Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Flames sell Adirondack Thunder to private group

http://poststar.com/news/local/civic...c44bc8010.html

Quote:
The Adirondack Civic Center Coalition has a plan to purchase the Adirondack Thunder, to make sure the team stays in Glens Falls.

The Coalition announced its deal with the Calgary Flames, who currently own the team, at a Tuesday morning news conference, scheduled at the same time as the team's game in Brampton, Ontario.

The ECHL Board of Governors approved the deal earlier this month.
Called it when they didn't use a flames theme for the team.

They bought the team for the arena lease in Stockton.

Diana C. Nearhos @dianacnearhos
There are conversations about a continuing Calgary affiliation, but it is not decided yet.

Diana C. Nearhos‏ @dianacnearhos
Even if Calgary does not continue its affiliation, I doubt there would be any issue getting another AHL affiliate, given its location.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

News reporter in Albany:

Jon Dougherty
@JonDTWCNews
Despite sale and promise, @ECHLThunder affiliation w Calgary Flames ends this year. Negotiations continue.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hopefully they can negotiate a deal. I think it's nice having an ECHL team associated with the Flames. But it looks like Adirondack wants to go back to the AHL
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
Blarg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Las Vegas AHL affiliate?
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarg View Post
Las Vegas AHL affiliate?
Two expansion teams next season in the ECHL currently without announced affiliations in Jacksonville and Worcester.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:53 PM   #6
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
Hopefully they can negotiate a deal. I think it's nice having an ECHL team associated with the Flames. But it looks like Adirondack wants to go back to the AHL
I'd prefer Idaho or Salt Lake City
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:07 PM   #7
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought their philosophy was to own an ECHL team in order to be in control of developing players that are sent down with their own coaches and management. I guess that's out the window now.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #8
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I thought their philosophy was to own an ECHL team in order to be in control of developing players that are sent down with their own coaches and management. I guess that's out the window now.
That philosphy never made any sense.

It costs $2.7 million / year to operate the Thunder. The only Flames prospects full time down there this year are McDonald, Pollock, and Falkovsky. So much better use for that money from a business standpoint and a player development standpoint.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #9
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

With his services no longer needed in Adirondack, Brian Petrovek moves to Stockton:

Stockton Heat @AHLHeat
The Stockton Heat are proud to announce the newest addition to our front office staff - Brian Petrovek as CEO!
Old 03-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #10
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
That philosphy never made any sense.

It costs $2.7 million / year to operate the Thunder. The only Flames prospects full time down there this year are McDonald, Pollock, and Falkovsky. So much better use for that money from a business standpoint and a player development standpoint.
I don't think operating costs equal a loss, paid attendance and other revenue would subtract from that, no.

The number of players sent there could also be expanded. The Heat have 9 defencemen, 16 forwards and 3 goalies, leaving no room to call up anyone from the Thunder.

Quote:
Under the current model, the Thunder have $2.7 million in operating costs. Self-sufficiency remains the goal and merging operation of the team and building will help lower the combined costs. So this campaign should not be a one-time thing.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #11
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I don't think operating costs equal a loss, paid attendance and other revenue would subtract from that, no.
Yes, but you still need in invest operatingg capital into the team with it losing money every year. Based on Adirondack's attendance numbers last year, I estimate at best half the operating cost is being covered.

I think there is a very good reason that the richest teams in the NHL (e.g. Toronto, NY Rangers, Detroit) don't own their ECHL affiliates, even if in the grand scheme of their hockey operations budget it is a drop in the bucket. They feel they are better off spending the money elsewhere

Before this season only 3 NHL teams owned ECHL teams. LA, Calgary, and Edmonton. Calgary and Edmonton needed the teams for the leases to move their AHL teams to California. LA's ownership is in the business of owning and managing arenas and can justify the cost of running the team.

Quote:
The number of players sent there could also be expanded. The Heat have 9 defencemen, 16 forwards and 3 goalies, leaving no room to call up anyone from the Thunder.
It isn't as easy as you suggest. The ECHL has a salary cap of ~$12 600 per week per team. While NHL/AHL players assigned there cost $525 per week towards the cap regardless of their actual salaries, good ECHL players with experience can cost as much $1000 per week towards the cap. There is no way to know what the Adirondack cap situation as ECHL salary information isn't public.

The ECHL also has a hard roster limit of 20 players (18 skaters + 2 goalies) plus an additional 2 players that can be put on reserve. If you constantly release players so you can fit a prospect on the roster as he goes up and down, ECHL players will prefer to sign with other teams.

You might say screw those ECHL players, we have prospects to develop! That might be a fair point. But you also have to balance icing a competitive team that can draw fans and win.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: