Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #1021
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
He's not absolving anyone here. He blames Lombardi for knowing but not doing anything and the PA for allowing the charade to settle.

Lombardi certainly taking his lumps here because he's the only one with decision making power here, and he intentionally made the bad decisions
Mirtle is blaming the Kings for failing to do anything much to help Richards' addiction issues. He is blaming the NHLPA for letting the Kings off the hook on the termination. What he is not doing is blaming the NHLPA for failing to do anything much to help Richards' addiction issues. And he should, because the union has routinely failed to place player health and safety very high on its list of priorities.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 09:25 PM   #1022
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...ds-settlement/

Quote:
Here are the cap ramifications:

2015-16 is $3.12 million. That's the cap recapture plus a $1.8 million payout.
2016-17 to 2019-20 is $1.57 million. That's the cap recapture plus a $250,000 payout.
2020-21 is $700,000.
2021-22 and 2022-23 are $900,000.
2023-24 and 2024-25 are $700,000.
2025-26 to 2028-29 are $600,000.
2029-30 and 2030-31 are $500,000.
It ends in 2031-32 at $400,000.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #1023
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^That's a friggen joke.

Pathetic.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #1024
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yashin was on the books for 8 years @ 2.2 M. And that seemed like a crazy long time.
Also worth noting the salary cap was in the 50-60M range for most of that period, so he accounted for ~4% of the teams cap.

2010 cap was 59.4, compared to 73M in 2015 (a little over 4% average annual increase). Assuming a 4% increase:

2020 cap = 87.6; Richards = 0.8% of cap
2025 cap = 102.2; Richards = 0.6% of cap
2030 cap = 116.8; Richards = 0.4% of cap
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #1025
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Oh yay, the NHL/NHLPA is basically allowing the Kings to be completely off the hook. Note the small actual payments during the cap recapture period beyond this year.

What's that the premier western market made a big mistake and might have to actually pay for it?... can't have that now can we.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #1026
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Why even bother?

If you're going to let them off the hook then just let them off the hook.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #1027
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So dumb, they might as well have just let them get off scot free.

Gotta credit the Kings, you might as well break the rules if they'll let you. They just punched the NHLPA right in the stomach and they don't even seem to care... so why should I? It's not like this is going to impact the Flames to any great extent.

I would be worried if I was a player that liked to party and I had a nice, long-term "guaranteed" contract. Better fall in line if that's the case, anything could be open season now even with the "non-precedent" clause. I'm sure that can be forgotten about when it's convenient, just like some of the other rules that they've already broken.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #1028
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

His previous hit was $5.75M for 5 more years, right? Right off the bat they save over $2M, then over $4M and $5M the next years.

Not even close to a compromise.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #1029
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I said when they terminated that it was dirty but almost a no lose situation for the Kings: they either lose (and are in the same boat as they were in before less a few legal fees), win (windfall!) or settle (which as it turns out = very slightly smaller windfall).
Old 10-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #1030
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Yashin was on the books for 8 years @ 2.2 M. And that seemed like a crazy long time.
Also worth noting the salary cap was in the 50-60M range for most of that period, so he accounted for ~4% of the teams cap.

2010 cap was 59.4, compared to 73M in 2015 (a little over 4% average annual increase). Assuming a 4% increase:

2020 cap = 87.6; Richards = 0.8% of cap
2025 cap = 102.2; Richards = 0.6% of cap
2030 cap = 116.8; Richards = 0.4% of cap
The cap is never going that high unless:

1) A new mega TV deal is signed

2) The US and Canada experience levels of inflation that haven't been seen in decades

JMO obviously but this is a gate driven league and i can't see revenue going up to the point where the cap is $116m, or even close. Maybe if every team had the revenues of the Canadian teams, but there are far too many dud teams out there dragging the overall HRR down.

Also, I'd wager that MSL is going to take a huge chunk out of the NHL over the next few decades as well.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #1031
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
The cap is never going that high unless:

1) A new mega TV deal is signed

2) The US and Canada experience levels of inflation that haven't been seen in decades

JMO obviously but this is a gate driven league and i can't see revenue going up to the point where the cap is $116m, or even close. Maybe if every team had the revenues of the Canadian teams, but there are far too many dud teams out there dragging the overall HRR down.

Also, I'd wager that MSL is going to take a huge chunk out of the NHL over the next few decades as well.
While pretty good TV deals were made in Canada and the US, there hasn't been significant inflation since 2010. Yet the cap went up $13.6M in only 5 years, with the same "dud" teams as there will be going forward. The US TV deal expires in '21. The Rogers deal expires in '26. I don't know why the price wouldn't go up. Plus there's going to be two or more expansion fees in that time.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #1032
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
While pretty good TV deals were made in Canada and the US, there hasn't been significant inflation since 2010. Yet the cap went up $13.6M in only 5 years, with the same "dud" teams as there will be going forward. The US TV deal expires in '21. The Rogers deal expires in '26. I don't know why the price wouldn't go up. Plus there's going to be two or more expansion fees in that time.
I don't think the expansion fees factor into HRR.

Do you really think future TV deals are going to be significantly higher? Early returns on the Rogers deal are that it doesn't look so hot for them. MLS is only going to continue to grow in popularity and there's only so much disposable income to go around (and only so much time to watch time to watch sports on tv).

I think there's a very good chance we will be talking about the NHL as a distant 5th in the big 5 within 20 years.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #1033
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
I don't think the expansion fees factor into HRR.

Do you really think future TV deals are going to be significantly higher? Early returns on the Rogers deal are that it doesn't look so hot for them. MLS is only going to continue to grow in popularity and there's only so much disposable income to go around (and only so much time to watch time to watch sports on tv).

I think there's a very good chance we will be talking about the NHL as a distant 5th in the big 5 within 20 years.
I can't predict the TV deal at all, except to say no one thought they could get as good a deal as they did, but they pulled it off.

I don't think MLS is going to have the impact that you do. Of course, I have no basis for that opinion, having not looked at their trends. In Canada anyway, my soccer watching friends are not into MLS at all - its all Premier and La Liga.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #1034
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Richards' charges stayed. Makes the fact the Kings got out from underneath that contract even more ridiculous.

http://www.tsn.ca/drug-charge-stayed...hards-1.443008

Last edited by Murph; 02-24-2016 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Link fixed
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2016, 03:18 PM   #1035
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the rest of the league should be raising a fit that the NHL let them get out of a contract for no reason.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2016, 03:22 PM   #1036
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dustin Brown better watch his P's and Q's

****ing cheaters
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #1037
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Richards' charges stayed. Makes the fact the Kings got out from underneath that contract even more ridiculous.

http://www.tsn.ca/drug-charge-stayed...hards-1.443008
Link fixed
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #1038
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting; I wonder what the settlement was for the termination of his contract. Because he settled, does that mean he cannot go after the Kings anymore? If the charges were stayed, then he likely didn't actually breach the contract and might have been able to go after the Kings for the full amount.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:47 PM   #1039
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Interesting; I wonder what the settlement was for the termination of his contract. Because he settled, does that mean he cannot go after the Kings anymore? If the charges were stayed, then he likely didn't actually breach the contract and might have been able to go after the Kings for the full amount.
Never thought of it like that. Just checked, and he still had $22M left on his contract when they settled.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:51 PM   #1040
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

It will bring me joy if the Kings and the Caps meet in the Stanley Cup finals and Richards scores the game winning goal in Game 7 OT...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post: