Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-23-2017, 10:24 PM   #1001
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
The link I spoke about above doesn't have it listed.
Does anyone know a local store that sells La Fin du Monde?
Most stores sell them in bombers near the malt liquors.
Barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #1002
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know I have seen La Fin Du Monde at Co-op Liquor Store in the past, but I haven't paid attention lately.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #1003
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by Matt Reeeeead; 07-24-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #1004
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Liquor Depot and Liquor Barns might have it.

http://www.liquordirect.ca/Search.aspx?k=fin+du+monde
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #1005
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I sort of recall seeing La Fin Du Monde just about everywhere. Unless things have changed, Willow Park typically has a great selection of Unibroue and carries some of their beers I haven't seen anywhere else in Calgary- and typically as six packs, not just bombers.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 10:02 PM   #1006
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I managed to get a hold of a couple 6 packs of the infamous Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA and 90 minute IPA. Was quite surprised by how light the 60 minute IPA was, but would also explain why it is so universally loved- very refreshing and crisp and not too hoppy. The 90 minute is definitely an east coast style IPA, and much more balanced than you would get out of an insanely bitter west coast IIPA. Not quite sure I would agree with it being the best IPA in the US as they often claim, but still very good.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #1007
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
I managed to get a hold of a couple 6 packs of the infamous Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA and 90 minute IPA. Was quite surprised by how light the 60 minute IPA was, but would also explain why it is so universally loved- very refreshing and crisp and not too hoppy. The 90 minute is definitely an east coast style IPA, and much more balanced than you would get out of an insanely bitter west coast IIPA. Not quite sure I would agree with it being the best IPA in the US as they often claim, but still very good.
That's not really the style of east coast IPAs any more. Everyone is going crazy for the NE style super hazy, super fresh, high aroma, low bitterness IPAs in the 16 oz cans. They are all brewery only, and people line up for hours every week to buy freshly packaged cans at places like Tree House, The Veil Brewing Co, Bissel Bros, and Other Half.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #1008
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
That's not really the style of east coast IPAs any more. Everyone is going crazy for the NE style super hazy, super fresh, high aroma, low bitterness IPAs in the 16 oz cans. They are all brewery only, and people line up for hours every week to buy freshly packaged cans at places like Tree House, The Veil Brewing Co, Bissel Bros, and Other Half.
Ya, Seems like most of them are unfiltered now and almost pulpy? Would love to get a hold of Tree House Julius. Know of any attainable beers in Calgary that seem to take on this style? I'm pretty sure that the collective arts IPAs are all good examples of modern NE IPAs, but would love to try more.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #1009
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, Seems like most of them are unfiltered now and almost pulpy? Would love to get a hold of Tree House Julius. Know of any attainable beers in Calgary that seem to take on this style? I'm pretty sure that the collective arts IPAs are all good examples of modern NE IPAs, but would love to try more.
There are only a handful of breweries that really do it right, and none of them distribute. The brewers all say they are intended to be drank fresh (within a couple weeks), and kept cold, so they only sell out of their taprooms. Beer takes about a month or so to go through all the distribution channels and hit stores, so that doesn't really work with the style.

The breweries are doing huge volumes though. Tree House upped their production significantly with their new brewery, and are selling out 3000 cases (of 24 cans) from Wed to Fri every week. They are selling at about $15/4 pack too. It'd be a great business model if you could figure out how to brew that style in untapped markets. Monkish is really the only west coast brewery doing it that I've had. I think Great Notion from Oregon is doing that style well too from what I've heard.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 07:49 PM   #1010
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have searched everywhere in Calgary for this beer, for many years, to no avail.
2 nights ago, I found LiquorConnect and it showed me that there was indeed a store in Calgary that stocked it.
Last night was one of the nicest reunions I've ever had.
Anyone ever had it? It's delicious.
Yes in another life.

There was also a local pivo brewed in Daruvar (a craft beer, before it was cool).

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:09 PM   #1011
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it interesting that a beer style originally intended to be well preserved for trips from Great Britain to India is now best served fresh.
Barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:06 PM   #1012
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was my first thought as well. American's have taken a lot of liberties with the name IPA over the years, IMHO.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:32 PM   #1013
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That was my first thought as well. American's have taken a lot of liberties with the name IPA over the years, IMHO.
For the best, they make the tastiest IPA's nowadays. Jealous of the dogfish head find!
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #1014
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone know a good place in Calgary to buy half kegs
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #1015
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There are only a handful of breweries that really do it right, and none of them distribute. The brewers all say they are intended to be drank fresh (within a couple weeks), and kept cold, so they only sell out of their taprooms. Beer takes about a month or so to go through all the distribution channels and hit stores, so that doesn't really work with the style.

