Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2016, 02:42 PM   #81
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was kind of surprised that they didn't cast Carrie Fisher's daughter to play Princess Leia in a brief cameo. With the right die job and makeup she probably could have pulled it off

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #82
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just saw it a 2nd time, and damn - I felt even more love for the characters.

Recasting someone for a one-off scene would have just left some people questioning "...is that supposed to be Leia?". That would've been stupid in my eyes. I quite liked Leia's line about hope. After a distinctly dark film, it helps blend the movie over to A New Hope's more...hopeful tone.

No one I've watched the movie with has noted the CGI faces as an issue at all, and actually liked them. They felt they helped attach it to the original trilogy in a meaningful way, and I agree.

After the 2nd viewing, I have a lot more appreciation for the score as well. Giacchino doesn't score the way Williams does, nor does he attempt to. It's uniquely Rogue One, and far more subtle/bleak than Williams' work.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #83
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I wonder if those of us who had issues Leia's face were just watching in 3D. Because that was pretty unsettling.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:13 PM   #84
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched in 3d and wasn't bothered by them at all. Of course, by the time it got to Leia it was 3:45 in the morning, so maybe that had something to do with it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 05:25 PM   #85
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched in 3D and wasn't bothered by the CGI at all.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #86
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I saw it in 2D. I obviously noticed that it was CGI, and it was a bit distracting for a minute or so, and then I just went with it. I think it was the right call as these 2 characters have prominent roles in a movie that takes place a few minutes after this one ends. Recasting would have been even more distracting than the CGI.
Roast Beef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:43 PM   #87
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw it in 3d and CGI tarkin didn't look obviously CGI at all to the point I was wondering where they found someone looking so much like him. Leia looked pretty obvious but I was ok with it.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 07:46 PM   #88
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw it and wasn't bothered by the cg. I really liked the movie compared to TFA. It was refreshing to have an original story and was definitely darker than TFA.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:08 PM   #89
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of you have unrealistically high standards. I thought CGI Tarkin and Leia looked fantastic. Yeah you could tell it was CGI, but it wasn't that bad.

Having said that, the movie overall was pretty meh. Felt no emotional connections to any of the characters and aside from Jyn I don't remember any of their names. The character development could have been better. I found it kind of tough to determine who everyone was working with at the beginning. It all made sense at the end so I'd like to watch it again having a clearer understanding of who everyone is. Also the love story that was non-existent throughout the movie but somehow developed at the very end seemed a bit weird.

Darth Vader was underwhelming. His costume looked cheap, the voice sounded either really good or really bad. The actor in the suit didn't capture his maneurisms very well at all. The way he moved didn't feel authentic. The shot of him without his suit on was pretty cool and the lightsaber scene at the end was kind of fun I guess. I'm a huge Vader fan though so I may just be nitpicking.

Overall 7/10. Sill enjoyed it but if I had lived my life without ever seeing it I wouldn't be upset. I don't get how anyone can think it's better than episode VII but to each their own I guess. Fun enough movie for a one-off but certainly didn't blow me away.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 11:58 PM   #90
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Also the love story that was non-existent throughout the movie but somehow developed at the very end seemed a bit weird.

Darth Vader was underwhelming. His costume looked cheap, the voice sounded either really good or really bad. The actor in the suit didn't capture his maneurisms very well at all. The way he moved didn't feel authentic. The shot of him without his suit on was pretty cool and the lightsaber scene at the end was kind of fun I guess. I'm a huge Vader fan though so I may just be nitpicking.
To call it a love story is more than a bit presumptuous. They held hands...after being through hell together. They held each other as they friggin' died.

His costume was done to match 1977's A New Hope's Vader costume...so I suppose it does look "cheap" by modern standards. I loved that last scene. Vader shredding the rebel alliance soldiers was absolutely ruthless.

Last edited by ComixZone; 12-18-2016 at 01:53 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 01:43 AM   #91
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Some of you have unrealistically high standards. I thought CGI Tarkin and Leia looked fantastic. Yeah you could tell it was CGI, but it wasn't that bad.

Having said that, the movie overall was pretty meh. Felt no emotional connections to any of the characters and aside from Jyn I don't remember any of their names. The character development could have been better. I found it kind of tough to determine who everyone was working with at the beginning. It all made sense at the end so I'd like to watch it again having a clearer understanding of who everyone is. Also the love story that was non-existent throughout the movie but somehow developed at the very end seemed a bit weird.

