Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #1021
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I agree with Sliver, if going through is not going to affect anyone or anything around you, then why not?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #1022
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It's not about needing to be somewhere five minutes earlier. It's about not needing to wait an extra five minutes for no reason. When you could opt to go through the yellow light without endangering anybody else or affecting anybody else in any way shape or form, why wouldn't you do it?
I believe you have need and want confused.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #1023
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I believe you have need and want confused.

It would not be the first words he has confused........
Old 01-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #1024
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem is that it turns into this subconscious habit, and then eventually second nature. You're no longer even thinking about anybody that would be negatively affected by you blowing through a yellow light. It's like those DBs who don't use their signal lights when they don't think they're not affecting, but now they never use their signal lights at all.

Or those people who leave car-length gaps in front of them, completely oblivious to the people behind them trying to get into a left-turn lane before the advanced green ends, because they think that they're in their own sandbox, and can sit there and respond to their emails while believing that they're not affecting anyone.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #1025
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The problem is that it turns into this subconscious habit, and then eventually second nature. You're no longer even thinking about anybody that would be negatively affected by you blowing through a yellow light. It's like those DBs who don't use their signal lights when they don't think they're not affecting, but now they never use their signal lights at all.

Or those people who leave car-length gaps in front of them, completely oblivious to the people behind them trying to get into a left-turn lane before the advanced green ends, because they think that they're in their own sandbox, and can sit there and respond to their emails while believing that they're not affecting anyone.
Great point. That's definitely the logical conclusion.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #1026
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not about needing to be somewhere five minutes earlier. It's about not needing to wait an extra five minutes for no reason. When you could opt to go through the yellow light without endangering anybody else or affecting anybody else in any way shape or form, why wouldn't you do it?
So if no one is looking, it's okay to blow through a red light? Laws are only applicable if no one else is around? Part of being a productive member of society is adhering to laws and rules. This is one that is for everyone's safety. You may think you aren't endangering anyone, but what if you aren't seeing all that is happening though the intersection? The reason you need to wait five minutes (which is likely closer to 1 or 2) is because it's the law, and everyone else should be abiding by it as well. Laws aren't applicable only when you feel like it.

One of the routes I bike on has an intersection where right turns are not permitted on red lights, even though the turn is onto a one way street. This is because there is a bike lane that goes both ways, and you don't see it until you are past the crosswalk. Cars just see the traffic flowing from their left, see the light go yellow or red and continue on, thinking they haven't affected anyone. Meanwhile there are cyclists coming from the car's right that they don't see until it's too late. The car broke the law by not stopping at the yellow, and didn't think he was hurting anyone. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to see all the moving parts. If he had just followed the law and stopped, no one would be in danger. It's not fun thinking you are about to be hit, and it's not fun seeing the panic on the drivers' faces when they hit the brakes and think they are going to hit you. I always wait for the light to turn green before proceeding, and I shouldn't have to wait additional time to make sure all the cars running the yellows and reds are through the intersection as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 01-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #1027
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People who unnecessarily stop at yellow lights. Floor it you GD p***ies.

I'm not talking about when there is a yellow light camera (you should know where those are) or if traffic is waiting to turn left in front of your lane; I'm talking about situations where it is perfectly safe and reasonable to let a few more cars through the intersection without affecting anybody, but some struggler slams on his brakes.

this reminds of of a situation a number of years ago. i was driving down the road and then noticed an rcmp cruiser driving behind me. we're approaching an intersection and sure enough it happened - the light turned yellow.

usually i would have kept going but thought, 'crap, the cop will give me a ticket'. so i applied the brakes and came to a stop. i think the cop figured i was going to go thru the intersection becuz he almost rear ended me (i saw the nose of his cruiser dip - that's how hard he had to hit the brakes). i just sat there waiting... hoping... praying that he wouldn't get out of his car. thankfully he didn't and i took the first right turn i could to not have him behind me anymore. i was going to wave but i thought that might be pushing my luck
Old 01-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #1028
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
So if no one is looking, it's okay to blow through a red light? Laws are only applicable if no one else is around? Part of being a productive member of society is adhering to laws and rules. This is one that is for everyone's safety. You may think you aren't endangering anyone, but what if you aren't seeing all that is happening though the intersection? The reason you need to wait five minutes (which is likely closer to 1 or 2) is because it's the law, and everyone else should be abiding by it as well. Laws aren't applicable only when you feel like it.
Noooooooooo, I don't think it's okay to run red lights. I think it's okay to go through a yellow light when it's a toss up between stopping and going so long as it won't affect anybody else such as somebody turning left in front of you.

Quote:
One of the routes I bike on has an intersection where right turns are not permitted on red lights, even though the turn is onto a one way street. This is because there is a bike lane that goes both ways, and you don't see it until you are past the crosswalk. Cars just see the traffic flowing from their left, see the light go yellow or red and continue on, thinking they haven't affected anyone. Meanwhile there are cyclists coming from the car's right that they don't see until it's too late. The car broke the law by not stopping at the yellow, and didn't think he was hurting anyone. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to see all the moving parts. If he had just followed the law and stopped, no one would be in danger. It's not fun thinking you are about to be hit, and it's not fun seeing the panic on the drivers' faces when they hit the brakes and think they are going to hit you. I always wait for the light to turn green before proceeding, and I shouldn't have to wait additional time to make sure all the cars running the yellows and reds are through the intersection as well.
Cool story, bro. Running that yellow light affected somebody else so he probably shouldn't have done it, although it's often legal to go through a yellow so I'm just taking your word for it here. I've said in basically every post on this topic that you shouldn't run a yellow if it will negatively affect somebody else.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #1029
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Green means go, red means stop, yellow means speed up considerably.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #1030
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you for clipping your nails at your cubicle every day at work. This is definitely not an activity that can be done at home.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #1031
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
It would not be the first words he has confused........
Objectively, he wants to get there faster.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #1032
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Thank you for clipping your nails at your cubicle every day at work. This is definitely not an activity that can be done at home.
Why would you do something at home when you can get paid to do it at work?
Old 01-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #1033
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Noooooooooo, I don't think it's okay to run red lights. I think it's okay to go through a yellow light when it's a toss up between stopping and going so long as it won't affect anybody else such as somebody turning left in front of you.

Cool story, bro. Running that yellow light affected somebody else so he probably shouldn't have done it, although it's often legal to go through a yellow so I'm just taking your word for it here. I've said in basically every post on this topic that you shouldn't run a yellow if it will negatively affect somebody else.
The point is, you may not know it will negatively affect someone until it is too late. A yellow light means stop if you are able. If you are safely able to stop you should. It's not that hard. If you continue through the light, you may negatively affect someone else, and in that split second you decide to go through, you haven't been able to see all factors. When dealing with motor vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians, it makes sense to follow the law, and be a little more cautious, given that the results of wanting to save 60 seconds could turn fatal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 01-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #1034
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
The point is, you may not know it will negatively affect someone until it is too late. A yellow light means stop if you are able. If you are safely able to stop you should. It's not that hard. If you continue through the light, you may negatively affect someone else, and in that split second you decide to go through, you haven't been able to see all factors. When dealing with motor vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians, it makes sense to follow the law, and be a little more cautious, given that the results of wanting to save 60 seconds could turn fatal.
Guy, if it isn't safe I wouldn't run it. That's my whole point. If the light was green and it was safe to go, and one second later the light turned yellow, it is very likely still safe to go on which case you should.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #1035
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not talking about when there is a yellow light camera (you should know where those are) or if traffic is waiting to turn left in front of your lane; I'm talking about situations where it is perfectly safe and reasonable to let a few more cars through the intersection without affecting anybody, but some struggler slams on his brakes.
WRGMG are idiots that try to "sneak a couple extra cars" through the yellow/red light. I typically make it a habit of driving straight at these A'holes to wake them up.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #1036
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
WRGMG are idiots that try to "sneak a couple extra cars" through the yellow/red light. I typically make it a habit of driving straight at these A'holes to wake them up.
How the hell would you drive straight at someone running a yellow? If their light is yellow, yours is red, FYI.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #1037
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why are there Yellow Light Cameras?
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #1038
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, I know that's the rule. But in practical terms it helps the flow of traffic to just go through if it's not going to negatively affect anybody else. Maybe you enjoy waiting around for a five minute light cycle, but I have better things to do. I'm not talking about running red lights. I'm saying if the light is yellow and you could either go or stop, just go.

Where is there a 5 minute light cycle? Seems awfully long. In my experience, comuting to and from work everyday... lights are typically 1-2 mins.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #1039
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feel like grandpa Simpson making 2 of these in one week, but it RGMG earlier today, with a new acquaintance who's making a habit of this. As a non-smoker, smokers who light one up in your car during a short trip. If we're driving from Calgary to Edmonton, or even Red Deer, I understand you'll need to have a dart or two and I'll let it slide, as long as you're courteous and do your best to blow/ash it out the window.

But if we're driving from Anderson to Heritage, you can ####### wait for 10 minutes, especially knowing the person already doing you a solid and giving you a ride is a non-smoker. And if you seriously can't, my condolences to your life, enjoy smoking through a throat hole soon enough.

And GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #1040
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Where is there a 5 minute light cycle? Seems awfully long. In my experience, comuting to and from work everyday... lights are typically 1-2 mins.
Sliver's life is 5 times more difficult than yours.
Closed Thread