Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2017, 10:52 PM   #341
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
they even edited it to make it look worse (not saying it wasn't incredibly stupid)
Curious how you think they edited to look worse? Tribal councils last over an hour IRL. I'm sure they left plenty of juicy outrage on the cutting room floor.

In no way defending Varner, but I do feel for him with respect to the process for this all playing out. Imagine doing the worst thing of your life...on national television - but, that's not the unique part - plenty of people have done that, suffered through their mistake, and been able to more/less move on. But, imagine knowing how badly you effed up, but that only ~20 people know about it so far, and that 3-4 months down the road it's going to come out to EVERYBODY. Talk about a doomsday countdown clock hanging over a guy's head!

I sense he is actually probably a good person at heart, so those months were probably as painful as could be (compared to for an emotionless sociopath). His suffering is probably just considering that's about as bad of a non-physical thing you could do to another human, but it's just gotta suck overall.

Obviously, Zeke would have had the same countdown clock playing over him, too. What an incredible person.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:48 AM   #342
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
they even edited it to make it look worse (not saying it wasn't incredibly stupid).
Yeah I'm with powderjunkie, that was edited about as well as one could hope for, from Varner's perspective. If the intent was to throw him under the bus as much as possible, they would have cut out his profuse apologies and made it seem more like he had no remorse.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:18 AM   #343
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched it...wow.

I think what Varner was going for, is that on some seasons a guy will hide being a cop or football player or something, and outing those people for lying can be a good strategy. He honestly thought, at that point, that was what he was doing. But obviously outing a transgender person is a whole different thing, and he had assumed outside the show everyone knew because it is such a long process. Even if that was the case, it doesn't mean that everyone in Zeke's future would know and that is what he obviously missed.

Bad on Varner for doing that, no excuse. But anyone putting any critical thought into this should feel bad for him, and not be malicious about it. It is gong to be harder on him than Zeke.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #344
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only explanation I've come across that makes any sense is that Varner assumed Zeke was out in his first season (current season was filmed before previous season aired) - so he thought that was the reason he was a 'game-changer'. One hell of an assumption to make, and he obviously made an ass of himself.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #345
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Varner has been fired from his day job as a result of the show.

How did he know...he says he basically knew form the moment he saw him. I'm guessing there is also some telltale scarring that confirmed his suspicions or that Zeke even confirmed those suspicions to him during a conversation.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #346
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Wow really, he got fired? What was his day job, working at the feelings factory?

Don't get me wrong, the guy screwed up, but when are we going to learn that bullying someone that did something wrong is still bullying. The guy apologized, he obviously feels huge remorse, what more do they want?
Old 04-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #347
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Wow really, he got fired? What was his day job, working at the feelings factory?

Don't get me wrong, the guy screwed up, but when are we going to learn that bullying someone that did something wrong is still bullying. The guy apologized, he obviously feels huge remorse, what more do they want?
Allen Tate Real Estate.

And really he was hired two weeks prior to the episode airing and they decided to terminate based on the core values of their company. They likely made a hasty decision but dismissla is fair game.

People in certain positions are expected to never cast a bad light on the business. If you do you can be dismissed. Same thing in my company for anyone in management.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #348
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Real estate is a tough business to have this kind of fall on your face moment on national TV.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #349
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple pretty good episodes tonight... that I am sure non of you have watched yet haha.

Can't believe they pulled the trigger on ozzy!

Hali was kind of a dud.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:31 PM   #350
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So Debbie didn't even need to use the extra vote? What an idiot.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #351
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

If Ceri would have voted for Zeke then the extra vote was necessary, not sure why she did the Sierra vote unless she wanted Ozzy to go home?

I really liked the game Ozzy was playing this time around, I thought he had a legit shot at winning. But again he is just way to big of a threat, he lost some of my respect and admiration with his "Good luck eating" "I'm taking my ball and going home" comment at the end.

Double episode on account of the boring Hali vote out, if I was being prosecuted by her I would just admit guilt to get her to shut up, her voice is so annoying.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #352
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

In a season called 'Game Changers' I didn't see the point of having Hali on. She did nothing, and really wasn't an asset to the show.

Ozzy was a victim of his own success. Too good in prior seasons, there's no way you could let him rack up individual immunities.

I liked Zeke's game until last night, now he has his fingers in too many cookie jars, I think he's in trouble.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #353
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a very fine line between playing hard and playing to hard. Zeke and Cerie are toying with that line. Brad looks to have a good game going, as he is well liked and low key. It will be interesting to see who the final 3 are, if it is the hardest players, or if some of the others catch on and vote them out. Tai could go far with 2 idols.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #354
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Zeke made very bad plays.

He was gifted a ton of goodwill on account of Varner being an idiot... and he just pissed it all (and then some) away.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #355
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Zeke got restless again. Had he had the opportunity to watch his own season, I doubt he would have made this mistake.

This huge tribe merge is a mess for TV. No clue what was going on with the Hali vote.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:07 PM   #356
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Well that episode entirety stunk from my perspective

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #357
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
In a season called 'Game Changers' I didn't see the point of having Hali on. She did nothing, and really wasn't an asset to the show.

Ozzy was a victim of his own success. Too good in prior seasons, there's no way you could let him rack up individual immunities.

I liked Zeke's game until last night, now he has his fingers in too many cookie jars, I think he's in trouble.
Probst reasoning was that she was a different kind of thinker and they want different personalities, which seems like a cop out. I wonder if someone else dropped out late and she was available.

Even someone like Sara who didn't make a huge dent in her first season, you could at least see potential
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:22 PM   #358
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other thing with Zeke too, and it's by no fault of his own, but if he makes it to the end

Which looks more unlikely after last night

He has a killer argument to make, so even though he torpedoed himself last night, I think he would never come up sooner or later

He already made last night's mistake before the Varner vote too, he got caught trying to save Ozzy and be with the girls. Too bad he didn't recognize it and go on to make the same mistake 6 days later
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:15 PM   #359
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

I feel like she got bad edits both times.

No way they think she has an idol otherwise?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #360
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Varner outing of Zeke may have affected Zeke more than what he is showing on the outside. He had a rough handful of days which it think was unexpected...or at least the magnitude of the scrambling.

While Debbie didn't need to use that extra vote, it's interesting to see her actually come to play this time. Her talk with Cochrane I think helped her focus on the actual game. She's still nuts but more focused nuts at this point.

Last edited by ernie; 04-21-2017 at 11:05 AM.