Overall 7/10. Sill enjoyed it but if I had lived my life without ever seeing it I wouldn't be upset. I don't get how anyone can think it's better than episode VII but to each their own I guess. Fun enough movie for a one-off but certainly didn't blow me away.
Great post; you've basically echo'd my thoughts 100%.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:34 AM   #92
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think that is my favourite Star Wars movie. I am a bit biased as I play Imperial Assault, the miniatures tactics game, that is basically just Rogue One on a table top. But wow, what a great job. All the nods back to the OT, how they made this fit in without ramming it down our throats, so well done. As the director said in an interview, you need to pay homage to what has come before you.. but if you aren't pushing things forward then you are performing a disservice to the originals.

I thought the CGI on Tarkin was incredible, they just nailed his cold calculating expressionless face. His exchanges with the much more dramatic Krennic were just awesome, we get a lot of this kind of stuff in Rebels and I was happy to see them explore that on the big screen. Vader was limited but incredibly powerful in his scenes, they nailed it. Not to much, not to little, they Goldy Loxed it. His scene in that hallway, omg... so SO good. Words can't describe how well done that was. Nice iconic pose at the end as the ship flys away as well, good nod to the comics.

Could go on forever but I felt it was a 9.9/10. The only thing I detract on it was that the chemistry between Cassian and Erso was a bit wooden I felt at times, it got better as the movie went on though. I also felt like his change of heart was pretty sudden, as well as all these other countless Rebels. But at the same time it was nice to see that the Rebellion wasn't really playing fair either. They knew that they had to cheat to beat the Empire and couldn't follow a strict code of honor. Anyway, I had to nit pick to find something I didn't like. Overall great movie, very entertaining, I felt like it just flew by, well, well done.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #93
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

I thought it was great. Not sure where I rank it yet, but I look at at Star Wars as a whole anyway so who cares where it ranks.

My biggest smile came from finally seeing "Vader's Castle" and the fact they put it on Mustafar makes sense as he can reflect on the planet where he lost everything. Lot's of fan service in this movie.

Last edited by underGRADFlame; 12-18-2016 at 02:53 PM.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #94
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So -- how does the Star Destroyer catch the Rebel Ship and get it to drop out of hyper space at the start of episode IV? It's pretty well established in both A New Hope and Empire that once a ship goes to hyper space, it's gone. And that was with Vader on the Star Destroyer bridge watching the Falcon fly away. Here, he still would've had to get back to his Star Destroyer before they even left. Hmm.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #95
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the lightspeed jump bugs me. In a pretty minor way, but it's there.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #96
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
So -- how does the Star Destroyer catch the Rebel Ship and get it to drop out of hyper space at the start of episode IV? It's pretty well established in both A New Hope and Empire that once a ship goes to hyper space, it's gone. And that was with Vader on the Star Destroyer bridge watching the Falcon fly away. Here, he still would've had to get back to his Star Destroyer before they even left. Hmm.
Experimental Interdictor?
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #97
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can we all agree that AT-ATs are hilariously idiotic war machines?
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #98
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
If you truly nerd out and look, the Imperial Star Destroyer is faster in hyperspace and in subspace then a Corellian Blockade runner.

If you remember in Empire Strikes back when the Falcon fake jumped to light speed, the officers were told to calculate all possible destinations so they can figure out where a ship is possibly going because light speed tracks in a GFFA are like tunnels there are only so many rifts.

so it doesn't take too much of an imagination for the Imperials to calculate possible destinations and say, hey Tatooine is on that track and its the most likely and then use their superior hyperspace speed to catch up.

That's the nerd explanation anyways.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 01:41 PM   #99
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

one thing that surprised me was some of the lack of trailer footage in the film

i guess with the re-shoots/re-writes that it makes sense, but i was sooooo looking forward to the scene from the trailer when the tie fighter pops up in front of Jyn.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #100
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

yea I don't have too much trouble believing that Vader would catch up to Leia as they arrive at Tatooine. what doesn't make any sense is her excuse after being captured that she's a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan. that's actually not Rogue One's fault, because their narrow escape from Planet Beach Vacation is a natural precursor to their fight over Tatooine. I think she was just a really terrible liar at the beginning of ANH.

for my eyes, Tarkin and Leia were janky looking, but a few of the original ANH rebel pilots make a really seamless appearance, which was great (including the dude who screws up the first trench run). Now I'm really curious what was in the original cut vs what was a reshoot. while I get that most people loved watching Vader get his hands dirty in ways he never bothered to do in the original trilogy, to me it felt a little pandering...I was really happy with the jedi-less movie up to that point, but it was like Hollywood telling me that my dumb monkey brain can't accept a Star Wars film without blaster deflections and telekinesis.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote