Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2017, 09:30 PM   #121
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
They gave up a second round pick for Lazar. Jokipakka was more or less a throw-in...
Whoever ends up with the best player wins the trade. I think Ottawa gave up on Lazar too soon. Having him on a line with Matthew Tkachuk would be insane.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:21 PM   #122
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Whoever ends up with the best player wins the trade. I think Ottawa gave up on Lazar too soon. Having him on a line with Matthew Tkachuk would be insane.
To be fair to Ottawa, I think they acknowledged that Lazar wasn't progressing and that they moved him to give him a better chance somewhere else. They saw him as more than just an asset and were willing to take the hit on his value to give him a chance somewhere else.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:20 AM   #123
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not really worried about losing any of these guys...kinda nice.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:27 AM   #124
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
FWIW, the reports of Jokipakka leaving for Europe were false.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:28 AM   #125
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Inconsequential who wenlose
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:40 AM   #126
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I'm not really worried about losing any of these guys...kinda nice.
Yep, the Flames will likely be one of the teams least impacted by expansion. Very good planning by Treliving.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:47 AM   #127
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Finger admittedly crossed for Brouwer. Sorry Troy, but without that bloated cap hit the Flames might just be able to go out and get a productive player for that #1RW slot.

As of the end of the season, he was barely worthy of getting a regular roster spot. That money could be much better spent.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:59 AM   #128
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Finger admittedly crossed for Brouwer. Sorry Troy, but without that bloated cap hit the Flames might just be able to go out and get a productive player for that #1RW slot.

As of the end of the season, he was barely worthy of getting a regular roster spot. That money could be much better spent.
Would you trade Brouwer and our first for Neal, Marchassaultt or some other option out there.

What is that first really worth? A gimmie? I think so.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:07 AM   #129
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If Vegas' management are looking at Brouwer's resume up until last season, he could be seen as a guy with value. Was a useful player in Washington and St. Louis. Problem was he was going to retire in Calgary after hockey supposedly, so when the Flames signed him, he basically went into early retirement upstairs and decided to coast through the year instead of bringing any element of the of player he was touted to be.

If Vegas needs to help to get to that cap floor and wants to add a guy that has the potential to rebound and give them some scoring and leadership, then he might be a guy for them. I'm sure getting taken out of Calgary would be a wake up call for him.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-18-2017 at 01:10 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 01:18 AM   #130
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

[QUOTE=MrMike;6291888]Would you trade Brouwer and our first for Neal, Marchassaultt or some other option out there.

I don't think #16 in this draft will get you a high impact guy that can enter your lineup in the near future, so I would strongly consider it, yes.

Neal would make the Flames a meaner team and add scoring, attributes that the top 6 needs more of. Take a little bit of attention off Tkachuk to let him do his rough stuff a little more under the radar. Would be a great add.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 02:35 AM   #131
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If Vegas' management are looking at Brouwer's resume up until last season, he could be seen as a guy with value. Was a useful player in Washington and St. Louis. Problem was he was going to retire in Calgary after hockey supposedly, so when the Flames signed him, he basically went into early retirement upstairs and decided to coast through the year instead of bringing any element of the of player he was touted to be.

If Vegas needs to help to get to that cap floor and wants to add a guy that has the potential to rebound and give them some scoring and leadership, then he might be a guy for them. I'm sure getting taken out of Calgary would be a wake up call for him.
I never looked at it that way, but wow do I ever agree with you.

I can see Brad playing a poker game with Vegas in not showing his hand that he wants them to take Brouwer, because as soon as he says take him he will say "well what will you give me to take him?" Kinda thing
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #132
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it'll be either Brouwer or Stajan. Either way, the expansion draft is not going to "hurt" the Flames ... Stajans leadership and veteran presence is nice to have, but he's also overpaid and Jankowski should be ready to step in. Losing the 16/17 Brouwer also wouldn't be a huge loss.

Not fussed about losing Shinkaruk or Kulak. Every team will expose a few prospects of that calibre.

My "hope" would be Brouwer for sure.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:52 AM   #133
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They have the Free Agent market to top up team salary.
Yes, but there is a minimum they must hit from the expansion draft specifically. If I remember correctly, it is about $42M. They can't just take 30 prospects.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 08:00 AM   #134
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
There is no way Vegas is just going to take Stajan. You guys are not thinking. You have one chance to take a free asset and you think they'll just waste it?

They'll either take an asset with long term benefit, or they leverage a team into providing an asset with long term benefit.

Like if they wanted Stajan they could just trade their 7th round pick for him. They don't need to waste an expansion pick....
This implies that the Flames would agree to trade Stajan for a 7th, which is ludicrous. Stajan is a roster player until such time as someone (Jankowski) actually takes that spot from him. We are all waiting for that to happen, but it is not a certainty at training camp.

Also, Stajan has real value heading into the trade deadline. He is a functional C with leadership skills. He is probably worth a 3rd at the deadline. So trading him for a 7th would be foolish.

I think Stajan is who Vegas takes for three reasons:

1) he's a C, which will be the least-available position in the draft
2) he comes pretty cheap, having a salary that's lower than his cap hit
3) only one year left, so he can be flipped a the deadline for another asset (likely of more value than anything available on the Flames' expansion list)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #135
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I think the rumored deal that will have Chicago send Kreuger to Vegas makes it less likely they will take Stajan.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #136
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Neal would make the Flames a meaner team and add scoring, attributes that the top 6 needs more of. Take a little bit of attention off Tkachuk to let him do his rough stuff a little more under the radar. Would be a great add.
Neal adds scoring and dirtiness. Toughness and meanness are not in his skill set.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 09:11 AM   #137
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I think the rumored deal that will have Chicago send Kreuger to Vegas makes it less likely they will take Stajan.
Obviously it is tough to say with the potential for trades outside the draft portion but do you have a sense of what centres may be picked by Vegas?

By my thinking they need to pick at least 3 centres in the draft and I foresee plekanec being one of them.

Your thoughts?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:39 PM   #138
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving has done a smart job preparing for this expansion draft. We will lose no impact player due to who's contracts expire and who was left available. I am good with losing any of tbe players under contract that will be unprotected.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #139
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
Neal adds scoring and dirtiness. Toughness and meanness are not in his skill set.
Neal is a Brouwer who can finish. Which is kind of what we hoped Brouwer would be.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #140
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

If Vegas is taking Clarkson's contract from CBJ via trade, add Fleury, Murray, Vaatanen, and Krueger in the leaked deals. They can take 25 prospects and make the cap floor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post: