Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2024, 07:22 PM   #41
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the woman is on her period she should choose man. If not, bear.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 07:28 PM   #42
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

The words fascinating and TikTok don't go together
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 07:33 PM   #43
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
The words fascinating and TikTok don't go together
They do, actually. You can write a sentence like, “there's a fascinating new tiktok trend going around,” and it works just fine. Technically/grammatically correct and everything.

Pretty cool. Happy to share more writing tips if you need.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 08:34 PM   #44
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

TikTok is a ####ing disease.

I feel bad for people who've reduced their downtime to f5ing cheap dopamine hits curated by the Chinese and can't stop because they've trained themselves into expecting that instant hit, and real life doesn't work that way.

It's even worse if it's filled with bad-vibe #### like this or dumb people rattling off about something.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 07:16 AM   #45
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

As with most things like this, it's something that initially brings up a point that has an element of truth and validity upon reflection. But once exposed and shared multiple times on social media becomes a vector to externally validate many people's misandry.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 07:45 AM   #46
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post

I feel bad for people who've reduced their downtime to f5ing cheap dopamine hits curated by the Chinese and can't stop because they've trained themselves into expecting that instant hit, and real life doesn't work that way.

It's even worse if it's filled with bad-vibe #### like this or dumb people rattling off about something.
I gave you a "thanks" for your dopamine hit.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 08:34 AM   #47
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Pandas aren't bears. But hell, if Panda was an option I'm taking that over trapped in the woods alone.
Yes, a panda is a true bear and is part of the Ursidae family, though it is a bit of an ecological oddball since it exclusively lives on bamboo.

https://www.idtdna.com/pages/communi...her-cute-bears
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:40 AM   #48
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

Meanwhile, some of the most toxic online communities as rated by the public or by their impact on radicalization are have been anonymous online forums like reddit and 4chan, types of social media platforms to which this forum is most similar. And Twitter, of course, which is another text-forward platform.

Obviously, TikTok (like all social media) has a lot to criticize and has likely fundamentally changed the way we consume things (in a lot of ways for the worse), but I think people should be at least semi-aware of the irony in complaining about a social media platform on another social media platform.

It’s not like we have a shortage of dopamine hunters or dumb people rattling off about things. You don’t have to look far to find someone obsessing about the “thanks” other posters get, or the constant trickle of misinformation, or people who cry “groupthink” or brag about the block button any time their position is questioned.

I agree with the premise of what you’re saying. I’m just not sure that you should feel that much worse for people on TikTok than you do for people here.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 09:20 AM   #49
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Pandas aren't bears. But hell, if Panda was an option I'm taking that over trapped in the woods alone.
You might be thinking of "Red Pandas", which are more like racoons. The Giant Panda, which is also called the Panda, is a bear although the most basal one.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 11:11 AM   #50
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I can't stand tiktok, don't have/never will have it and blame it for a lot of the disinformation out there. Are the Chinese spying on us? Probably. But it is extremely useful for learning English. Tons and tons of useful snippets for English learners. My wife and her friends follow a lot of accounts and she credits them for helping her improve their English skills.

As I write this I am sitting in my MIL'S kitchen in Poland, having a basic conversation with her in English for the first time ever and she learned 99% of it from tiktok.

Much of it is social media nonsense, but I can credit it for anyone who wants to improve learning another language. Might be the only silver lining on that app.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 11:19 AM   #51
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Meanwhile, some of the most toxic online communities as rated by the public or by their impact on radicalization are have been anonymous online forums like reddit and 4chan, types of social media platforms to which this forum is most similar. And Twitter, of course, which is another text-forward platform.

Obviously, TikTok (like all social media) has a lot to criticize and has likely fundamentally changed the way we consume things (in a lot of ways for the worse), but I think people should be at least semi-aware of the irony in complaining about a social media platform on another social media platform.

It’s not like we have a shortage of dopamine hunters or dumb people rattling off about things. You don’t have to look far to find someone obsessing about the “thanks” other posters get, or the constant trickle of misinformation, or people who cry “groupthink” or brag about the block button any time their position is questioned.

I agree with the premise of what you’re saying. I’m just not sure that you should feel that much worse for people on TikTok than you do for people here.
At least the most delusional thing posted regularly on this site is misguided beliefs that we ought to cheer for the Calgary Flames hockey club...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 11:27 AM   #52
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

some effort in this thread is weak

based on that I pick man

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 11:38 AM   #53
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yes, a panda is a true bear and is part of the Ursidae family, though it is a bit of an ecological oddball since it exclusively lives on bamboo.

https://www.idtdna.com/pages/communi...her-cute-bears
There was a long period of time where biologists weren't sure whether panda's should be classified as true bears, until they finally sequenced their genome and found that there is a link between pandas and other bear species. People who may not have kept up with breaking panda news stories in the past few years may have missed this.
Old 04-29-2024, 12:25 PM   #54
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Realistically what are the odds that this other person is going to be some kind of psychopath that is going to attack you? For a woman the risk is obviously much higher, as the far increased risk of sexual assault is there.

Meanwhile, the odds of a Grizzly being capable of killing you are 100%.

I guess it depends on how big of an area you're in. If you are in a big enough area to avoid the Grizzly or the area has enough food that the Grizzly won't bother with you, that's preferable. However, if the situation gives the Grizzly any reason to attack, it's not going to end well. Grizzly induced deaths are not especially quick either. They are known to just horribly maul people and leave them suffering or eat from the legs up.
Old 04-29-2024, 12:26 PM   #55
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
There was a long period of time where biologists weren't sure whether panda's should be classified as true bears, until they finally sequenced their genome and found that there is a link between pandas and other bear species. People who may not have kept up with breaking panda news stories in the past few years may have missed this.
Quote:
For many decades, the precise taxonomic classification of the giant panda was under debate because it shares characteristics with both bears and raccoons.[3] In 1985, molecular studies indicate the giant panda is a true bear, part of the family Ursidae.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_panda

I presume most posters here have refreshed their info since 1985.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:40 PM   #56
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

If I was trapped in the woods with a bear I'd want another man with me. Reason being is the bear might get hungry and decide to attack and kill us. In that case I would only have to outrun the other guy to make my escape
Old 04-29-2024, 03:00 PM   #57
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Realistically what are the odds that this other person is going to be some kind of psychopath that is going to attack you? For a woman the risk is obviously much higher, as the far increased risk of sexual assault is there.

Meanwhile, the odds of a Grizzly being capable of killing you are 100%.

I guess it depends on how big of an area you're in. If you are in a big enough area to avoid the Grizzly or the area has enough food that the Grizzly won't bother with you, that's preferable. However, if the situation gives the Grizzly any reason to attack, it's not going to end well. Grizzly induced deaths are not especially quick either. They are known to just horribly maul people and leave them suffering or eat from the legs up.
That’s completely missing the point of this thought experiment. Fact of the matter is that many (most?) Women are answering that they’d rather be trapped in the woods with a bear because they view men as so dangerous.

The fact that women even need to think about the answer to this question tells you everything you need to know about men and the danger that they represent to women.

One clever comment from a woman I saw said “at least if I get attacked by a bear people will believe me”.

That being said I’m not saying it’s a good thought experiment. It is kind of stupid because there are way too many variables to consider to give a truthful answer. But I don’t know that this is necessarily the time to be pedantic.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 03:08 PM   #58
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
I gave you a "thanks" for your dopamine hit.
The dopamine hits from CP are much better for our health.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:14 PM   #59
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
That’s completely missing the point of this thought experiment. Fact of the matter is that many (most?) Women are answering that they’d rather be trapped in the woods with a bear because they view men as so dangerous.

The fact that women even need to think about the answer to this question tells you everything you need to know about men and the danger that they represent to women.

One clever comment from a woman I saw said “at least if I get attacked by a bear people will believe me”.

That being said I’m not saying it’s a good thought experiment. It is kind of stupid because there are way too many variables to consider to give a truthful answer. But I don’t know that this is necessarily the time to be pedantic.
She said, he s̶a̶i̶d̶ growled.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:14 PM   #60
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

I think the phrasing of the question is soliciting negative answers.

Trapped does a lot of work here. If you are trapped with someone I think in the implications of this question you are trapped by the man or trapped by the bear. A bear can trap you without intent by just being a bear. A man who traps you has nefarious intent.

If you rephrased the question would you rather be lost in the forest with a man or a bear I think it would trigger a less negative response.

If I asked “are you in a dangerous situation if you are trapped in a car?” I think answer is yes. The word trapped means the situation is dangerous.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote