Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2015, 05:02 PM   #441
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

But if a substance abuse issue (am not making any assertions in this instance as we do not have any facts) one wouldn't think that gives teams rights to terminate player contracts.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:03 PM   #442
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

Thanks for the clarification on them.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:04 PM   #443
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Is the issue then that they were not prescribed by doctors?

At any rate, if he has a drug problem then the Kings should at least offer him help.
I agree with this, But I feel like they have a couple of time already and he's not registering it and is just keeping on. Only way this makes sense. Ultimately, the PA also has to step up and help those in need too. Especially is the team has gone to all the lengths possible to help their player.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #444
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Yes but highly addictive

Not that addictive. I take it for migraines usually once or twice a month at 10/325 and have never felt the need to pop some extras. Not to downplay addiction, it's different for different people i.e. alcoholism but it's not like it's coke or heroin.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #445
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah...a drug problem isnt enough.

If its a drug problem then he has to be put through the substance abuse program, you cant just cut ties and set him adrift. There has to be more than that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #446
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So it *was* about drugs -- BS, are we expecting Stoll to have his contract voided too? What Voynov did was way worse than either.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #447
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

So if we're putting the pieces together for how it was severe enough to terminate a contract;

Richards had an issue with Oxycodone that the Kings were aware of, Kings offer support/help in the form of the NHL substance abuse program, Richards either declines or was supposed to enter and didn't, Kings find out about border incident, Kings have grounds for termination.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #448
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

So either the Kings owe him in full and nothing changes (his cap hit stays), or they don't owe him a dime in money (and his cap hit goes to 1.32 M if they determine it's a breach) right?
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:10 PM   #449
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Not that addictive. I take it for migraines usually once or twice a month at 10/325 and have never felt the need to pop some extras. Not to downplay addiction, it's different for different people i.e. alcoholism but it's not like it's coke or heroin.
What? Oxycodone is highly, highly addictive. There's been epidemics of drug stores being robbed in almost every municipality in North America in recent years from addicts looking to get Oxy.

I appreciate that maybe you haven't felt addicted on small, sparsely taken doses, but do a little google searching on the drug for your own sake. It's really bad.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 05:10 PM   #450
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
So it *was* about drugs -- BS, are we expecting Stoll to have his contract voided too? What Voynov did was way worse than either.
Stoll was already a pending UFA.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:11 PM   #451
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is ballsy of the Kings to suspend him for a pain killer, especially if it is an addiction to a painkiller.

Have a feeling this could be a long legal battle.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:11 PM   #452
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Richards probably is addicted to prescription pills and the Kings want to essentially sewer him from his contract? Stay classy Kings.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #453
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oxycodone abuse is pretty serious. If he was supposed to be in treatment and got nailed, I'm sure he'd be considered in breach.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #454
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

22 Mil is a steep price to pay for some pills. Hard to believe that Richards is that dumb but I guess you never know.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:14 PM   #455
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can't argue with you about your personal experience but it's general knowledge that it's a big black market drug, which brings up the question of whether he had a legal subscription.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:15 PM   #456
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
What? Oxycodone is highly, highly addictive. There's been epidemics of drug stores being robbed in almost every municipality in North America in recent years from addicts looking to get Oxy.

I appreciate that maybe you haven't felt addicted on small, sparsely taken doses, but do a little google searching on the drug for your own sake. It's really bad.

It's addictive to people that already have addiction problems. Drug stores are being robbed because it's easier to try and rob a drug store than to try and rob a drug dealer for meth or coke or whatever. But saying it's highly addictive makes it sound like the average person who needs pain control should use extreme caution before using it or they'll get addicted. For 99% of the population it's not a problem.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:15 PM   #457
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
22 Mil is a steep price to pay for some pills. Hard to believe that Richards is that dumb but I guess you never know.
Unfortunately Oxy in all its forms is highly addictive. Once people are hooked they don't necessarily think rationally.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:16 PM   #458
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
In 1987, the San Diego Padres voided Lamarr Hoyt’s contract after he was jailed following multiple drug charges, including intent to distribute cocaine and attempting to smuggle drugs from Mexico into the U.S. This would seem to be specifically the type of conduct that would justify voiding a contract – right? Wrong. The Players Association filed a grievance and won.

In 2004, the Colorado Rockies tried to cut Danny Neagle after he was charged with soliciting a prostitute. The MLBPA stepped in, and ultimately the parties agreed to a payout of $16 million on his $19.5 million contract.

In 2005, the Baltimore Orioles voided Sidney Ponson’s contract for driving while intoxicated (as well as some other stuff). The MLBPA grieved, and the sides ended up settling. According to reports, Ponson got a sizable chunk of his $11.2 million salary.

There was a case, however, where a voided contract was upheld by an arbitrator. In 2008, Shawn Chacon refused to leave the team dining room to speak with GM Ed Wade in his office. This confrontation ended with Chacon grabbing Wade by the neck and throwing him to the ground. Each time Wade tried to get up, Chacon knocked him back to the ground. Chacon’s contract was terminated with cause. The move was appealed by the MLBPA, but the appeal was unsuccessful.

So short of strangling your employer, it can be tough to successfully terminate a contract (even then, Latrell Fontaine Sprewell got 68 games for choking NBA coach P. J. Carlesimo).
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmacr...ds-contract/3/
Old 06-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #459
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to think that the Kings went all out for Richards to help him and when he simply ignored it all and kept getting the pills, they felt he was beyond help. I just don't see how the league let the Kings try to do this without sufficient evidence this was the case.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #460
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not heroin, but I'd argue it's worse than cocaine.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post: