Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2016, 05:54 AM   #81
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well he won it in 2014. Granted the Merc's had issues. But anything could happen, and he has proven he knows how to drive the track well.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #82
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I think a lot of it depends on the weather and how the upgrades go. Same could be said for Ferrari, who are rumored to be thinking about an engine upgrade for Montreal.

Right now it looks like we may have a repeat of 2011 with a forecast of heavy rain, 12mm, on Sunday and changeable conditions throughout the weekend. If it is raining off/on Saturday then the grid could get all messed up and make the race really fun.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:18 AM   #83
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trusting a forecast a week and a half out? Brave!

Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be a great race. Montreal is my second favorite.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:29 AM   #84
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Haha well I'm not for sure trusting it but I've been checking every day to see where it is at. Looks like typical spring/early summer weather with it changing between 20 and sunny and overcast/rainy throughout the day.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:54 AM   #85
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weather has been spectacular here the last couple weeks. Beautiful mostly sunny days, maybe some showers at night.
Here's hoping it holds
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #86
Redline
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm also headed to Montreal for my first F1. A couple questions:

-Did you find any value in bringing a radio? I've read about an FM broadcast during the race.

-Are you allowed to bring stadium seats in? I can imagine spending days on a bench could get uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I sat across from the pits last year. There are videos screens for when the cars aren't in front of you and commentary guys give you updates which is nice. We take for granted watching in tv how hard it can be to follow when you can only see like 10% of the track and have no one telling you why there's a red flag.

They are the only sections with seat backs which is nice. I believe you won't be limited in where you go then. Last year there was one checkpoint you could only get by if you sat in the main grandstand. Keep the riffraff out I think lol.

Only downside is you are on a straight so the cars go by in like 2s. It's still amazing though.

There are a few places where you can get pretty close to the track, like right up to the fence. Basically any area that isn't a section with seats is considered GA so you're free to just walk up as close as you can get. During P1 I walked around a bit and it was cool to see them from angles other than just my seats. Most areas are double fenced though so you don't get closer than about 15 feet from track at ground level.

your seats will be worth it just for the pre race grid, including celebrity sitings on track like Al Pacino last year, and of course the race start which is phenomenal. Oh and main grandstand is also good for post race because you can easily see the podium.

Good luck, have fun!
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #87
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Unfortunately I have no real answer to either question.

I sat in the proper seats last year in grandstand 1 for all three days so I didn't have a chance to see if anyone used stadium seats in the bleacher sections. I can't recall seeing anyone walking around with one but I'd hardly remember a detail like that unfortunately.

As for the radio...I didn't use one and I do seem to remember signs about renting a headset for a ridiculous amount of money but I never looked into tapping into the feed. I've read some complaints that an at track FM feed is no longer offered, not sure if that's true. For all I know the only way to get the feed is to rent a headset. I seem to remember them being hilariously expensive.

What I will reiterate is that the commentary at the track is good enough for Practice and Qualifying but not great for the race. There's just too much going on and having a radio feed would definitely be helpful if you want more than just the basic details like leaderboard and major events.

BTW at track commentary is split between french and english so be prepared to miss out on some stuff. I think they tend to repeat stuff but still you won't get a full detailed picture.

I'm pretty sure the commentary is available at all the grandstands, but it was definitely available at grandstand 1. Between that and the video screens you can at least have a decent idea of what is going on around the track at all times.

During the race though after a while the leaders and the middle of the pack and the back of the pack get all jumbled up so sometimes you won't be sure which battle you're watching unfold in front of you. I learned to just follow what I could and enjoy watching the cars fly by at 200mph.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #88
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Oh and the race is all but sold out. They're even adding extra seats to my Sunday section which is grandstand 12.

I'm pretty sure it was close to sold out last year. But if there are even more people I may expect a few more longer lines and wait times for stuff.

I'll add one other thing. There is a lot of downtime between the F1 stuff. And if you're like me you don't give a crap about the Micra Cup races, although the Ferrari challenge was cool. There's usually at least 3 other practice/qualifying/races going on other than F1. I think it was formula 3.5 or something as the 3rd one last year.

Anyway, point being, if you are going all three days and P1 and P2 are at 10am and 1pm (or whatever) on Friday, that leaves a lot of time for you to walk around and get to know the lay of the land. Then you can refine your plan for Saturday and Sunday.

Oh and last thing. If they do the Thursday open house this year, which I think they will as it was super popular last year, make sure you show up super early. It runs from 9am until noon and last year I showed up right at 9am. Except there was a 30 minute wait to catch a bus that drives you to the pits from the bridge (which in and of itself is a 10-20 minute walk from the metro station) and then once you get to the pits there was an hour long line up (at least) to meet the drivers.

I'm still bummed I didn't get to meet the drivers but I didn't want to spend my entire morning waiting in line.

Even if you don't meet the drivers you should go. You get to walk up and down pit lane and even a little on the track itself. But best of all is that the mechanics are working on the cars while you watch. It is awesome. Last year I was lucky enough to see them fire up the Ferrari while I was recording. It is roped off about 20 feet out from the garage but you get pretty close. Maurizio Arrivabene is as pretty yet intimidating in person as he looks on tv lol.

Sorry I'm kind of rambling here. I'm like that proud annoying parent that won't stop talking about their kids.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 06-02-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #89
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looking at the forecast (7 Day) looks like it might be dry on Sunday, Going to be an awesome race and really looking forward to see what Ricciardo will come up with.

2016 is turning out to be a great season with endless possibilities for teams and drivers.
Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #90
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Weather forecast had been getting progressively better for Fri/Sat/Sun every day until today. Now it is back to rain Sunday.

Not very much rain though and not super cold or anything so hopefully it is just overcast, which isn't so bad. It can get hot in the stands on a hot sunny day.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #91
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A little bit of rain will make it interesting! For those of us watching on TV, anyway. Sorry if y'all get a little wet, but I'm having trouble feeling bad...
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #92
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Montreal engine upgrades for Ferrari and RBR. Maybe they will have something for Mercedes after all.

Nothing out of Honda yet. They are the only team not to use a single development token this year. Wtf?!
Old 06-08-2016, 04:49 PM   #93
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Just landed. Plane was full of F1 fans. It's not bad out. Chilly no rain.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #94
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have fun! Super jealous.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #95
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Just landed. Plane was full of F1 fans. It's not bad out. Chilly no rain.
Today is the chilliest day in the last month or so. Tomorrow too. Friday/Saturday look great. Sunday iffy.
Enjoy!
(Don't forget Sparta Rotisserie - half block from old forum. A dive, but best chicken souvlaki ever!)
Old 06-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #96
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

At the open house. The red bull PR girl saw me in my jacket and invited me behind the ropes and let me take pics with the car from like 2 feet away!!!
Old 06-09-2016, 08:22 AM   #97
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

They wouldn't let me actually go in the garage. Also got to meet max and Daniel.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2016, 04:07 PM   #98
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Not to turn his into a travel blog but the open house was great other than the miserable weather. Also I feel slightly less special as it appears they invited many people beyond the ropes and not just red bull but other garages too, I was just the first I think. On the plus side They let me in solo so I got to see the garage without other people in the way. I feel it is karma for every time my friends have called me nascar when I wear red bull gear in public.

I should also clarify, I only got to meet max and Daniel at the regular autograph signing. Didn't mean that to sound like I got special vip access or anything. Although later I saw max take some pics with people who were let behind the ropes later than me but I was long gone by then. Got my program signed by the force India boys, Sauber guys and Daniel. Max seemed a bit grumpy and only signed the little card they give you. Daniel was his usual cheery self and got a deserving cheer when he came out. God I hope he wins.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 06-09-2016 at 04:17 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2016, 03:52 AM   #99
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep the F1 travel blog going!
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2016, 07:04 AM   #100
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, I won't kick you out of my thread. Plus then there is precedent for when I go to Monaco and fill 5 pages....one day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:

Tags
fast , formula , nascar sucks , racing