Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #41
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I'd bet they miss the playoffs.
yep. Nonis has already effed things up. They wont make the playoffs for a long time. they have Detroit in their division now, too.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #42
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to be fun to watch both Montreal and Toronto fall well below their fans expectations this year. They can join us in our hour of despair.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #43
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

despite some pretty brutal signings ($/term) the roster looks pretty decent.

Assuming raymond signs for a smaller 1 year deal, heir forwards are a decent mix:

lupul - bozak - kessel
jvr - kadri - clarkson
raymond - bolland - kulemin
orr - mclement - mclaren

i still think they're going to trade out a dman or two to make space for reilly, who i bet makes the big club out of camp, and is the only dman calder candidate this year....
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #44
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the leafs realize they actually have a decent team this year and might be willing to pay for someone (like the Flames) to take a bad contract along with a pick(s). They are a perfect trade partner for the Flame IMO because they might over pay in order to reach that next level and they might even regress and be worse than last year.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #45
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

yup i am curious what pick in the 2014 draft they would be willing to part with if the flames took on the Liles contract.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #46
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I think the leafs realize they actually have a decent team this year and might be willing to pay for someone (like the Flames) to take a bad contract along with a pick(s). They are a perfect trade partner for the Flame IMO because they might over pay in order to reach that next level and they might even regress and be worse than last year.
The worst part for the Leafs is, a few of their worst contracts were signed this summer.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #47
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm on the same page as you there bubbsy, if we were to take Liles and another player and actually give them someone with value, we could probably get a first and prospect...
Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #48
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
yup i am curious what pick in the 2014 draft they would be willing to part with if the flames took on the Liles contract.
Make them bleed for the dion trade
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #49
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

It surprises me that Raymond wasn't able to secure a contract. While not a difference maker, and I didn't want the Flames to pick him up, he's a decent player that can add speed and skill to your line up.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #50
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

ya, i thought he'd go to a team that is lacking skill in their top 6 or a team looking for depth, so he could get the kind of mins it would take to draw the attention of a good team come deadline/next offseason (ie. nashville, sj, dallas, etc)...

guess the nonis connection kicked in.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #51
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

How can the Leafs afford Raymond? They have less than 5 million to sign Kadri and Franson.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #52
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought for sure Nashville would have been looking at Raymond. Surprised the Leafs are. Wonder if Colborne ends up having to be traded if Raymond ends up beating him for a spot.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #53
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to get Colborne from the leafs. Even if we give up something of value to get him and a pick along with a bad contract. Those are the deals Feaster should be going after, lets hope Burke can help pull some strings
Old 09-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #54
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
despite some pretty brutal signings ($/term) the roster looks pretty decent.

Assuming raymond signs for a smaller 1 year deal, heir forwards are a decent mix:

lupul - bozak - kessel
jvr - kadri - clarkson
raymond - bolland - kulemin
orr - mclement - mclaren

i still think they're going to trade out a dman or two to make space for reilly, who i bet makes the big club out of camp, and is the only dman calder candidate this year....
The Leafs are one of the few teams that have very few softie players... ( lost Grabowski) and have room for Raymond.

They would be the ideal team for Raymond to catch on with as he will almost always be on the ice with two other forwards and a couple of D-men willing an able to do the tough work.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #55
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe i have not paid close enough attention to Mason "Jar" Raymonds skill set, but it seems somewhat surprising for him to have only been able to secure a PTO contract. Seems to me that he has doen enough to score a more permanent deal.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #56
Juggernaught
Draft Pick

Default The goods on Raymond

I'm a long time Nucks fan and followed Raymond's development from the AHL onward. He just never made the transition to the next level. His skill set restricts his use to top six but his ability and numbers don't warrant the icetime. He can thank the Canuck coaching staff for making him defensively responsible (which he is) but he simply doesn't generate enough offence. Although speedy, I've often described him as the first guy to gain the zone with the puck and then do absolutelt nothing worthwhile once he's there. On a scale of 1-10 for grit he's a 2 at best. He was taken, mid-contract, to arbitration by the Canucks and ended up with a pay-cut...nuf said.
Juggernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #57
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

agreed. raymond is a guy who doesn't generate enough consistently to play in the top6, yet doesn't play the kind of game expected from guys in the bottom 6 (physical, strong defensively, etc).

On a good team, his spot is questionable. but still see a fit for teams looking for scoring like the nashvilles, and SJs (no scoring outside their aging forwards), etc.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #58
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's on the Fan right now talking about his try out with the Leafs. Kind of feel bad for him especially with the dumb question of "Rumours were that you had talked with the Flames. How close were you?". We all know that it was never really close and he has to follow with the uncomfortable "We did talk a little but it was never really close."

It's not like he's anywhere close to the worst player in the NHL so it's curious that he couldn't get a contract with anyone.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #59
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the same token - how the hell is Brad Boyes not signed yet? Great resurgence last season, only 31 years old and still unemployed.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #60
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
On the same token - how the hell is Brad Boyes not signed yet? Great resurgence last season, only 31 years old and still unemployed.
Casualties of the big $5+ million long term contracts being used to tie up franchise players. A lot of teams have tied up 70% of their money into 30% of their roster and that means guys like Boyes and Raymond are going to have to scratch and claw to get a contract because they aren't elite scorers and they aren't important role players you need in your bottom 6.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote