Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2021, 12:09 PM   #421
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

+1 for the compressor blanket. We added one after as I sit outside a ton in the summer and the noise, even on a "quieter" unit was obtrusive. They aren't exactly expensive, and it will take them 5 minutes to install it while they're in there.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:11 PM   #422
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

-1 for the blanket. I like to let mine run at full volume as a motivator to my neighbour to work a little harder - maybe one day he too can have an air conditioned house.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 12:43 PM   #423
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

The quote was right around $3500, so pretty much what I was expecting. He said the unit I'm getting is not really loud at all but that they could come back and install a compressor blanket if it bugs my neighbors. On the other hand, they have a yappy dog that's outside all hours of the day so maybe that'll help drone him out and issue a little payback

I cannot wait to be able to be comfortable in my house when it's 30 degrees. I used to dread those days but not I feel like I'll be able to look forward to them.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #424
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
-1 for the blanket. I like to let mine run at full volume as a motivator to my neighbour to work a little harder - maybe one day he too can have an air conditioned house.
Hah! Touché!

Yes, AC has been a game changer for us. I love to be outside, but I do not want to come into an oven of a house when I’ve been enjoying the heat. AC was especially awesome during the smoky summers when it was gross to have windows open.

I think I told this story on here before, but a buck completely obliterated our first AC unit for some unknown reason. Put a bunch of holes right through it and almost knocked it off the bracket. Thankfully, insurance covered it, but that was quite a funny phone call.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:40 PM   #425
uofaflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Similarly we are looking to get central AC this year.

Any companies to avoid? Was just going to get a bunch of quotes from the well known places: Arpis, Reliance, etc.
uofaflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:19 PM   #426
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought both my units from Arpis. They are excellent to deal with.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:14 AM   #427
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anyone installed a mini-split in a loft and have comments or suggestions? Third floor, south facing loft with open floor plan that gets uncomfortably hot whenever the sun is shining. Existing central AC and poor duct work aren't enough to cool the loft.
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:21 PM   #428
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

As this is our first year with central AC I'm just wondering what to expect with the electric bill? We got a high efficiency Lennox installed. Just wondering what to expect for our first bill as next week looks hot!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:02 PM   #429
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I notice about $50-80 per month extra now that I have central AC compared to when we didnt have it. But it totally depends on how much you use it (ie. keeping your house at 21 will mean higher costs than 24) and also the weather is a huge factor too, a couple hot weeks in July can really add up but a couple weeks of cooler temps means less usage

TLDR - it all depends on weather and usage
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2021, 01:28 AM   #430
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I notice about $50-80 per month extra now that I have central AC compared to when we didnt have it. But it totally depends on how much you use it (ie. keeping your house at 21 will mean higher costs than 24) and also the weather is a huge factor too, a couple hot weeks in July can really add up but a couple weeks of cooler temps means less usage

TLDR - it all depends on weather and usage
$50-$80? no way, I keep mine at 17-19 and don't see nearly that much of a change.

21? I thought you bought AC to cool the house

Looking back at last years bills I can't compare to weather but its Jun $274, July, $348, Aug $306, sept $336. Compare to Dec it was $371
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:11 AM   #431
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
$50-$80? no way, I keep mine at 17-19 and don't see nearly that much of a change.

21? I thought you bought AC to cool the house

Looking back at last years bills I can't compare to weather but its Jun $274, July, $348, Aug $306, sept $336. Compare to Dec it was $371
Is that just electricity or electricity + gas? Seems pretty high for just electricity. If gas is in there winter would be high for heating.

If not, do you have other stuff that would be higher in winter (ie hot tub)?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 02:05 PM   #432
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe it's lower I will have to double check. I am going off memory from last year but pretty sure we had about a week in there when it was around 29 degrees and sunny and we were home all day everyday so kept it lower than if we were away during the day

I would love to keep it at around 19 but that would lead to marital issues

But all that said the bills in winter seem way higher, especially in Jan/Feb
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #433
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We had central AC installed last year. Consulted with a bunch of different companies including Arpi's (via Costco), Action Furnace, Gavin Rairie, Aquality.

Ended up going with Action Furnace. Felt they were the closest to giving us what we needed without trying to upsell unnecessarily, and had the most detailed assessment when they came to do a quote/assessment. Arpi's was by far the priciest option.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:11 PM   #434
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Is that just electricity or electricity + gas? Seems pretty high for just electricity. If gas is in there winter would be high for heating.

If not, do you have other stuff that would be higher in winter (ie hot tub)?
Yeah it’s gas and electricity and I forgot I do run an electric heater in the garage in winter.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:51 AM   #435
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
The quote was right around $3500, so pretty much what I was expecting. He said the unit I'm getting is not really loud at all but that they could come back and install a compressor blanket if it bugs my neighbors. On the other hand, they have a yappy dog that's outside all hours of the day so maybe that'll help drone him out and issue a little payback

I cannot wait to be able to be comfortable in my house when it's 30 degrees. I used to dread those days but not I feel like I'll be able to look forward to them.
No worse than an average utility bill in the winter, but obviously higher by a bit than what you might expect for your dips in utility bills in the summer.

One thing that helps is to get used to using a smart thermostat. That way, if you go out, leave your AC totally off when you're gone. Use your phone to turn on your AC around 30-45 minutes before you get home. You're new to AC, so being able to drop the temps to comfortable is the pure awesome you're pursuing for now. You're not used to having a pure climate controlled home, so that ignorance is bliss for now.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:43 AM   #436
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone know what i could expect for the cost of a unit for a 2600 SQfoot house (includes basement)

Im interested but holding off on quotes so i dont get pressure sold
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:08 PM   #437
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I think this week will be the first real test in our new house for how hot it gets in the summer. We moved in last September and until now I've never once thought it was hot enough to warrant getting AC, wonder if I'll still feel that way after a couple of 30 degree days
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:30 PM   #438
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
Anyone know what i could expect for the cost of a unit for a 2600 SQfoot house (includes basement)

A couple years ago ours was around $5000 - the house is 2100sq ft without basement, so probably roughly the same.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2021, 03:39 PM   #439
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post

I think a developed vs non-developed basement and straight line/curved hook up from the outside could also skew costs a bit depending if you need to do any additional prep work to connect the AC to the utility room.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2021, 03:54 PM   #440
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

True, ours was very straight forward with a quick shot through the wall to the furnace and breaker panel. And in all honesty, you don't need AC in the basement. To get it cool enough in our house everywhere else, we keep all of the basement vents closed, and it's still like a meat locker with all the cold air sinking.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post: