Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2018, 06:00 PM   #1
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default What is middle class in Calgary?

So, I've been reading through some articles on what makes someone a middle class citizen in Canada, and found a few interesting tidbits. They have shown middle class incomes starting in the $20000 range in some Maritime provinces all the way up to $90000 to hit baseline in a place like Ft. McMurry. Upwards of 90% of North Americans would identify as middle class which shows how misconstrued this concept is. As well as why the "middle class voter" is so vital politically. So let's simplify and localize, what makes a Calgarian middle class?
ignite09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

2400 sq foot vinyl palace, F-150, Honda CRV(or equivalent), a travel trailer and a dog. That's gotta be about as average as you get in this city.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

2400 square foot is well above average. Average house is likely in the range of 1700 or less.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Somewhere between $75k and $100k annual household income.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:43 PM   #5
P-Rugby
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Boston Pizza
Old 08-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #6
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's really tough to base on anecdote and personal experience, because we tend to know people like ourselves. If you hang out with people who get a new car every 5 years and fly to Mexico for vacation every winter, you'll probably think that's middle-class. If you hang out with people who always buy used and camp in B.C. every summer that'll seem middle-class to you.

But statistically, median income for a full-time worker in Calgary is $66k. Median household income is $99k. Median house price is $460k.

So Fuzz probably isn't far off the mark. Though I'd suggest in a middle-middle-class household, one of the vehicles was bought used.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:18 PM   #7
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

$500 000 debt
$100 000 household income
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:15 PM   #8
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think that the definition should not be income but security. If losing your source of income for a short period is devestating you would be lower class. If you can easily replace your income (in demand skills, savings) you would be middle class and if you don't have to worry about ever working again then you are upper class
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2018, 10:48 PM   #9
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
I think that the definition should not be income but security. If losing your source of income for a short period is devestating you would be lower class. If you can easily replace your income (in demand skills, savings) you would be middle class and if you don't have to worry about ever working again then you are upper class
So instead of using a measure of your economic position in society, such as income, we are going to use some fringe scenario of what happens if you lose your job?

If two people have the same income and one chooses to save, they are middle class, but if the other chooses not to save, they are lower class?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2018, 11:50 PM   #10
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
$500 000 debt
$100 000 household income

What if you're single? Because this is insane.
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:20 AM   #11
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
So instead of using a measure of your economic position in society, such as income, we are going to use some fringe scenario of what happens if you lose your job?

If two people have the same income and one chooses to save, they are middle class, but if the other chooses not to save, they are lower class?
The very definition of wealth is saving. So if we are classing based on income he makes an excellent point. I think his point is valid in that there are options.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #12
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

to me, if you have a house over 2000 sq feet, two newer vehicles, and your combined family income is over $125,000, you're at the very least upper middle class.

I support a family of 3 on less than $70,000 and if I had the above, I'd feel upper class and on easy street.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #13
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where does upper middle class end and upper class begin?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:35 AM   #14
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Where does upper middle class end and upper class begin?
I don't know. to hard to define. a matter of perspective from where you feel you sit.
that's where looking at one's saving comes in, on top of what you own and make.

I'm sure that what I feel would be a life of relative luxury, many here who had that would think they are solid middle class.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #15
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
That seems more a measure of financial prudence than class. There are people who earn 30k a year who have a comfortable nest-egg, and households that earn 300k who are leveraged to the tits and heading for bankruptcy.

I don't think being able to replace your income is a good litmus test either. A clerk at the Bay can probably replace her income quite easily. A directional driller, not so easily in today's economy. Does that make a Bay clerk middle class and a temporarily out of work directional driller not middle class?

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 08-22-2018 at 07:43 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #16
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Median family income in Calgary was $102,700 in 2015 according to this website:

https://regionaldashboard.alberta.ca...m=2011&to=2015

So plus or minus on that (from 2015 though so who knows now?):
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #17
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was a kid it was that smell that came from other's kids' houses at dinner time that was maddeningly delicious. I discovered as an adult it was Hamburger Helper and their 1980's pure msg flavour packages. I would add Shake 'n Bake to the list too but that's pushing upper and something I had only ever heard about, never witnessed.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #18
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Best definition I have come across is the point where a family has more than 1/3 of their income available for discretionary spending.

Canada wide that number is statistically about $59,000/year household income (assuming shelter/food/transportation are the essentials). In Alberta that would translate to about $71,000/year

Upper class would be those that make more than double the median income. So Canada overall would be $140,000 and in Alberta $190,000

so to put bounds on the middle class in Alberta

Household Income between $71,000 and $190,000

Last edited by gasman; 08-22-2018 at 08:00 AM.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #19
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP#26525 View Post
What if you're single? Because this is insane.
Well, i think you have your marching orders. Find a wife/husband....or increase your salary.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #20
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Well, i think you have your marching orders. Find a wife/husband....or increase your salary.
Or just don't have a $500,000 house.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote