Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #81
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
You turned down ditching the wife to help your buddy move his new toy and get drunk playing video games because you were too busy/lazy/cheap to use your truck? A vehicle specifically designed to excel in this exact scenario?
How is he suppose to keep his truck in showroom condition if he's using it for things like moving and/or towing? Have you seen how beat up trucks get when you use them for actual work?! What do you think he is? A farmer?

Also gear grinder, people who drive sparkly clean trucks in the city and never use them for hauling anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #82
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
How is he suppose to keep his truck in showroom condition if he's using it for things like moving and/or towing? Have you seen how beat up trucks get when you use them for actual work?! What do you think he is? A farmer?

Also gear grinder, people who drive sparkly clean trucks in the city and never use them for hauling anything.
I have a buddy with a small furniture company. He sees it all the time. People have a truck but don't want to haul anything with it so they pay his exorbitant delivery fee.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #83
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What the hell is with UPS lately? Before Christmas I ordered a couple things off of Amazon. One being a camera lens. Both packages were just left at the door at the mercy of either a thief or the cold.

Then last night I was at the folks place and 5 of us were at the dinner table eating. There is a set of french doors leading to a deck just adjacent to the table. The UPS guy drives in and lobbs the package up to the deck from the bottom of the stairs with us all at the table watching him.

Is this a holiday season thing? I have always either been home to receive the package or the driver leaves a delivery notice.

UPS GMG.

Last edited by sa226; 12-28-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #84
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I have a buddy with a small furniture company. He sees it all the time. People have a truck but don't want to haul anything with it so they pay his exorbitant delivery fee.
Because $70 isn't worth hauling a bedroom set that weighs 500 pounds that comes in boxes that are awkward shapes. Sorry but the time, hard work and energy spent isn't worth it to most people.

Add to that if anything is damaged they'll blame you for doing it while delivering it yourself and it's a no brainer.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #85
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Is that because they don't want to use their truck or because hauling it up and down stairs is a pain in the ass?

I have a truck and move stuff around all the time but when my wife got a treadmill I paid the guys to deliver it to my basement because that thing weighs and f'ing ton and it isn't worth throwing my back out to move it in. It had 0 to do with having or not having a truck or worrying about getting my truck dirty.
The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #86
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Furniture, appliances, sod, drywall, lumber......

It is worth any amount under $100 an hour to have it delivered. I used to always handle that stuff myself, until I had a major bout of sciatica, and had to pay $75 extra for a drywall delivery. It was one of the most liberating experiences of my life.

Combine the potential damage to your vehicle and back, plus the wear and tear, fuel costs etc. There is almost no excuse to handle it yourself.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #87
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok, I understand the "for $50/$70/$100 I'll let some one else deal with hauling heavy stuff into my home from the store" argument, it's the same reason I pay some one to change my tires over twice a year, I just can't be bothered to do it myself.

But if you're never using the truck to haul stuff because it's a pain the butt, then why own a truck in the first place? I'm just not seeing any advantage a truck has over a car if you're not using it to move cargo anyways.

Last edited by Regular_John; 12-28-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #88
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, I understand the "for $50/$70/$100 I'll let some one else deal with hauling heavy stuff into my home from the store" argument, it's the same reason I pay some one to change my tires over twice a year, I just can't be bothered to do it myself.

But if you're never using the truck to haul stuff because it's a pain the butt, then why own a truck in the first place? I'm just not seeing any advantage a truck has over a car if you're not using it to move cargo anyways.
It makes no sense. You can rent half tons and cargo vans by the hour in every Home Depot. For the $50 bucks you would pay 2 or 3 times a year, you would save 20X over on fuel saving if you owned a Hyundai Accent. But some guys just like the macho feel of a truck, but won't admit it. They will make a million excuses as to why they need one, and it is usually half a dozen times a year in reality, which could easily be covered by renting, and in he end saving a pile of cash.

But it is the same argument as why do I have a gas sucking 1500cc motorcycle, when I could ride a 100cc scooter, and get the same net effect.

I would rather live in a world with soccer dad of 1 Ford Super Duties and 2000cc boulevard cruisers, than one with a sea of Hyundai Accents and Honda Sprees. Because any world where Accents and Sprees are the dominant forms of transpiration, is not one in which I want live in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #89
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I am not sure who is doing this so can't answer.

But I do agree if you have a truck to drive back and forth to work each day it doesn't make a ton of sense to me either.

I imagine people had to take something to the dump once and now think that will be a weekly thing if they have a truck.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #90
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

New one

People who start off counter arguments with "What are you talking about?"
I read that as "I know this is just a friendly casual discussion, but I'm just going to discredit everything you say because I'm a dickhead"
Old 12-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #91
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok, enough busting other's chops for today, a new gear grinder.

It grinds my gears every time I get a new "surprise" by discovering the previous owners/tenants of my condo lazily white washed cheap paint over something, ensuring that the unit looked good in the listing/walk through, but creating an on going list of headaches down the road.

Today's surprise, the 70's accordion closet doors that never quite closed properly. They've got a magnet & metal plate on either side that's suppose to keep them shut, but they've never really worked in the time we've been here.

So today I got tired for looking at a door taking up space while serving no purpose, so I unscrewed the thing, wrestled it to the ground only to discover that it is in fact not a crappy white door, but a brown door, with a crappy coating of white paint over it, which I can only assume contracted just enough to ensure the door never works properly again.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #92
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
It makes no sense. You can rent half tons and cargo vans by the hour in every Home Depot. For the $50 bucks you would pay 2 or 3 times a year, you would save 20X over on fuel saving if you owned a Hyundai Accent. But some guys just like the macho feel of a truck, but won't admit it. They will make a million excuses as to why they need one, and it is usually half a dozen times a year in reality, which could easily be covered by renting, and in he end saving a pile of cash.

But it is the same argument as why do I have a gas sucking 1500cc motorcycle, when I could ride a 100cc scooter, and get the same net effect.

I would rather live in a world with soccer dad of 1 Ford Super Duties and 2000cc boulevard cruisers, than one with a sea of Hyundai Accents and Honda Sprees. Because any world where Accents and Sprees are the dominant forms of transpiration, is not one in which I want live in.
So you basically don't like any place outside of North America? Because as far as I know, this is the only place where people drive them for non-commercial purposes.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #93
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So you basically don't like any place outside of North America? Because as far as I know, this is the only place where people drive them for non-commercial purposes.
No, but I would rather live somewhere I have the choice to drive whatever the fata I want within reason, than being restricted to state issued transportation or a rusty old bicycle.

I am the first guy to jump down the jacked up, white Oakley, tribal tattooed, Tapout wearing, Truck Nutz sporting D-bags. However, I would rather put up with 'that guy' then be forced to drive a state issued Lada Niva or Trabant.

Modern day Half tons are getting about the same fuel economy than mid sized cars were getting 15-20 years ago, so the consumption argument goes out the window. We have massive roads and an immense amount space to park them, so that argument goes out he window too. And a motorcycle driven by some poor Chinese villager spews about 10X the pollution a full size, emission controlled North American truck does, so that kills that angle. And we are generally a pretty wealthy nation that can afford to do whatever the hell we want, so that goes out the window too. It is all about choice. Just because I don't like someones taste in vehicles, T-shirts, or sunglasses, doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to have them.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #94
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Everyday i wish i still had my fusion.Even thought i love my truck I'm sure people don't like it because its kind of useless to me right know but im stuck with the paments and such until i can sell it in the summer.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #95
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I always love when you browse a thread and see someone change their post to "mods - delete post", like this is some small forum with a couple dozen users.

Like seriousy, "delete thread" sure, I get it. But I love the idea that you have a stupid post in a 200 post thread, one of 100's of threads active at any given time and you think the mods are going to come along and find your post and delete it for you.

Just edit it to "nm" like the rest of us, it's a huge community. I guess it doesn't grind my gears as much as it cracks me up when I see it.

It reminds me of little children calling out for their parents to wipe their bums lol.

"Whoops, this post isn't worth it....MMMMMOOOODDDDDDSSSSSSS, come delete this, NOW!".
Old 12-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #96
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Seriously dude? I own a 1990 POS truck that I hot wire when I start it and only use it to haul garbage to the dump. No idea where you got the idea that I own a 2014 truck that I'm too scared to get dirty.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #97
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
Seriously dude? I own a 1990 POS truck that I hot wire when I start it and only use it to haul garbage to the dump. No idea where you got the idea that I own a 2014 truck that I'm too scared to get dirty.
Meh it's Calgary, judging by the number of shiny new toy trucks on the road I see I took a stab in the dark. I was wrong this time.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #98
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
What the hell is with UPS lately? Before Christmas I ordered a couple things off of Amazon. One being a camera lens. Both packages were just left at the door at the mercy of either a thief or the cold.

Then last night I was at the folks place and 5 of us were at the dinner table eating. There is a set of french doors leading to a deck just adjacent to the table. The UPS guy drives in and lobbs the package up to the deck from the bottom of the stairs with us all at the table watching him.

Is this a holiday season thing? I have always either been home to receive the package or the driver leaves a delivery notice.

UPS GMG.
It seems the only time they knock or hit the door bell is when they want to rape you with ridiculous fees.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #99
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
I always love when you browse a thread and see someone change their post to "mods - delete post", like this is some small forum with a couple dozen users.

Like seriousy, "delete thread" sure, I get it. But I love the idea that you have a stupid post in a 200 post thread, one of 100's of threads active at any given time and you think the mods are going to come along and find your post and delete it for you.

Just edit it to "nm" like the rest of us, it's a huge community. I guess it doesn't grind my gears as much as it cracks me up when I see it.

It reminds me of little children calling out for their parents to wipe their bums lol.

"Whoops, this post isn't worth it....MMMMMOOOODDDDDDSSSSSSS, come delete this, NOW!".
They need this app

Old 12-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #100
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
They need this app

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread