan still provides value
Old 03-03-2017, 09:14 AM   #228
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still like the idea that if they're on the fence to pick between Stajan, Bouma or Brouwer, we deal them Stajan and Bouma for a 4th for them to pick Brouwer! lol

The Flames won't be exposing anyone that really matters to the team moving forward. Most teams are going to lose a bottom pairing guy or a third line guy but some teams will lose a better player. The Flames are one of the lucky teams that really won't lose anyone of value and that's why I think LV signs Engelland ahead of time just so they don't have to pick anyone from the Flames lol.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #229
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't forget that Vegas is in the Division. They may not be looking to do their division rivals any favors.

That being said, I don't think any team is really going to lose a valuable piece. Unless they have a crazy amount of NMC.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #230
BruceCody
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Make some room for Jankowski/Klimchuk next year. So, i hope Treliving will send Troy Brouwer to LGBTLVGK.
BruceCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #231
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Don't forget that Vegas is in the Division. They may not be looking to do their division rivals any favors.

That being said, I don't think any team is really going to lose a valuable piece. Unless they have a crazy amount of NMC.
They are years from being competitive. The only thing that will matter to them is doing what's right for their own franchise.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:44 PM   #232
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceCody View Post
Make some room for Jankowski/Klimchuk next year. So, i hope Treliving will send Troy Brouwer to LGBTLVGK.
What the hell is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #233
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not only are the Flames positioned really well for the expansion draft, but they look really well positioned for building the roster for next season as well. Shouldn't have any problems building a competitive roster even with 2/3 of the 4th line making almost $5.5 million against the salary cap.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #234
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
They are years from being competitive. The only thing that will matter to them is doing what's right for their own franchise.
I disagree. If Vegas is to be successful they need to be competitive as soon as they can. I don't see how taking a 5th or 6th round pick and a far worse player than Brouwer from the flames helps them at all.

If I am Vegas I would take Brouwer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #235
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames trade one of our B prospects to LV for futures. LV takes Stajan in the draft, Lazar takes the 4th line centre position.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:09 PM   #236
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The notion that the Brouwer signing was a big mistake is a CP meme. I doubt it's shared in Flames' management. The guy is good for 33 to 43 pts a season, and brings other qualities to the table. Treliving knew what they were getting when they signed him. They might be a little disappointed in his productivity, but I really doubt they're kicking themselves over the deal.

Lazar is a reclamation project who cost a 2nd rounder. No doubt Treliving will try to find a way to protect him. But if they can't, and that's all the Flames lose in the expansion draft, they'll take their medicine and move on, like every other team in the league.
The counter argument is you can sign a Brower for Brower's contract every year in free agency. His skill set is not a rare commodity and he currently is not out performing his contract. For example we signed the better version in Frolik the year before. And not having looked at the UFA list for this year I am pretty certain you can find another one to sign.

That's not to say he doesn't add value its just that he is a classic free agent add, in that he has a cap hit that makes his trade value marginal. And if I was Vegas I would gladly take him to fit in as a veteran on my rebuilding team.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #237
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree. If Vegas is to be successful they need to be competitive as soon as they can. I don't see how taking a 5th or 6th round pick and a far worse player than Brouwer from the flames helps them at all.

If I am Vegas I would take Brouwer.
I think LV will push to sign UFA Derek Engelland in the early negotiation window, and will forego a Flames expansion draft selection. Engelland is a better player than anyone they could select from the Flames unprotected list, and they would likely be able to get him cheaper while they are the only team bidding for his contract. They will sign a handful of UFAs prior to the draft, and I would have to think that Engelland is high on that list.

Quote:
Old 03-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #238
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point if I am Vegas I will be taking either Brouwer or Lazar. Whoever is not protected (or stone if he is resigned for some silly reason).

The only way I wouldn't take one of those 2 is if I am offered something I deem could be better than that. Maybe a 2nd or 2nd + B prospect.

Calgary is a team Vegas is directly competing with in the division. It will be an overpay to get them to take a worse player.

If I am Calgary I leave Brouwer unprotected and let them take him without worrying about it.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:14 PM   #239
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think LV will push to sign UFA Derek Engelland in the early negotiation window, and will forego a Flames expansion draft selection. Engelland is a better player than anyone they could select from the Flames unprotected list, and they would likely be able to get him cheaper while they are the only team bidding for his contract. They will sign a handful of UFAs prior to the draft, and I would have to think that Engelland is high on that list.
If he wants to go there why not wait?

You could have Brouwer and Engelland. Maybe pay a little more for Engelland in free agency but if you are front runner anyway for him why does it matter?
Old 03-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #240
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
If he wants to go there why not wait?

You could have Brouwer and Engelland.
Because he will cost quite a bit more on 1 July when several more teams are bidding than he will on 19 June. They could end up selecting a lesser and more easily replaceable player than Engelland in the expansion draft, and then risk losing out on Engelland altogether.

I would have to think that the number of UFAs who will choose to sign in LV before the expansion draft is very small, and when bidding against other NHL teams in the UFA market they will likely have to overpay. Engelland is one of maybe three or four quality UFAs who would already have LV on his own short list. Moreover, I would also think that LV will look to maximize their flexibility by selecting players without term. Brouwer's three remaining years probably a sticking point.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 03-03-2017 at 03:28 PM.