Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #181
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't really paid attention to anime in a while, but are there any cursory suggestions if I enjoyed anime like Gantz, Evangelion or Ghost in the Shell?

It doesn't have to be futuristic mecha either. I quite enjoyed Attack on Titan as per a suggestion from a friend.

Lastly, any random sports or racing anime worth watching? I've seen most of them but the ones that really stuck out were Basquash and Capeta back in the day. I've also watched ES21, Initial D, Overdrive and those ones as well.

(Yes, I know I can go to somewhere like Bakabt and ask... but I'd rather not go deep into that culture again. Hence, cursory question. lol)
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #182
LGA
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I haven't really paid attention to anime in a while, but are there any cursory suggestions if I enjoyed anime like Gantz, Evangelion or Ghost in the Shell?

It doesn't have to be futuristic mecha either. I quite enjoyed Attack on Titan as per a suggestion from a friend.

Lastly, any random sports or racing anime worth watching? I've seen most of them but the ones that really stuck out were Basquash and Capeta back in the day. I've also watched ES21, Initial D, Overdrive and those ones as well.

(Yes, I know I can go to somewhere like Bakabt and ask... but I'd rather not go deep into that culture again. Hence, cursory question. lol)
For racing anime I recommend Redline, it's an OVA but it's very well animated. For sports anime, Kuroko no Basuke I found really fun and enjoyable (it's a basketball anime), Hajime no Ippo is quite good (boxing) and I've recently begun watching Haiykuu (volleyball) which has been alright so far.
LGA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LGA For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #183
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
So I realize that Bleach is ancient but does it get better or does it stay at this same level of ridiculous cheese?
It....sorta gets worse... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
I'm very hesitant of anime over 100 episodes which is why I haven't fully checked out Naruto, Bleach or One Piece. Inuyasha was a damn chore to get through.
The Inuyasha anime had an awful ending. Maybe one of the worst anime endings of all time, which is saying a lot heh.

Naruto has it's ups and down. I never did finish Shippuden, but I hear it finished quite strong.

I love One Piece. Even a lot of the fillers were decent, save one or two arcs. But the main story is great.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #184
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Shippuden isn't even finished yet lol. It's in filler mode.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:59 AM   #185
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
The Inuyasha anime had an awful ending. Maybe one of the worst anime endings of all time, which is saying a lot heh
Well they properly ended it with Inuyasha The Final Act if you haven't seen it yet. It's only 27 episodes.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #186
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Shippuden isn't even finished yet lol. It's in filler mode.
Oh yeah. I get confused about Naruto. I think the Manga ended, right? And then the video game also did the ending. I think that's what I saw. I get my Naruto information from a coworker and I confuse things sometimes haha
Old 08-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #187
photon

Exp:

Yeah the manga ended and I guess the video game. There's even been a Naruto movie that happens after but they still haven't finished the anime. They're being super annoying about it too, usually it's either story or filler, but they're doing like half a show of story mixed in with filler, then 3 episodes of filler, then 5 minutes of story, then a whole episode of story, then 6 fillers... brutal, don't even know which ones to skip anymore, I never really cared but I always have to see the end even if it's bad so I'm trapped. I guess I could just read the rest of it in the manga.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:30 PM   #188
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah the manga ended and I guess the video game. There's even been a Naruto movie that happens after but they still haven't finished the anime. They're being super annoying about it too, usually it's either story or filler, but they're doing like half a show of story mixed in with filler, then 3 episodes of filler, then 5 minutes of story, then a whole episode of story, then 6 fillers... brutal, don't even know which ones to skip anymore, I never really cared but I always have to see the end even if it's bad so I'm trapped. I guess I could just read the rest of it in the manga.
I stopped watching Naruto after that Ramen Rasengan episode. At that point it was basically "you're drunk Shounen anime. Go home."
Old 08-22-2016, 02:35 PM   #189
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

One piece is the only one that's worth it. All others turned into turds eventually. The biggest turd I would argue is katekyo hitman reborn. So much promise...
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:31 AM   #190
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

New Game - not quite the Shirobako-like I was hoping for, but aside from some cringe-worthy scenes it's entertaining. If you liked Shirobako you should at least give it a shot.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #191
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Mushi-shi - I'm sure many of you have seen this by now, but it was an excellent show and I would definitely recommend it. A nice change of pace from the usual anime out there. Something about the main character Ginko is always entertaining to watch.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:12 PM   #192
photon

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #193
photon

Exp:

Haha Vegito is back next episode in Dragon Ball Super!

It's on Crunchyroll now too.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:37 PM   #194
photon

Exp:

Naruto is FINALLY done I guess, but they're doing some post-end-of-the-manga stuff which is actually pretty decent.

Sound! Euphonium 2 was a good season 2, the last episode was great I thought.

Magical Girl Raising Project last episode was disappointing, overall it wasn't a great show but it's impossible not to be compared to Puella Magi Madoka Magica and everything will fail that comparison. Interesting idea and some good parts.

Izetta: The Last Witch also ended, the show was pretty cool idea and the production quality was top notch, but it seemed it couldn't decide what kind of show it was (serious WWII alt-history drama with some fan service thrown in?!). And the last few episodes I don't think paid off as well as the setup, it was really engaging to start but became kind of predictable.

Future Trunks saga is done in Dragon Ball Super which ended up not sucking IMO and wasn't hundreds of episodes, and the new one starts with (spoiler but not really since it's in the trailers and title of the episode)
Spoiler!

So not sure what they've got planned, but I can't not watch Dragonball can I?
Old 01-25-2017, 05:59 PM   #195
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

A little behind, but I finished Sound! Euphonium 2 and it was great. Not as good as season 1, but still quite good. That production quality sure makes everything else feel a little more dull. I'll miss this show.

I watched a bit of Nisekoi which was amusing but ultimately meh. Great show to grab reaction faces for posting on forums though! I also didn't finish watching Space Patrol Luluco as it wasn't grabbing me. Next on my queue is Anohana (and then probably Konosuba S2).
Old 01-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #196
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
A little behind, but I finished Sound! Euphonium 2 and it was great. Not as good as season 1, but still quite good. That production quality sure makes everything else feel a little more dull. I'll miss this show.
Replying to myself because I noticed something interesting today. I was listening to the soundtrack to both seasons (because the music in this show is really freaking good), and...

Spoiler!
Old 01-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #197
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Anohana.

Probably the only anime where I watched the ending credits fully every episode.

Also good luck.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:00 AM   #198
photon

Exp:

Old 02-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #199
photon

Exp:

Old 02-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #200
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Season 2 Announcement for Attack on Titan:
https://animemojo.com/shonen/attack_...e-badass-a2671

Spoiler'd the large poster for Season 2
Spoiler!

I can't wait to watch this...I have avoided all spoilers and Manga in anticipation for this lol
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post: