Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2024, 09:46 AM   #61
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Wouldn't be difficult at all to find a team who wants a 2024 2nd round pick for a 2027 2nd round pick. Preserves the draft capital and solves the overloading problem.
Not to mention that between the differential runways between the NCAA/CHL/Europe it's unlikely that they'll all be entering the system at the same time in any given year. I don't see the volume of picks they have as an issue... having said that I think they want to hit the ground running so I imagine a few will be traded.

I also would wager that they're in play for Stephenson in free agency and goalies in trade (I also think they'll be used as a stalking horse for Stamkos who ultimately finds a way to resign in Tampa). I think they want a solid 1st season in the new market so they'll spend assets and money to make that happen.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 10:19 AM   #62
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Not that I think Stamkos would ever come to Calgary because he'd choose to sign with a contender but there are tons of reasons to sign stamkos to a 2 year deal.

Deal him at deadline. Good role model for younger players. Proven winner. 40 goals.
If you are dealing him at the deadline a 1 year deal is way better. Good role model? I need to see some evidence of that. Plus, what player of Stamkos' calibre is going to a team knowing he'll be moved? Player hate moving.

Can't argue much with his 2 rings but I'd argue he was, at most, the 4th most valuable player on his team both years.

Anyway, he's going to be in TB, or somewhere like Nashville, Detroit or possibly Montreal (the MSL connection).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 10:48 AM   #63
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
If you are dealing him at the deadline a 1 year deal is way better. Good role model? I need to see some evidence of that. Plus, what player of Stamkos' calibre is going to a team knowing he'll be moved? Player hate moving.

Can't argue much with his 2 rings but I'd argue he was, at most, the 4th most valuable player on his team both years.

Anyway, he's going to be in TB, or somewhere like Nashville, Detroit or possibly Montreal (the MSL connection).
Yeah, any deal that Stamkos signs will have a full NMC, especially if its a short term deal. He's not likely signing any deal on the basis that he's to be traded. He'll sign a deal where he wants to play. It might not be the most money, or the longest term. but he'll want to play there.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:36 AM   #64
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Yeah, any deal that Stamkos signs will have a full NMC, especially if its a short term deal. He's not likely signing any deal on the basis that he's to be traded. He'll sign a deal where he wants to play. It might not be the most money, or the longest term. but he'll want to play there.
In other words, any team that would have traded for him at the deadline has the opportunity to get him for free in the off season unless he extends. The only factor in favour of waiting is cap hit.
Old 05-03-2024, 01:49 PM   #65
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Not that I think Stamkos would ever come to Calgary because he'd choose to sign with a contender but there are tons of reasons to sign stamkos to a 2 year deal.

Deal him at deadline. Good role model for younger players. Proven winner. 40 goals.
Nope.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:59 PM   #66
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

That's why I said he wouldn't come to Calgary but you asked the question "why would calgary want to sign Stamkos"? There are a lot of reasons why Calgary would want to but a million more why Stamkos would never sign in Calgary.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 05:00 PM   #67
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
Nope.
Why? Because Rhett warrener said so? Warrener has hated stamkos for a while. Dreger was on the show and totally shut down that and said he's heard the exact opposite from his sources. I'd trust dreger before warrener.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:31 PM   #68
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The center of the universe mentality isn't just a Canadian thing with Toronto. It's the same for a lot of Americans in the larger US markets. Salt Lake City would be akin to Winnipeg in Canada to a lot of Americans.
I'm a little surprised at the amount of pushback on that in this thread.

Hockey culture is literally booze/partying and women. That's it. That's the list.

Remember when Dougie Hamilton was traded out of Calgary? The dirty rumor was that he preferred going to museums rather than going out with teammates.

I'm sure Salt Lake has some redeeming qualities, but I have a hard time imagining its going to be anything but bottom tier when it come to attracting players.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 02:34 PM   #69
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, because all human beings are the same, and want the same things.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 07:08 PM   #70
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

My biggest prediction is the negative Flames crowd in here will be crowing how better Utah will be than us.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 07:27 PM   #71
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I'm a little surprised at the amount of pushback on that in this thread.

Hockey culture is literally booze/partying and women. That's it. That's the list.

Remember when Dougie Hamilton was traded out of Calgary? The dirty rumor was that he preferred going to museums rather than going out with teammates.

I'm sure Salt Lake has some redeeming qualities, but I have a hard time imagining its going to be anything but bottom tier when it come to attracting players.
I’ve heard a lot of great things about SLC. Never been myself but heard the atmosphere is great and not nearly as bad as a place like Edmonton or Winnipeg. Everything I’ve heard is it’s akin to Vancouver. I’m sure the parties are fine for the players.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 07:38 PM   #72
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's why I said he wouldn't come to Calgary but you asked the question "why would calgary want to sign Stamkos"? There are a lot of reasons why Calgary would want to but a million more why Stamkos would never sign in Calgary.
I still think they don't want him because he comes with a two year deal at a minimum. That's not that useful to Calgary. They have better uses for their cap space.
Old 05-04-2024, 10:43 PM   #73
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Utah has signed its first player since the move:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1786978031468155348

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:58 PM   #74
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I’ve heard a lot of great things about SLC. Never been myself but heard the atmosphere is great and not nearly as bad as a place like Edmonton or Winnipeg. Everything I’ve heard is it’s akin to Vancouver. I’m sure the parties are fine for the players.
Akin to Vancouver? No, they have parking lots, freeways, left turn lanes, parking garages that don't leak wastewater, and a 10 minute ride on UTA to the airport. Mountains, lakes, everything. You can even park a car without fear that it will be stolen or broken into! SLC is a beautiful city with lovely people; way better than VCV or whatever the heck they call themselves.

"VAN" probably, which resolves to a town in eastern Turkey. I'd rather go there.

I'd rather be kidnapped in a van.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 08:23 PM   #75
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What would a Marner to Utah trade look like?

Assume he is willing to waive his NTC, but not extend (yet).
He has 1 year left at $11M. I can't imagine he is willing to re-sign for less $$.

I would assume a Schmaltz, Daniil But & a 3rd.
Maybe that is too much seeing as not many teams could afford Marner.

Ideas?
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 08:27 PM   #76
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
What would a Marner to Utah trade look like?

Assume he is willing to waive his NTC, but not extend (yet).
He has 1 year left at $11M. I can't imagine he is willing to re-sign for less $$.

I would assume a Schmaltz, Daniil But & a 3rd.
Maybe that is too much seeing as not many teams could afford Marner.

Ideas?
Suspect Utah would rather have Rielly if they are trading with the Leafs.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote