Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Hockey Alberta eliminates body checking in Pee Wee

As the thread title suggests, no more body checking for all of Pee Wee.

http://www.hockeyalberta.ca/index.ph...46/la_id/1.htm

I'm not really in the know, so I don't know if this is good or bad. However it seems like they are doing it for player safety, so you can't blame them for trying to protect the kids. Is this enough? Too much? Completely off base?

Discuss amongst yourselves.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
scobel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

In my opinion they went the opposite way on this. I don't make any sense to show kids how to hit when the are a couple years older, bigger and faster I believe more injury will occur because of this. I really think they should be learning body checking in atoms where the speed is less and the players are not so big and teach them the proper technique.
scobel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to scobel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is ridiculous. I have been coaching high level bantam for the past four years and to have kids come into this age group, which includes a large size difference between some players, without experience with contact is completely ridiculous to me. We will see a lot more serious injuries at the bantam level I think.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I think this is ridiculous. I have been coaching high level bantam for the past four years and to have kids come into this age group, which includes a large size difference between some players, without experience with contact is completely ridiculous to me. We will see a lot more serious injuries at the bantam level I think.
Good points.

I also think that many kids leave hockey early, because they are getting creamed by bigger kids that are the same age. That's why I left hockey around age 12.

If very few of the these players are going to play junior hockey, why do they need to hit at all, knowing what we do about concussions?

Maybe there can be two paths - one with hitting, and a more casual path without.

Last edited by troutman; 05-08-2013 at 10:50 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Good points.

I also think that many kids leave hockey early, because they are getting creamed by bigger kids that are the same age. That's why I left hockey around age 12.

If very few of the these players aren't going to play junior hockey, why do they need to hit at all, knowing what we do about concussions.

Maybe there can be two paths - one with hitting, and a more casual path without.
When I was a kid there was hitting in pee-wee but only above a certain division, so lower skilled kids wouldn't have been in hitting leagues. That seems to make sense, the better players will be seeing high speed contact in a year or two, they should know how to take and receive a hit.

If they're going to remove hitting from games they should at the very least make sure that the fundamentals are being taught at practice, you can't just drop kids into bantam and expect them to know how to hit.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Part of learning how to hit is learning how to take a hit.

taking it out of the game at that level and moving it up to a higher level isn't devastating however its something that they should be learning at that pee wee age.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Part of learning how to hit is learning how to take a hit.

taking it out of the game at that level and moving it up to a higher level isn't devastating however its something that they should be learning at that pee wee age.
Evidence is really clear that "learning" makes no difference later on in the kids hockey career. In fact, the only thing early body contact does is increase serious injuries. There is no demonstrable benefit to checking early
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
johnnyrocket03
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This is pretty dumb but nowhere near as dumb as the various sports leagues around the city that dont keep score.
johnnyrocket03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnyrocket03 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

They have studied this to death. If this is the way the data suggests then so be it.

The only issue I have with making the change now, is that they haven't let the new head contact standard of play be around enough. I suspect that was the culprit and not so much the body checking itself.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are there any recreational adult hockey leauges that are full contact? I dont know of any. So if adults arent willing to play full contact rec hockey why should kids. It is completely unecessary to subject kids to that risk for 1/10000 that play in the NHL.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ranchlands is contact.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

yah two leagues for hitting and non hitting might work these days especially in larger cities.

1 league is more geared toward possible hockey advancement in Junior or College and the other league is more a rec league.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm torn on this. I can understand the reason why they are doing it, but I'm not sure it's going to solve the problem. As others have pointed out, it might just make things worse in Bantam.

I was (and still am) much larger than the other kids. I was hitting kids literally 1/2 my weight (with a few of them ending up injured). Almost all of those hits were them trying to knock down the big guy though. I rarely sought out someone to destroy (unless he deserved it - leave my goalie alone!)

Thing is, the size differential didn't get any smaller in Bantam..
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Good points.

If very few of the these players are going to play junior hockey, why do they need to hit at all, knowing what we do about concussions?

This. 1000%

High level Rep hockey should have contact as all players have the same level of stability on the ice. How stable a kid is on the ice is far more a determinant for injuries than some vague "learning" of how to hit. I don't have the links anymore, but in a previous thread on the issue I provided lots of very clear evidence that peewee kids don't "learn" anything. They just get really hurt. The only case could be made for high level players.

My son recieved three concussions in one season. That was the only season they had hitting here. What did he or the kids who hit him from behind learn? Nothing. My son had bad headaches for 3 months after the last one. I asked myself why he needed to "learn" how to hit as I had been completely for it before. You know what? I couldn't think of a single reason. For kids not playing at a high level, the risk of head injuries is actually VERY high, and I cannot see what benefit is gained. They took hitting out the next year and the votes weren't even close. There were also a few fairly serious neck injuries and around 30% of kids were going to leave the sport of it wasn't taken out
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hockey Calgary has the Rec level of hockey that doesn't have hitting. This is for PeeWee through Junior.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #16
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
yah two leagues for hitting and non hitting might work these days especially in larger cities.

1 league is more geared toward possible hockey advancement in Junior or College and the other league is more a rec league.
I think this is the answer. Why does a kid that will likely never play at high level risk injury because a check. If you are only ever going to play rec hockey do you even need to learn to hit?

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have only seen a total of about 20 minutes of games in the RHC and man if you want to see kids play with their head down that is the league......

at least the decision is coming from Hockey alberta so it will be uniform across the province.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #18
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I played full contact Pee-wee, hit my head pretty hard a couple of times but I turned out hockey.
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to saskflames69 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #19
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Really poor decision. If they wanted to reduce contact, they should have instead instituted modified hitting rules. Reduce the situations where a player can get hit, while still building important fundamentals for this contact sport.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #20
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's silly. So kids now have to learn how to hit in bantam? ie, how to play the sport how it is meant to be played, at 14 years of age? It's a joke.

You need to learn at a smaller size. Calgary is already awful at producing NHLers. This will pretty much eliminate it.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote