Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #341
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Most managers play with what they have, if they have lasted as long as Hodgson has it is because they have adapted to a game that has changed over the last 20 years.

He obviously had to play a style with Fulham that was different than one he could play with a higher pool of talent and pay structure. I am not saying he is Mourinho or anything, but give him a chance with a better quality team. As Rube said Spurs have done fine with an English manager and it was criticized when they hired him.

if people don't like Hodgson who did they want?
He plays the same brand of football everywhere. Extremely cautious, attacking sparingly.

Now if you look at his 20 year career, you'll quickly see a pattern that he consistently has a large amount of draws at each and every club.

There's a difference between Redknapp and Hodgson. Redknapp spends to get his teams to where they are. There is no arguing that. Hodgson hasn't and can't here.

Redknapp wasn't a manager du jour such as Hodgson. Redknapp showed he could win, and as I said the owners paid for that. His winning percentage at Pompey was in around 47%. Hodgson's at Fulham is under 40%, Blackburn was 35%. His best ever tenure was a midtable Inter club where he was at 44% and this was almost 15 years ago.

His English record doesn't suggest much, he's being hired for that Europa League run, which is the only thing he's achieved in Europe. His domestic success is not good at all, unless you want to look at Scandanavia...
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #342
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Abramavich is flying to South Africa to sign Torres. Probably thinking he can get him cheap after this World Cup performance. $55M is the number I'm hearing.

Jagger, I coached a practice last night and one of my boys got a brand new "Standard Chartered" - Torres - Liverpool jersey. I wasnt sure at first man, but it actually looks really good, I dont know if it'll translate to TV, but in person it is actually pretty nice looking. I'm thinking about it. I actually just bought a ton of cheap, heavily discounted Liverpool gear!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #343
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Masch wants out.

Quote:
Argentina captain Javier Mascherano will inform new Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson in the next 48 hours that he wants to leave Anfield.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...nsfers&cc=5901

Cheering for Liverpool this season is going to be getting harder and harder I think.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #344
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I still won't believe Torres is leaving until he's gone though. Perhaps just hope, but we've heard this every summer. As far as Mascherano, he can go, as long as Hodgson squeezes a lotta money...out of Rafa, hah. I'll miss how good he is, but not how wreckless he is with his tackles and his mouth.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #345
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
I still won't believe Torres is leaving until he's gone though. Perhaps just hope, but we've heard this every summer. As far as Mascherano, he can go, as long as Hodgson squeezes a lotta money...out of Rafa, hah. I'll miss how good he is, but not how wreckless he is with his tackles and his mouth.
I'll miss Masch too, but he spent more time suspended than he did on the pitch.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #346
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Masch is the first of many. We should get used(if not be used to) to selling guys and not getting a fair amount back to spend.

G and H out. Join SOS
Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #347
09IGGYfan
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'll miss Masch too, but he spent more time suspended than he did on the pitch.
haha but com'on man, he's one of, if not the best at what he does. We'll definitely miss him. But tbh I'd rather have average players who WANT to be here rather than stars who wont leave it all out on the pitch.

but FINALLY some good news with Jovanovic's 2 year deal
09IGGYfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #348
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Cheering for Liverpool this season is going to be getting harder and harder I think.
No it really won't. Peaks and valleys and all that....

Just remember...........

When you walk
Through a storm
Hold your head, up high
And don't be afraid, of the dark
'Coz at the end of the storm
Is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song
Of the lark

Walk on, through the wind
Walk on, through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed
And blown

Walk on, walk on
With hope, in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone

Old 07-09-2010, 01:13 AM   #349
09IGGYfan
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
You'll never walk alone

always sends chills down your body. This song was made for exactly this type of situation. YNWA
09IGGYfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #350
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09IGGYfan View Post
always sends chills down your body. This song was made for exactly this type of situation. YNWA
Yup...being at Anfield my scarf in the air, belting that out at the top of my lungs, was something that I will never forget.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #351
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always thought this video was well done, what a game as well

d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #352
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yossi Benayoun has launched a sensational scathing attack on Rafael Benitez, saying the manager was the reason he left Liverpool and that the club is better off for his departure.

Yossi Benayoun has accused Rafael Benitez of trying to 'break' him
Benayoun, who joined Chelsea for an undisclosed fee on July 2, accused Benitez for destroying his confidence and showing him a lack of respect.

He told the News of The World: "I made up my mind to leave a long time ago because of Benitez. He never treated me with the respect I deserved. If I played well, I never felt he gave me credit. When I scored, I still expected to be out of the team the next game. And when the fans wanted me to play, Benitez told me he couldn't understand why."
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...ngland&cc=5901

If even half of this is true I'm glad hes gone.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #353
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Too bad Yossi was sold after Rafa announced he was leaving. Rafa was never a guy that coddled players, he had a plan in mind and it worked a lot of the time.

Yossi's situation now got a lot better. With Rafa he had a chance to start, with the rent boys he doesn't have a chance. Also, Chelsea has had problems in regards to anti-semitism.

It doesn't make sense to me. Yossi leaves because after good performances he doesn't play, to a club where they won't even gauge his performance because he won't play.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #354
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, I should clarify, I meant that if it were true then I'm glad Benitez is gone, not Yossi.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #355
mattyk19
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey guys,

I'm pretty stoked - I've recently taken a job working for Carlsberg with a football focus. We're a huge Liverpool supporter (obviously). I've been living in Van-City for the past few years, but am back in Cow-Town. I'm searching for Liverpool supporting pubs in town and was hoping I could some feedback from you.

CHEERS!

PS: I realize this is an old thread, but hoping some Liverpool fans will still be able to help. Thanks!

Last edited by mattyk19; 06-20-2013 at 03:49 PM.
mattyk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #356
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I know the Winkin' Owl in the SE is where the Liverpool Calgary branch meets for games. I'm not sure if there are other ones. Their website is www.lfccalgary.com
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #357
mattyk19
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Awesome, thanks!
mattyk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #358
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yep, the Winkin' Owl is our single spot right now. We did, for a half season, have a north "branch" as well, but the club decided it was in the best interests to all go to the same spot. If the game is on TV, it will be open, even if it's a 5am kickoff live.

Tags
carra , gerrard , masch , torres , ynwa