Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2024, 01:46 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Rogers selling Monday night NHL games to Amazon?

can't comment on how reliable the source is:

https://yyzsportsmedia.com/rogers-se...mes-to-amazon/

Quote:
As anticipation builds for this years playoffs, there is news brewing about the upcoming NHL season, whispers in the sports world hint at a potential game-changing move: Amazon’s potential takeover of the entire Monday night package from Rogers. While details remain scarce, the murmurs suggest that Rogers, burdened by the weight of the deal, may be looking to offload the Monday night games to the Seattle-based tech giant.

This isn’t just any casual chatter; insiders reveal that discussions are underway, with Amazon poised to step into the spotlight for Monday night games, including playoffs, for the remaining two years of Rogers’ contract.

The implications of such a move extend beyond the realm of sports. Amazon’s interest in securing a foothold in the NHL broadcasting arena speaks volumes about the company’s broader strategy. With deep ties to the NHL and a robust Prime platform, Amazon is positioning itself to compete head-to-head with industry giants like Walmart and Loblaws, particularly in the fiercely competitive grocery sector.

Behind the scenes, technical arrangements between Amazon and Sportsnet are said to be in place, smoothing the transition for what could be a seismic shift in the sports broadcasting landscape.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 01:53 PM   #2
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very interesting, if true.

With Canadian national rights up in 2026, would be interesting to see what an NHL deal might look like, whether it's Rogers/TSN split, Rogers/TSN/Amazon split or maybe something unexpected like Amazon (or Netflix) takes it all.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 01:57 PM   #3
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Was hoping for Apple or Netflix, both of which do a great job with sports. Amazon/Prime Video is definitely the worst, but who knows, maybe this would encourage them to get it together a little bit more.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:02 PM   #4
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good. Rogers is terrible.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:13 PM   #5
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Was hoping for Apple or Netflix, both of which do a great job with sports. Amazon/Prime Video is definitely the worst, but who knows, maybe this would encourage them to get it together a little bit more.
What is on Apple and Netflix?
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 02:16 PM   #6
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Apple does MLS and some MLB games (Friday nights, I think). Netflix doesn't do much live sports (yet). Whether you can call it sport, they're picking up a bunch of WWE stuff next year though that'll all be produced by WWE. Netflix has some great documentaries with F1 and Tennis.

Prime does a decent job with NFL. They're also doing (and have done) a ton of NHL behind the scenes stuff. A good partner to lean into.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 02:18 PM   #7
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I switched my SN+ subscription to the "channel" option on Prime TV a few weeks ago. Works much better for me than the SN App. I used to have to sit through buffering pauses mid-game and the audio was frequently out-of-sync. With Prime, it all works smoothly, so they seem to have the tech in place for live sports, even if they are just streaming Rogers' broadcasts right now.
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:20 PM   #8
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
Apple does MLS and some MLB games (Friday nights, I think). Netflix doesn't do much live sports (yet). Whether you can call it sport, they're picking up a bunch of WWE stuff next year though that'll all be produced by WWE. Netflix has some great documentaries with F1 and Tennis.

Prime does a decent job with NFL. They're also doing (and have done) a ton of NHL behind the scenes stuff. A good partner to lean into.
Oh ok thanks. I don't watch MLB so why I was clueless.

I don't think the NFL on Amazon is bad, but they are producing 1 game a week. Taking on hockey is going to be a lot more effort.

I think TNT and ESPN both did good jobs.

So these would just be Canadian rights.

I think a streaming service would be the only they best the last deal from Rogers. I can't see Bell or Rogers paying up this time around.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:22 PM   #9
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Apple has the MLS and the presentation, organization within the app, and supporting content (preview shows, intermission, etc) is really second to none imo, especially considering it being a fairly small league. Compared to NHL/Sportsnet, you would think the MLS is the far bigger draw against the NHL despite it actually being only half as popular in the US, but a lot of that has to do with the amount of effort Apple has put into the product.

Netflix mostly does one-off live events, but the presentation is always fantastic and their sports-related content (documentary-style programs really) is the best in the business.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:22 PM   #10
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to be a fan of Bettman until he awarded the rights to a 3rd rate sports channel like Sportsnet. Well it sure freed up a lot time for me from watching way less hockey.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:23 PM   #11
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Why just Mondays?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:26 PM   #12
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I used to be a fan of Bettman

So, you cheered when he awarded the Cup to teams? I didn't think that such a fan existed...
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:29 PM   #13
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
So, you cheered when he awarded the Cup to teams? I didn't think that such a fan existed...
He saved all the Cdn franchises.... oh i haven't watched a cup final in like 8 years.... lol

but not giving TSN the rights to the NHL is unforgiveable.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:30 PM   #14
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Why just Mondays?
Becasue Rogers still wants you to see Ron MacLean's handsome face on Saturday nights...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:31 PM   #15
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Prime already streams Sportsnet's ####ty service Sportsnet+ - does this mean Amazon will be doing their own production? Couldn't be any worse.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:33 PM   #16
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

It would be interesting to see if Rogers would still do the production, and then just hand the stream off to Amazon. I can see that over Amazon having their own crews etc.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:33 PM   #17
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Apple has the MLS and the presentation, organization within the app, and supporting content (preview shows, intermission, etc) is really second to none imo, especially considering it being a fairly small league. Compared to NHL/Sportsnet, you would think the MLS is the far bigger draw against the NHL despite it actually being only half as popular in the US, but a lot of that has to do with the amount of effort Apple has put into the product.

Netflix mostly does one-off live events, but the presentation is always fantastic and their sports-related content (documentary-style programs really) is the best in the business.
I don't watch a ton of MLS but do they have a lot of overlapping of games?

Searching for your Flames game on 50 Sportsnet channels that all have the same game is pretty annoying, while they play OT for the Leafs and the shootout.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:34 PM   #18
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
He saved all the Cdn franchises.... oh i haven't watched a cup final in like 8 years.... lol

but not giving TSN the rights to the NHL is unforgiveable.
Money talks.
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:34 PM   #19
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Becasue Rogers still wants you to see Ron MacLean's handsome face on Saturday nights...
Insidious bastards

Also if this means the stream isn't 60 seconds behind the live feed I'm all for it.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:38 PM   #20
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I used to be a fan of Bettman until he awarded the rights to a 3rd rate sports channel like Sportsnet. Well it sure freed up a lot time for me from watching way less hockey.
Bettman didn’t “award” anything - Roger’s bid $5.2 billion, significantly more than TSN/CBC.

What’d you want him to do, turn them down?
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post: