Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #61
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, after recent events and results how are we all feeling about Rodgers?

My initial dislike for him and my opinion that he is trying to shove a round peg into a square hole has strengthened if anything. Certainly hasnt abated.

Hes overseeing Liverpool's worst start in 20 years, I think its fair to say that if he isnt under pressure right now he very soon will be and I think he already is.

I believe that he'll be given the opportunity to strengthen the squad in January but if results dont drastically improve after hes managed to put his stamp on the team then he likely wont last the summer.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #62
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So, after recent events and results how are we all feeling about Rodgers?

My initial dislike for him and my opinion that he is trying to shove a round peg into a square hole has strengthened if anything. Certainly hasnt abated.

Hes overseeing Liverpool's worst start in 20 years, I think its fair to say that if he isnt under pressure right now he very soon will be and I think he already is.

I believe that he'll be given the opportunity to strengthen the squad in January but if results dont drastically improve after hes managed to put his stamp on the team then he likely wont last the summer.
From an outsider, I think he's a good coach., who left a stable system behind in Swansea. I believe expectations are unrealistic with his budget.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #63
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Rodgers was very open when he was hired about saying that this was going to be a long term project, and FSG seemed to be ok with that. It was a pretty tough situation to walk into, with a lot of money spent on useless players the last couple years. That coupled with Rodgers mistake of not getting help up front at the end of last window has really left us with a thin squad. Hopefully we will see some more spending as we manage to offload the likes of Carroll and Cole and others.

Personally I really like Rodgers. I like that he has a vision for how he wants the team to play, which is something we haven't had since Rafa. I also really like how he has handled our talented youngsters. We have generally played quite well this season, we just still really lack finish. Even just adding one more goal scorer to his team could completely change us (although we have been saying that for a few years now).

I'm still very confident that Rodgers is the right manager for us, and I hope he gets the time and support to turn this thing around.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #64
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

My biggest issues with Rodgers is his focus on possession-based 'tiki-taka' play. That crap is all well and good, but I think teams have to be more diverse than that in order to be successful.

His woeful lack of a plan B in case plan A isnt working is very shortsighted, especially considering the fact that he cant even get plan A going properly. Even assuming that he can, there has to be more options than just that.

Remember that draw at Anfield on the weekend? That wonderful Suarez goal? That was 65 minutes of useless tiki-taka rescued by one long-ball.

One style of play does not a team make. At least not a good team.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #65
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is one weak team.

Midfield:

Cole, Henderson, Downing, Shelvey, Coady.

Hopefully Adam Morgan can pot a couple goals. Whoever that is. Coates and Carragher are working their asses off.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #66
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aaaaand undone by a long ball. Keep passing it around though.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #67
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its a slow day at work, so I'll clarify.

I'm not advocating that Liverpool become a 90s era long-ball team, not at all. What I'm saying is that great teams do what it takes to win. If a team is set up to win games in a certain way, ie. tiki-taka possession, then great.

But if that isnt working, then the team has to be able to find another way to win and thats something, among a great many things, that I dont think Rodgers either understands, is willing to accept or is capable of doing anything about.

He wants to win with strict possession play. Great. Well we're playing with possession and doing nothing with it. We need a striker, I understand that, but we're not finding ways to win and this team has no flow to it. Its too rigid in its system and it has few, if any, options.

I know he hasnt had much time or money, and thats okay, he'll get his opportunity in January and then we'll see what he can do, but what kind of timeline are we comfortable with? 2 seasons? 3? More?

Old 11-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #68
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I don't think a specific timeline needs to be put on it. I expect to see some improvements between now and January, and then again in the 2nd half of the season.

I have a couple of thoughts on the system. For one, not everybody on the pitch plays the system Rodgers wants. That is probably partly due to not having the proper players, but also due to the current players still learning it. There are still plenty of times during a game that players are not on the same page. That will get better with time. So while I agree with you that great teams need to make adjustments to win, I think we need to get really good at one system first.

Secondly, I didn't see the game today, but in most games we have played we have created enough chances to win. Changing a system isn't going to help us with burying goals when we have the chances.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #69
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
He wants to win with strict possession play. Great. Well we're playing with possession and doing nothing with it.
Rodgers ......
Quote:
“I don’t think there is a lot wrong with our game.
“We are up there with the top four teams in the country in terms of creating chances.
“The clear area we need to improve on is finishing, and getting the goals to finish off our approach play. I will never forget that.
But if you are performing well, nine times out of 10 you will get a good result.”
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...g-chances.html

The two bolded parts contradict each other. He's been beatng the there's nothing wrong drum all season yet (PL only) 2 times out of 10 he's had a good result.

Just going by the being Liverpool footage he nearly tries to be too complex and cerebral. I say tries because it looks and sounds forced (e.g. the 3 envelopes) and there were occasions when he was talking to Shelvey when Shelvey just looked completely lost and had no idea what he was talking about.

And that annoying habit of saying "as I said" when in fact ..... no, you didn't.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #70
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool do not plan to spend big money in the January transfer window.

"If we can get in the quality in the final third we need to support what we have, then there will be enough to keep the team moving forward," said Rodgers.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...ransfer-window

Oh good. That ought to work. If you get enough goal-less draws you might be able to stave off relegation.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #71
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Well he isn't exactly going to come out and announce that we have a whole bunch of money to spend, is he?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #72
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I made the mistake of stopping by a few Liverpool message boards online and saw a lot of talk about how if decisions went the "right way" LFC would be 3rd (maybe 4th) in the table and it was this and one striker that was stopping Liverpool from being top 2 in the EPL.

Just wondering if some more rational Liverpool fans thought this was the case or if this was the usual internet homerism that message boards can create.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #73
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Well we were robbed of two points at Everton, and felt a bit hard done by in one or two others (Swansea maybe? I can't really rememer now). The crazy part is that the table is so close right now that those extra points would have had us in a tie for fourth before this week.

To answer your question though, I don't think officials are to blame, and I don't think we are one player away from top 2. I think a quality striker could give us a chance to push for a top 4 spot next season if we avoid key injuries.

We are still a long ways off of the quality of the top squads, but I like what Rodgers has done so far in his short time in charge.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #74
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I made the mistake of stopping by a few Liverpool message boards online and saw a lot of talk about how if decisions went the "right way" LFC would be 3rd (maybe 4th) in the table and it was this and one striker that was stopping Liverpool from being top 2 in the EPL.

Just wondering if some more rational Liverpool fans thought this was the case or if this was the usual internet homerism that message boards can create.
Yeah, that's nonsense. It's just not a very good team right now. Another quality striker is desperately needed, but that alone wouldn't vault them into the top 4. I'm not certain Rodgers is the answer either.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #75
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Well we were robbed of two points at Everton, and felt a bit hard done by in one or two others (Swansea maybe? I can't really rememer now). The crazy part is that the table is so close right now that those extra points would have had us in a tie for fourth before this week.

To answer your question though, I don't think officials are to blame, and I don't think we are one player away from top 2. I think a quality striker could give us a chance to push for a top 4 spot next season if we avoid key injuries.

We are still a long ways off of the quality of the top squads, but I like what Rodgers has done so far in his short time in charge.
Thanks.

I am somewhat leery of going to Tottenham sites only because I don't want to hear about the "if games were 80 minutes" stat over and over again.

I like CP for the EPL talk we have just was looking for a bit more chat and trying to see what fanbases thought of what was going on with their teams. With the way Liverpool is going the past couple of years and the way they are pumped up in the media I listen to they seemed like an interesting team to take a look at.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #76
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Thanks.

I am somewhat leery of going to Tottenham sites only because I don't want to hear about the "if games were 80 minutes" stat over and over again.

I like CP for the EPL talk we have just was looking for a bit more chat and trying to see what fanbases thought of what was going on with their teams. With the way Liverpool is going the past couple of years and the way they are pumped up in the media I listen to they seemed like an interesting team to take a look at.
I like the Red and White Kop forum for Liverpool chat. There is still plenty of garbage to sift through, but the mods there do a pretty good job of making sure threads at least start with some quality commentary.

Tags
gerrard , ynwa