The breweries are doing huge volumes though. Tree House upped their production significantly with their new brewery, and are selling out 3000 cases (of 24 cans) from Wed to Fri every week. They are selling at about $15/4 pack too. It'd be a great business model if you could figure out how to brew that style in untapped markets. Monkish is really the only west coast brewery doing it that I've had. I think Great Notion from Oregon is doing that style well too from what I've heard.
I know it is a west coast brewery, but I tried the Firestone Walker Fortem Imperial IPA a few days ago and it definitely has that modern New England taste and appearance- Pulpy, tropical, and sweet. Basically looks like juice. Awesome beer, but doubt it can be found in Calgary. Fairly similar to the Collective Arts IPA no1 that was around a few months ago.

Was in the States for a couple weeks, tried a lot of beers, but this was definitely the most memorable.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 08-16-2017 at 02:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 09:06 PM   #1016
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know it is a west coast brewery, but I tried the Firestone Walker Fortem Imperial IPA a few days ago and it definitely has that modern New England taste and appearance- Pulpy, tropical, and sweet. Basically looks like juice. Awesome beer, but doubt it can be found in Calgary. Fairly similar to the Collective Arts IPA no1 that was around a few months ago.

Was in the States for a couple weeks, tried a lot of beers, but this was definitely the most memorable.

I haven't noticed that around here, but we do get FW beers so I'll keep an eye out for ti.

So, today, Treehouse sold out 2000 cases (of 24 cans) between around noon and 7 on a regular Wednesday release of regular rotation IPAs. The limits were 7 cans each of 2 brands (alter ego and Haze).

Incredibly, 4500 people went through the brewery today and spent over $200k.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:01 AM   #1017
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Decided to try a 4-pack of these on a whim, another lucky find. Tasty tasty stuff

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #1018
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I haven't noticed that around here, but we do get FW beers so I'll keep an eye out for ti.

So, today, Treehouse sold out 2000 cases (of 24 cans) between around noon and 7 on a regular Wednesday release of regular rotation IPAs. The limits were 7 cans each of 2 brands (alter ego and Haze).

Incredibly, 4500 people went through the brewery today and spent over $200k.
I had no idea about the demand at Treehouse until a friend told me about how crazy it can be. Like many, Julius at the top of my beer bucket list, but getting a hold of it sounds damn tough. In contrast, Im pretty sure just showing up at a brewery like Russian River would guarantee you a chance to at least try or buy Pliny the Elder, but not that case with Julius at Treehouse. Mind you, Im pretty sure Russian River distributes across the western United States now, lowering demand. Pliny also been around a long time now.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 08-17-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:00 AM   #1019
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I had no idea about the demand at Treehouse until a friend told me about how crazy it can be. Like many, Julius at the top of my beer bucket list, but getting a hold of it sounds damn tough. In contrast, Im pretty sure just showing up at a brewery like Russian River would guarantee you a chance to at least try or buy Pliny the Elder, but not that case with Julius at Treehouse. Mind you, Im pretty sure Russian River distributes across the western United States now, lowering demand. Pliny also been around a long time now.
I get Treehouse sent to me somewhat regularly from my trading friends up there. I'd send you some if you had an American address. If you go there Wed-Fri and prepare to wait an hour, you'll get their cans for the day. Julius seems to be a pretty regular option, probably averaging every other week or so. Haze and Doppelganger are my favorite, I wouldn't worry to much about trying to get Julius. The Treehouse beers everyone really goes crazy for are their amped up versions, like Juice Machine, King Julius, Very Hazy and Very Green. All the Treehouse beers are pretty great though. All these NE breweries make dozens of different IPA brands that are mostly different combinations of hops, and the timing often coincides with the hop availability. People are more into a certain breweries IPAs than any particular brand from that brewery.

Trillium is in that area too, and is just as good IMO, and easier to acquire. If you ever made the trip, I'd definitely hit up both those breweries.

Last edited by nfotiu; 08-18-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #1020
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have a good craft beer store in Red Deer? Have a birthhday to attend tonight and my friend loves craft beer. (I'm already in red deer)
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer , conway twitty , drunks , yes conway twitty