Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #3581
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Menorca was amazing. That deal was amazing.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tete For This Useful Post:
FFR
Old 05-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #3582
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Thanks cmyden!
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #3583
uofaflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Is Air Canada Rouge as bad as the reviews make it out to be for transatlantic flights?

Looking to fly to Spain in July - is it worth paying extra for another airline?
uofaflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:31 PM   #3584
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofaflamesfan View Post
Is Air Canada Rouge as bad as the reviews make it out to be for transatlantic flights?

I've never flown Rouge transatlantic, but I have to Vegas a couple of times. Would avoid it like the plague. If you are a short person though, if it saved you a couple of hundred dollars I would consider it. Seats aren't that bad other than pitch.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #3585
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Probably the best deal I have ever seen for a flight to Singapore. You'll just have to contend with possible physical abuse by United though

http://www.yycdeals.com/calgary-to-s...ncluding-taxes

United Airlines is showing flights from Calgary to Singapore for $692 CAD roundtrip including taxes.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #3586
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is Rouge so bad? I don't recall ever flying it, but what is it like compared to a Tango flight?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #3587
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Why is Rouge so bad? I don't recall ever flying it, but what is it like compared to a Tango flight?
Seat pitch mainly from what I hear. 29" on narrow bodies and 30" on the wide bodies.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #3588
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The seats are quite hard as well. Older planes, so noisier, no power outlets so with no entertainment, make sure you have a full charge. On top of that, you get the usually Air Canada levels of service. If nothing goes wrong, it's fine. If it does, and in my experiencing, that's about 70% of the time be prepared for a really sucky day or 2.

When I go to Europe, it's KLM first, and I'll consider Westjet and BA, depending on final destination. Really anything direct from Calgary to Europe is my priority, figure out the rest from there. I'd rather not transfer in Canada or US. I've found the price is only $100 or so more for other airlines, which IMHO is worth it to avoid the AC lottery.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #3589
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofaflamesfan View Post

We ended up on a Rouge flight from Rome to Montreal a few years ago (booked with points, didn't know when booking) as mentioned they are older planes, not real comfortable, TV's in the roof instead of seat back. Wasn't horrible but not a great experience either.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #3590
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Only flown short distance Rouge (YYC-LAS-YYC) on the A319

29" seat pitch, as a 5'7" average sized person, it was cramped... No power outlets on the A319 (no surprise, short haul). The IFE system took a little bit of time before I could get it working.

I find the seats about just as tough/stiff as other airline seats, but it was still uncomfortable.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #3591
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rouge - probably one of the most uncomfortable flights Ive taken, and I've flown Allegiant. Nothing went terribly wrong it's just the service, seat pitch etc.

With that being said - I'd still consider Rouge if it was the cheapest option by far, and only for short flights under 4 hours.

I imagine this is what Westjet's new low cost brand will be like
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #3592
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey cmyden,

what should I be looking at for prices to Argentina in the fall (October). Right now it's looking like $1600. Is that close to par or should I hold off a bit?
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #3593
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
Hey cmyden,

what should I be looking at for prices to Argentina in the fall (October). Right now it's looking like $1600. Is that close to par or should I hold off a bit?
The average bottom price from Calgary to Buenos Aires is somewhere in the $1300s CAD roundtrip these days. So $1600 isn't *too* out of line, depending on who you're flying with, number of stops, etc.

It's been a long time since there's been any really interesting price drops to Argentina! (May of 2015, when they dropped into the $800s).

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #3594
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a reason, when looking through Google flights that when i select a start date, it only shows return flights for 30 days? It must be possible to do longer stays, correct?

EDIT: nevermind, I can do it it just doesn't show prices in the calendar past that date.

Last edited by Fuzz; 05-14-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:07 AM   #3595
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
The average bottom price from Calgary to Buenos Aires is somewhere in the $1300s CAD roundtrip these days. So $1600 isn't *too* out of line, depending on who you're flying with, number of stops, etc.

It's been a long time since there's been any really interesting price drops to Argentina! (May of 2015, when they dropped into the $800s).
I'm going to piggy-back a bit here, and ask what is typical from YVR?

I'm teeing up a couple trips to either Buenos Aires or Rio. It looks like Vancouver to either bottoms out around:
  • Buenos Aires - ~$1,300
  • Rio - ~$1,500

Can prices be expected to dip below that with any frequency?
HOWITZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #3596
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWITZER View Post
I'm going to piggy-back a bit here, and ask what is typical from YVR?

I'm teeing up a couple trips to either Buenos Aires or Rio. It looks like Vancouver to either bottoms out around:
  • Buenos Aires - ~$1,300
  • Rio - ~$1,500

Can prices be expected to dip below that with any frequency?
Prices are pretty similar from YVR to Buenos Aires (EZE) as they are from Calgary. It's probably about $50 cheaper on average from YVR.

There were some pretty amazing prices to Brazil from across Canada in 2015/2016...

http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-rio-d...quired-in-june

But since about mid 2016, the only notable price drops from Calgary or Vancouver to anywhere in South America have been Aeromexico's flights to Peru, Ecuador, and Colombia.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #3597
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

cmyden - seeing a lot of deals recently to other places in Asia, but not Tokyo . . . Know of anything existing/coming up that may offer good flights (direct or not) to Narita or Haneda? Looking to book New Years or beginning of 2018.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #3598
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been looking at booking a multi-city trip from YVR to Bogota, Buenos Aires, and Rio for next February and am wondering if I'm doing it the most effective way. Using the ITA Matrix, I see that airfare will cost roughly $2000. Are there any other sites I should be checking or different methods I can use to find cheaper flights?
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:45 AM   #3599
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

cmyden, do you have any knowledge/experience with taking a train from paris to barcelona?

We are going on a transatlantic cruise, starting in barcelona and ending in NYC.

I'm thinking of flying into Paris and staying a few nights, then taking a bullet train to Barcelona a day before our cruise departure.

What is the best way to book a one way train ticket for 2 adults and a 1 yr old? We are leaning towards the train route because we haven't travelled by train before, and also with all the baggage we'll be packing for an 11 night cruise, plus all the baby stuff (stroller, car seat, etc), Easyjet/Ryan air would cost an arm and a leg for baggage alone.

Do you have a recommended website to book train tickets? Do you know if there is much waiting time for security/customs, etc?

I've never taken a train before in Europe, so any tips/advice is appreciated.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #3600
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
cmyden, do you have any knowledge/experience with taking a train from paris to barcelona?

We are going on a transatlantic cruise, starting in barcelona and ending in NYC.

I'm thinking of flying into Paris and staying a few nights, then taking a bullet train to Barcelona a day before our cruise departure.

What is the best way to book a one way train ticket for 2 adults and a 1 yr old? We are leaning towards the train route because we haven't travelled by train before, and also with all the baggage we'll be packing for an 11 night cruise, plus all the baby stuff (stroller, car seat, etc), Easyjet/Ryan air would cost an arm and a leg for baggage alone.

Do you have a recommended website to book train tickets? Do you know if there is much waiting time for security/customs, etc?

I've never taken a train before in Europe, so any tips/advice is appreciated.
I've just booked train tickets via the French rail site SNCF in the past. You can take the TGV from Paris to Barcelona - I think it's about 4 hours? I'll give you a warning, there is not a lot of luggage storage area in most trains, I'd strongly suggest travelling with a very small umbrella stroller and not bringing the car seat. Even though I am crazy anal about car seat safety here in Canada, I suck it up and travel without one for my kid for overseas travel - if we need one for a rental car, I rent one there. Most taxi drivers will not be thrilled with you trying to install one in a cab.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote