Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #3441
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I don't know if you'll ever successfully explain it to someone that doesn't see it right away.
I love New York, if I could live anywhere it would be a toss up between NY and London...

It's not really something you can explain, either you get off the plane, feel it and love it or you don't.

The Following User Says Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 12:22 PM   #3442
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #3443
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgio View Post
i can't understand the new york appeal. The rangers are probably ranked below the yankees, jets, giants, nets and maybe even the mets too.

The city is a concrete jungle where dreams are made of. There's nothing you can't to now you're in New York. These streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you, at least 5 hours away from any nature like niagara falls. I believe the average tax rate is about 29%.

Someone know something about that city i don't?
ftfy

Last edited by DionTheDman; 05-01-2017 at 12:25 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 12:25 PM   #3444
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
1. Our centres were fairly healthy last year
2. Jankowski was a project pick. Best to let him continue to fill into his body and dominate at each level before moving up. It's called development, something the Oilers know very little about so I'm not surprised that you don't understand it.

Jankowski was drafted as a skinny, super skilled player out of high school. It's been a long road but he looks on track to be a top two line centre in the NHL within the next year or so
Yeah we will see. Expecting a jump from 1 NHL game played in 2016/17 to top two line NHL center within the year seems like wishful thinking to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 12:36 PM   #3445
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I can't understand the New York appeal. The Rangers are probably ranked below the Yankees, Jets, Giants, Nets and maybe even the Mets too.

The city is a concrete jungle, at least 5 hours away from any nature like Niagara Falls. I believe the average tax rate is about 29%.

Someone know something about that city I don't?
Yeah apparently you don't know much about why cities do or do not appeal to people
Old 05-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #3446
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Yeah we will see. Expecting a jump from 1 NHL game played in 2016/17 to top two line NHL center within the year seems like wishful thinking to me.
Lots of examples. Chris Drury, Steve Reinprecht, and although they don't play centre Kevin Hayes and Chris Kreisler are more.

But we know why you're arguing against it lol
Old 05-01-2017, 12:42 PM   #3447
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Lots of examples. Chris Drury, Steve Reinprecht, and although they don't play centre Kevin Hayes and Chris Kreisler are more.

I'm a flames fan and I think odds are fairly low as well. Mind you I don't see many ahl games. I know the kid has skill, but translating AHL success to NHL can be extremely difficult. Right now I'm just hoping Janko can handle 3rd line minutes. If he's going to producing as a second line centre within the next season that will be incredible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #3448
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing as how the Flames have been happy taking their time to this point, I wouldn't hate seeing Jankowski slotted on the left side of Backlund and Frolik for a while. Let him worry about playing centre later in the season.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 12:48 PM   #3449
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just for kicks, Janko's NHLe right now is 35 points in a full 82 game NHL season.

(His NHLe from last year in Hockey East projected to 32 NHL points in an 82 game season)

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 05-01-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:52 PM   #3450
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I'd be very impressed with a 40 point season out of Janko. 30+ points for a two way bottom six guy in his rookie season seems fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #3451
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Those guys all saw zero AHL games and jumped directly into the NHL with the exception of Krieder who played in the NHL playoffs first and then saw some time in the AHL.

They aren't really accurate comparables. I did a post on this before. Its hard to find college guys who had a good season in the AHL at the age of 22 and didn't see any real NHL time.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #3452
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Those guys all saw zero AHL games and jumped directly into the NHL with the exception of Krieder who played in the NHL playoffs first and then saw some time in the AHL.

They aren't really accurate comparables. I did a post on this before. Its hard to find college guys who had a good season in the AHL at the age of 22 and didn't see any real NHL time.
And that helps my argument lol. Those guys jumped from college to the NHL. Jankowski had a full extra year of development in the minors. Therefore he should be even more ready to contribute than they were. So to suggest he's less ready is a bizarre stance to take. I'd argue he's more highly touted than Drury or Reinprecht at the same stage in their development.

You know why it's hard to find examples like Janko? Because he's a unique prospect on his own unique development path. Guess how many guys drafted in the 1st round out of Canadian prep school, played 4 years in college and then a year in the minors are there? 1, Jankowski. Trying to use his unique development path as a reason why he's unlikely to step in is a pretty weak argument.

Closest comparables are really Wheeler and Colborne. But both were persuaded to leave college early. It didn't hurt Wheeler but arguably Colborne might've developed into something a lot better if he had cooked longer in college and the minors.

Let's not forget Jankowski actually went to college a year early. Originally he was going to go to the USHL for a year before going to college. He's actually a younger 4 year grad than most hockey players are. Many don't take this into account when hlooking at his development trajectory. If he had gone to the USHL he would have ripped it up. Then going into college a year later he would have been more of an impact player right away. If he had gone to the USHL first he would only have just graduated.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 05-01-2017 at 01:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 01:42 PM   #3453
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alex Killorn has always been the best comparable for Jankowski and every year the stats keep reinforcing that.

Killorn had the benefit of a the lockout in his 22 year season so he got to spend the first half in the AHL and then jump right into the NHL when the lockout ended. The lockout probably helped him because he was a guy who was playing competitively at the AHL level while the NHLers were slacking off, made sense for the Lightning to call him up for the rest of the season.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:47 PM   #3454
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Then you're uninformed about Jankowski sir. Follow the farm team and his progress.
Are you telling me to follow the farm team because that's the only place I'll see him as a top 2 line centre?

I should add, I actually like Jankowski and would rank him as our top prospect. I'm just hoping he can fill our 3C spot in the coming years.

Last edited by burnitdown; 05-01-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #3455
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And that helps my argument lol. Those guys jumped from college to the NHL. Jankowski had a full extra year of development in the minors. Therefore he should be even more ready to contribute than they were. So to suggest he's less ready is a bizarre stance to take. I'd argue he's more highly touted than Drury or Reinprecht at the same stage in their development.
Not really. A successful NHL season trumps a successful AHL season. I think nearly everyone would agree on that.

If Jankowski was ready to be an impact NHLer this past season and Treliving didn't use him that'd be gross incompetence and I don't think Treliving is incompetent.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #3456
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What would be the opinion on picking up Jordan Eberle for the #1 RW spot? Pretty one dimensional forward, but he is definitely a scorer, and could regain hitting 60+ being back on the first line with Monahan and Gaudreau.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #3457
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
What would be the opinion on picking up Jordan Eberle for the #1 RW spot? Pretty one dimensional forward, but he is definitely a scorer, and could regain hitting 60+ being back on the first line with Monahan and Gaudreau.
Hahaha...no

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #3458
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
Hahaha...no
If the Oiler's could somehow retain 6 million dollars of salary and gave up their first I might consider it.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:44 PM   #3459
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

In a vacuum, Eberle's not a bad fit but I don't want to risk trading with the Oilers.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #3460
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eberle's salary is not worth it.... and the Oilers would certainly ask for more to trade him to Calgary...

outside of that, i like the player; just think he's currently way overpaid
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread